Rosetta The Comet Chaser - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rosetta The Comet Chaser

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aliens

well... if you at the gif above again something does appear to move accros the view diagonally form bottom right to middle left. Looks like a black 'ufo'... no doubt just a fly on the lens. :wink2:

edit: there is another one going to the top right corner as well...

Edited by thplinth

What sort of area is that "light" covering?

Would like to know that myself. Planet diameter on average is 590 miles I think (could be km). So it must be fairly sizeable, a few square miles maybe? Total guess work...

Surely there is only one truth?

That depends on your definition of "truth". "Truth" isn't a word you hear scientists use very much.

Scientists develop a theory based on the evidence available to them. They then devise experiments to make measurements. If they analyse the data and this backs up their theory then that theory becomes more robust and accepted my more people. If the data doesn't back up the theory then the theory can be adapted or binned altogether and they devise a new theory. These theories are constantly evolving based on the new evidence which becomes available.

We already have loads of information about comets based on earlier measurements and observations. This Rosetta mission gets us closer to a comet than we have ever been before. Scientists are hoping that this mission will give them loads and loads of more data about this particular comet. That information will either back up current theories or lead to new ones. It will probably be a mixture of both.

Since this thread has been resurrected (and yes that is a joke too) can I point out the sense of humour bypass above.

Ok you got me. I have nae idea what you are talking about.

One truth?

The point was dig at religious zealots who believe in the absolute word of the bible. I think it was current on here at the time. you and I know there are no absolute truths just the best view we have based on the evidence we have.

One truth?

The point was dig at religious zealots who believe in the absolute word of the bible. I think it was current on here at the time. you and I know there are no absolute truths just the best view we have based on the evidence we have.

Maybe it was one of them "you had to be there" moments? I'm sure it was funny at the time. ;)

• 4 weeks later...