Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't think this is a bad thing I do think that the effort could be better spent catching the drivers who intentionally drink way over the limit and drive. This small percentage cause way more harm than those that have between 50-80mg. Another area is people driving sleep deprived. Read an article saying that someone who hasn't slept in 24hrs has slower reactions than someone who has drank a half bottle of vodka. Drove when absolutely shattered before coming off night shift etc but wont do it again, so dangerous.

Totally agree on lack of sleep. I think that was a factor in the Selby accident.

If this goes in I hope self breathlysers are on sale in scotland.

I remember asking for one in a shop when I lived in glasgow to frowns of the shop owner.

I know drink driving is bad, hence I want facts not anecdotal 'I feel ok' morning after.

You can buy these in halfords, have been able tonfoenyears. Have one in the house, not 100% accurate but gives you an very good idea. Its amazing how often it says you are way over when you think you're OK.

Edited by Kirk

You can bet they will be stopping people in the morning to catch a few hungover drivers instead of targeting the pished as a newt drivers the night before.

That's exactly what I think will happen. There appears to be no information out there about how many deaths are caused by people with a blood / alcohol level between 50mg and 80mg (apparently 20 deaths were caused in the last year by people over the current limit i.e. 80mg).

I abhor drink driving (it's totally selfish - same goes for mobile phone use) but the aim here seems to go for the soft target rather than the hardcore offenders who'll drink-drive no matter what limit is set.

Edited by Charlie Endell

The Scottish Goverment says it has no powers to reduce the penalties as only Westminster can do that; so, we're having the same limit as many European countries, but without their more sensible approach to enforcement (unnecessarily criminalising many people).

It's government by fear and I'm not convinced it'll be backed up by extra traffic officers; I've never been breathalysed in 27 years of driving.

The Scottish Goverment says it has no powers to reduce the penalties as only Westminster can do that; so, we're having the same limit as many European countries, but without their more sensible approach to enforcement (unnecessarily criminalising many people).

It's government by fear and I'm not convinced it'll be backed up by extra traffic officers; I've never been breathalysed in 27 years of driving.

I could see this just being used for (cynically) generating revenue via morning after testing.

Alcohol impairs you're ability to control your body and impacts on decision making. If it were subjected to the same rigours other drugs have it would not even be sold.

I know they can't have zero tolerance due to some trace elements from loads of substances , but it should be as close as possible.

Very god point. Some drugs on the other hand have the opposite effect. I always used to drive perfectly coming back from clubs eccied oot my nut at 6am so not all drugs have a bad effect on driving ability.

Very god point. Some drugs on the other hand have the opposite effect. I always used to drive perfectly coming back from clubs eccied oot my nut at 6am so not all drugs have a bad effect on driving ability.

the disassociation caused by E when i took them wouldn't lend itself to safe driving in my experience.