The Science Delusion - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not seen this one he was on the Joe Rogan Podcast a few weeks back and i ended up listening to him.

He is a distinguished, highly qualified & experienced professional scientist himself. But he is also very amusing and a class act.

I preferred his delivery in this lecture but the sound is poor for the first 30 mins with someone coughing but if you can get past that it is also good - almost exactly the same lecture.

(By the way I know you follow this but 7 seconds...that is an eternity.

http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/brain-scans-can-reveal-your-decisions-7-seconds-before-you-decide)

Not seen this one he was on the Joe Rogan Podcast a few weeks back and i ended up listening to him.

Joe Rogan has some great guests on his podcast. Unfortunately he does my head so much i can`t listen any more. Chris Ryan`s Tangentially Speaking is very good if you like that type of thing.

Was going to post this in the science thread...thought you might find it interesting Scotty.

That's a wee bit too philosophical for my taste. I only managed the first 20 minutes, so I could be havering here, but he seems to be assuming that there is a purpose. Maybe there is no purpose?

Joe Rogan has some great guests on his podcast. Unfortunately he does my head so much i can`t listen any more. Chris Ryan`s Tangentially Speaking is very good if you like that type of thing.

Yeah i've watched maybe 10 out of the last 150, , yeah heard of Chris ryan not picked up on his podcast yet though.

The experiment that gets me is the one where they fire a single electron at a time at the slots and it produces a wave interference pattern. . But then if you watch which slot it goes through it then produces a stream of particles pattern. Don't watch the slot, it changes to a wave pattern.... All because you watch which slot it went through.

The experiment that gets me is the one where they fire a single electron at a time at the slots and it produces a wave interference pattern. . But then if you watch which slot it goes through it then produces a stream of particles pattern. Don't watch the slot, it changes to a wave pattern.... All because you watch which slot it went through.

I have never managed to get my head round that one. They are obviously not explaining it properly. :lol:

That was good.

So reality effectively 'resolves' as we observe it. Oooookaaaay. Anyway why is that idea so weird I wonder, such a leap, after Physics invented 96% of all matter (and then called it 'dark' to explain how they could not see it) just to get their equations to work out.

Nothing exists for sure until an conscious entity observes it. I find it quite an easy idea in comparison...

However I suspect conventional science is shitting itself that after a campaign of relentless extermination it may have reinvented a sense of 'spirit' by the back door.

Edited by thplinth

I guess the only question left now that all of the observable universe only physically manifests when we observe it is, are you (i.e. other conscious observers) an 'independent' observing consciousness capable of sustaining this reality when I say, leave the room, or have a nap, or am I ultimately manifesting all of you also.

I guess the only question left now that all of the observable universe only physically manifests when we observe it is, are you (i.e. other conscious observers) an 'independent' observing consciousness capable of sustaining this reality when I say, leave the room, or have a nap, or am I ultimately manifesting all of you also.

There will never be an "only question left". Every time we think we have answered one question it leads to dozens more new questions.

There will never be an "only question left". Every time we think we have answered one question it leads to dozens more new questions.

Did you see the bit where he was in the pool with the wave generator and he said something like if you stand in the sea you know the difference between a wave and a particle.

Do you?

The wave particle paradox is nothing more than an expression of the hypothesized fact that E = M.

The fact energy = mass is the paradox, waves and particles are just the two sides of the equation.

edit: Mass is just a trick that Energy learned. :wink2:

Edited by thplinth

• 1 year later...

Thought I would resurrect this thread after watching this on iPlayer earlier. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xxgbn/horizon-20102011-9-what-is-reality

I know the square root of jack shit about quantum physics and the like, but it doesn't stop me being fascinated by this kind of programme. I have heard about the duel slit experiment before, but some of the other theories in there were a proper headfvck!