The Missing - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Surprised there's not been a thread on this already, anyone else watching it?

Although the subject matter is a bit harrowing and they've clearly lifted some of their plot lines from real life cases (Madeline McCann, Shannon Matthews) I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I've got a few theories/questions going in to the last episode but I'll wait to see if anyone is watching first!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hurry up and catch up! :P

(Or don't read this thread again for a while!)

James Nesbit has just smashed in Rebus's heed. That is where I am up to. I have to say Ken Scott has put on some beef by the way, I think he was great though, creepy basa!

James Nesbit has just smashed in Rebus's heed. That is where I am up to. I have to say Ken Scott has put on some beef by the way, I think he was great though, creepy basa!

Aye a couple of interesting things still to happen. Stott's acting during his "confession" on the boat was superb.

I think I've kind of got it sussed but it also seems a bit convenient as well.

Aye a couple of interesting things still to happen. Stott's acting during his "confession" on the boat was superb.

I think I've kind of got it sussed but it also seems a bit convenient as well.

Go on then, what's your theory? I'm totally puzzled - whats the relevance of the item they got from the journalist? Looked like some kind of a coin? As soon as the journalist, and James Nesbitt saw it, they both seemed to know it's significance straight away

OK, here goes. It'll be a bit long winded so apologies in advance.....

I reckon that the hotel owners husband is heavily involved in some way. The coin that they revealed at the end of the last episode was one of his sobriety chips that the wife showed to Tony a couple of episodes ago. Add to that the husband and the Mayor both have the same surname (Delacoix) so assume they are brothers. The Mayor has been revealed to have links to Garrett and has been trying to get the case shut down since episode one more or less. So, my very loose theory is along the lines of the Mayor and his brother were involved in the same paedo ring as Garrett. Vincent Bourg found this out through his "connections" and that's why Garret was threatening Bourg's Mum.

A couple of things still jar with me though. The English copper, now with the Mum, how convenient was it that he was already in the same town at the time Olly went missing. And on his own with his son? Was the kidnapping of the other kid by his dad in the last episode a pointer that that's what the English cop was planning to do and Olly got taken by mistake?

And how come the TV in that same room has been broken for 8 years? Surely there must be some relevance in that? And how did Olly's scarf end up in that charity shop, he wasn't wearing it when he was taken.

And have you noticed that you only every see the hotel owners husband in flashback, never in the present? Has that ever been explained? And lastly, the music at the end credits of the last episode was a Marilyn Mansonesque version of Heartbreak Hotel....

Edited by Fairbairn

Interesting!

I'd reply, but I've no idea how to do that hidden spoiler thingie!

Edit: I'll reply in white text!

Well spotted about the sobriety coin! And I did notice the last couple episodes that the hoteliers husband has been on the edges of a couple scenes outside the hotel looking shifty!

Excellent spot as well that he and the Mayor have the same surnames.

Yeah, the TV not working has been mentioned a couple times now - maybe it's a secret camera that was/is used in that room?

I think the scarf was just something that was thrown in to get the show moving along - Tony spotted it, and it was able to give them the chance to link it to that house.

Hopefully the last episode is a cracker.

Changing subject slightly, is anyone else watching 'The Fall'? I see it's aired a day earlier on RTE in Ireland for those who are able to access other channels and can't wait til Thursday!

Edited by Maq

One theory I've just read about the scarf:

Ollie's scarf was found at a charity shop after being handed in by a woman who found it in a house she bought, where it turns out Ollie was kept. However he wasn't wearing his scarf when he went missing which means it was taken and given to him by someone who had access to his hotel room: the hotel guy!

Interesting!

I'd reply, but I've no idea how to do that hidden spoiler thingie!

Edit: I'll reply in white text!

Well spotted about the sobriety coin! And I did notice the last couple episodes that the hoteliers husband has been on the edges of a couple scenes outside the hotel looking shifty!

Excellent spot as well that he and the Mayor have the same surnames.

Yeah, the TV not working has been mentioned a couple times now - maybe it's a secret camera that was/is used in that room?

I think the scarf was just something that was thrown in to get the show moving along - Tony spotted it, and it was able to give them the chance to link it to that house.

Hopefully the last episode is a cracker.

Changing subject slightly, is anyone else watching 'The Fall'? I see it's aired a day earlier on RTE in Ireland for those who are able to access other channels and can't wait til Thursday!

Watched the first series of The Fall. Got all this one saved and will get tore in to it once The Missing is finished (the wife has trouble concentrating on more than one thing at a time....!)

Started watching this half way through have managed to catch up, it has been excellent. Theories on here are maybe too obvious?

That's what I was thinking, it all seems a bit convenient. I liked the theory on that Radio Times link about the Mum being involved. She's about the only person I haven't suspected at some point. Would also make sense why she's ended up with the English copper if he was involved as well. There was something about the way that his son shouted "Mum" when he was in the hospital with his broken leg that didn't sit right with me but couldn't put my finger on it at the time.

really enjoying this too, though I have to say they have drawn it out a bit. hasnt spoiled the enjoyment but some episodes could have been halved. still, looking forward to the final next week.

have to say the first episode where the son went missing was pretty hard to watch having kids myself. just doesnt bear thinking about.

I remember once on holiday in Ibiza and we were walking off the beach and into a restaurant, my son somehow lagged slightly behind. I suppose because we were scanning for tables we didnt notice - turned round at the table and he was gone. absolutley sh8t myself. the worst sinking feeling I have ever experienced!

called for him and then started shouting - my wife nearly lost it, but he was fine, he had just wandered past us inside the restaruant to look at the lobsters in the tank. its difficult because you need to give them an element of freedom but I never took my eye off him for the rest of the holiday.

It has been brilliant.

it has been hard to watch at times and, as a father, I hope they reunite the kid with his parents on Tuesday.

I expect the mayor is involved but think the kid may have been locked up in the hotel the entire time.

A few people I've spoke to have said the same thing re the hotel. I'm really starting to think that the broken TV is a key clue.

TV drama at its best, with some excellent acting. Also loving the pace of it - don't think it has dragged at all.

The hotel with the dud TV and dodgy landlord has to be key... and the mayor... and the journalist... and the English cop....

Actually, I don't have a clue - looking forward to the final episode on Tuesday!!

Well that would explain why he's not in the present day scenes. What happened to him though?! Although to be fair he never looked particularly healthy!

It seemed fairly inconsequential?

So much so I can't remember what was said?

I think "Tony" may have just said "sorry to hear about Alain" on one of his returns to the hotel?

I just dismissed it as irrelevant, as you said, he didn't appear the healthiest.

Still something about the cop that was in jail to come out? And the journo?

They must've stabbed him for a reason?

Although a cop getting stabbed in jail is not surprising, the timing suggests it's relevant.

Don't think the journo is a player in it? Think he's no longer relevant after giving them the coin?

Quite strange, as I'd only seen him in a comedy before, quite a contrast to his dark character in this.