New Labour Leader - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Labour Leader

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottish Labour vote for their Branch convener. They willingly choose the Tory collaborator, Murphy. I knew those photos of him, shoulder to shoulder, with his East Ren Tory chums would come in handy...... :D Cannae wait to hear Murphy at FMQ's wae Nicola......oh.........wait.... :wtf:

B4vMJBbCEAAsVKO.jpg

As someone better than me put it, Murphy is one of the biggest problems of Scottish Labour and they have just elected him as leader - you could not make it up

Not if the BBC and daily record have anything to do with it.

True

Here is a little insight into the delusion of the Labour party

Alan Johnson on the Andrew Marr show said that this is great news for the Labour Party then went on to say that since Donald Dewar there has been nobody of that stature to lead Scottish Labour and in Murphy they have that.

Now lets think about Donald Dewar, Jack McConnell and Henry McLeish for example

As far as i am aware 1.6 million Scottish voters did not utterly despise these people not to mention a good number of their own party (see how some of the parliamentarians voted in the leadership election and the upcoming resignations)

So pray tell how this can be good for the Labour party ?

Also as we all know the referendum has made Scotland politically aware which will very much work against Murphy

Edited by Ally Bongo

B4xMiULCEAAeu1a.jpg

Is that background pic a chameleon? Or a snake? Or a lizard? Whatever it is, it's is a nice subtle metaphor for Murphy. Well done Sunday Herald.

Aside from that, I think it would be very foolish of the SNP not to respond to Murphy for what he claims he now is, rather than what his past indicates he (possibly) is. We're not fighting an election based on the past, so that's not a valid footing to go into battle on. If he remains a Blairite at heart people will see through any pretence otherwise. If he has had a left wing epiphany then the SNP (and other lefty parties) have to base their strategy accordingly.

At least the SNP can now play the man rather than the ball which is what the other side did with Salmond for so long

This time though the SNP have plenty ammo

Nicola will have a harder time than Alex did with JL.

but im confident she has enough in the locker to deal with Murphy in First ministers questions when the time comes.

Main concern is the media loving him. Ideally ge would be dumped in may and face a wilderness year until SP election.

Is that background pic a chameleon? Or a snake? Or a lizard? Whatever it is, it's is a nice subtle metaphor for Murphy. Well done Sunday Herald.

Maybe it's a representation of a dinosaur?

But surely premature to write the guy off. He was recently part of a winning campaign and Labour have not lost any actual Westminster seat for a long time. If he continues to receive such positive press it could be like Blair all over again - the electoral success bit, not the betrayal of the working class bit.

As for the Sunday Herald, I haven't seen enough of it recently to judge. But isn't it in danger of preaching to the converted? The clever trick the Scotsman and other papers pull off is to appear in principle politically neutral, draw readers in, and then subtly or not so subtly work their influence in to the tone, text and imagery on the inside. To convince unionists or Labour supporters that Murphy is a dinosaur surely needs to draw them in, rather than starting out by portraying him as a scary lizard? I may have missed it, but did the Scotsman or Record ever caricature Sturgeon so blatantly, to turn off half their potential readership?