Queen Was Asked To Intervene Amid Yes Vote Fears - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Queen Was Asked To Intervene Amid Yes Vote Fears

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news is that the queen agreed - previously we were informed that despite Cameron's request, she stayed aloof. Anyway, her eventual contribution was pretty cryptic - an exhortation to 'think carefully' about the vote could well be taken as an endorsement of yes, as studies showed that the more informed voters were, the more likely they were to vote yes...

I'd love to "

The news is that the queen agreed - previously we were informed that despite Cameron's request, she stayed aloof. Anyway, her eventual contribution was pretty cryptic - an exhortation to 'think carefully' about the vote could well be taken as an endorsement of yes, as studies showed that the more informed voters were, the more likely they were to vote yes...

You are either being naive or seeing the Queen through rose-tinted glasses.

When you ask someone to "think carefully" it can only be seen as a warning and as such a warning against voting Yes.

If I ever bumped into her at Crathie Kirk there would be no "begging your pardon".

Edited by tomtscotland

The idea her remark was cooked up by civil servants is surely new?

It implies she is the puppet of government, after all. Democracy, hey?

The news is that the queen agreed - previously we were informed that despite Cameron's request, she stayed aloof.

Exactly. So - in the context of staying neutral - when she said her little personal remark, it seemed this was her way of getting her personal opinion across in a cryptically neutral way.

Also: that makes it clear how come, within moments of the cryptic remark being made to the bystander, it was all over the news like a rash.

It was not a random remark to a random bystander, which could accidentally have remained private.

The bystander didn't even need to have existed. Did we ever learn who the bystander was, or was it just a Downing Street press release?

It was a veiled threat and is now revealed as having been carefully crafted as such and spat out the first opportunity. I would not be surprised if the person who asked her the question was a set-up as well just so the old could spit it out while on camera...

Whankers then whankers now.

Edited by thplinth

A royal journo apparently saying in that article that it was the first time in 40 years reporting that a person who the Queen spoke to outside the church, refused to give their name when asked for by him.....

Was always a bit ambivalent about the Royal family, for me now, they are fair game for challenge on their status.

Her contribution was only 'cryptic' if you view it as a stand-alone, off the cuff comment.

But it wasn't. It was carefully planned by her advisors, and it was instantly trumpeted by the Unionist press as 'the Queen says vote No'.

It was a choreographed comment designed to give the No campaign a boost. Sadly...and I mean that genuinely....the Queen did become a political tool used by the Cringers.

Pfft. I'm no monarchist, but I've always held that if the Queen didn't bother me, I wouldn't bother her. Got a couple of paid holidays off the back of her 60 years on the throne recently, so I'm generally well disposed.

Might have to revise that opinion.

That's my take on her. Never really minded her. She can phuqq right off now though.

Would be interesting to fnd out the truth of the dirty tricks from the state sponsored Better Together campaign once the private memos, cabinet office briefings etc are eventually released. Anyone who thinks that a country which has had undercover cops fathering kids with women they're monitoring, the Met smearing the family of Stephen Lawrence, the RUC conniving in terrorist murders of lawyers in Northern Ireland and its ministers aiding the torture of its citizens in Guantanamo, not to mention starting a war on a false prospectus, would have any qualms about gutter tactics in the referendum is deluded.

Probably won't come out for another 40 to 50 years or so when most of us are deid.

Naive to think the prime bastion of Britishness wouldn't have a Better Together viewpoint.

But we were told she remained above politics and would not bow to political pressure to express an opinion.

All the while they were feeding her lines, and then instantly broadcasting it as her private apolitical view.

OK so here's the Telegraph's take on it on the 14th sept

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11095406/Queen-tells-Scots-to-think-very-carefully-about-independence-vote.html

- a royal insider told the Telegraph: "Someone in the crowd outside the church said something to her and she went over and said those words. It was completely spontaneous, but it was said in response to someone in the crowd.”

- a police sergeant invited members of the press waiting 200 yards away to come up to the church to see the royal party depart.

- Donald Stewart, an experienced photographer... said it was a very unusual invitation, and the kind of thing that happened “once or twice in a generation” on special occasions.

- Asked what the Queen had said to the group, a woman who asked not to be named, replied: "She was lovely and said she hoped everybody would think very carefully about the referendum this week".

- A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: “We would never comment on a private interchange." - even one crafted in Downing Street?