Old Stadium Pics - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Stadium Pics

the size of that terracing is amazing

why was the east stand when it was converted in the 70s or 80s so small

The top tier was dismantled and raised to the ground, it lay empty for many years, used sometimes as a car park. It was just size of crowds that drove the size of the East during the 80's. Can remember being at the top of the terracing in the East as a young laddie, only game I remember is Pat Stantons testimonial for some reason. It seemed huge at the time (1978) not sure though if the top tier was gone by then though.

Biggest crowd at your ground I was at was the World Youth Cup Semi final against Portugal. Over 30k in that night at Tynecastle with another 10k locked outside! Cant imagine 60k in there, that night was so full, it was frightening.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at that game.

1980. Finished 1-1 and it was a bit hairy being a Dons fan in the enclosure that day.

Also memorable for a group of fans by passing security to watch from the building site.

The old Centenary Stand was being replaced by the Govan Stand.

Game is on youtube IIRC and starts with a zoom in of Aberdeen fans in the sections getting rebuilt and Archie MacPherson tut tut'ing lol

I'm nothing if not predictable!

A shot of Telford street park, Caley's ground probably taken in the 20's or 30's. The ground is slap bang in the middle of the photo, not quite as imposing as some of the others on this thread but still.......

SPW022141.jpg

Is that just lots of fields around it? Equivalent of an out of town stadium today? Edited by iainmac1

Game is on youtube IIRC and starts with a zoom in of Aberdeen fans in the sections getting rebuilt and Archie MacPherson tut tut'ing lol

Just watched that.

Funny how you remember some games clearly from years ago but struggle with some from earlier in the year,

It was as I remember it - everything of note happened in the first half.

It was Rangers fans who broke onto the building site.

Probably only a few hundred Dons fans there that day.

What was the capacity of Muirton?

The capacity changed several times in my lifetime. I remember it being as low as 6k at one point just before McD opened and as high as 17500. Biggest crowd was 29 thousand odd. Edit to add - it was used as a neutral ground for Aberdeen v Killie Scottish Cup semi final in 1970 - crowd was 25k odd

Edited by Capital Saint

The capacity changed several times in my lifetime. I remember it being as low as 6k at one point just before McD opened and as high as 17500. Biggest crowd was 29 thousand odd. Edit to add - it was used as a neutral ground for Aberdeen v Killie Scottish Cup semi final in 1970 - crowd was 25k odd

Cheers.

My dad was at that. Shambles by all accounts. Don't think either set of fans covered themselves in glory. Think the football specials from Ayrshire got wrecked.