Islam Feruz - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Islam Feruz

iainmac1

Maybe this changes some thinking behind his not wanting to play for Scotland. I still doubt he will be good enough though.

Chelsea's 19-year-old striker Islam Feruz describes as untrue some of the reports that he did not want to play for Scotland, the country he moved to from Somalia when he was 10. He says he has told manager Ricky Sbragia that he is hoping for a call-up to the Scotland Under-21s. (Sunday Mail)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, he needs to do a bit more than tell Sbragia he hopes to be called up.... like earning the call up in the 1st place!

This looks, on the surface, like someone who's once high profile has taken a nosedive and is desperate to be kept visible on the international radar.

Although with Sbragia in charge it may be the wrong manager in situ to appreciate any silky skilled striker looking for a call-up!

What age is he ? Time to start delivering some first team performances ? Whether its at a lower league - who cares.

Consistent first team football is required, just like Ryan Guald who also looks likely going out on loan from Sporting. :ok:

I haven't follow Gauld so much this season. Has he been playing at all for the 1st team or is he still playing for the B team?

What age is he ? Time to start delivering some first team performances ? Whether its at a lower league - who cares.

Consistent first team football is required, just like Ryan Guald who also looks likely going out on loan from Sporting. :ok:

He'll be 20 in a few weeks, got a contract until 2018.

Non story...................

Non story in terms of being called up as he hasn't done anything to merit a call up. But there was a lot of talk about him turning his back on Scotland and not wanting to play for them anymore or wanting to play for Somalia instead. There was no direct quote from Feruz in all of that though. This in a way rubbishes it but it did take a long time for him to speak out against the rumours, which does indicate that perhaps he is trying to hold on to possible international football as his career isn't exactly flourishing.

Forgive me for being sceptical but IF Feruz has asked to be involved to the press it strikes me as a desperate plea to rescue his career which is going down the tubes. He was supposedly up for representing us when it suited him and it would help to elevate his status. His career took off (kind of) and he deserted to Chelsea and thought he was in the big-time and pulled out of a Scotland squad. He then falls on hard times and is back to where he was a few years ago and all of a sudden he is keen to play for us again perhaps hoping a club spots him playing for us and resuscitates his career and then he becomes the big man again and where does that leave us. No thanks.

As I say I may be sceptical vut that is how I see it. In any case I never bought into this buzz about how great he was going to be and I did see him playing for us and Chelsea lower levels.

Toepoke, on 26 Aug 2015 - 4:12 PM, said:

You knew that when he was 14? I take my hat off to your scouting abilities...

Yeah, saw him play for Scotland under 17's (just looked it up, was this game: http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international_fixture_details.cfm?page=1921&matchID=83400 ).

He looked like he relied completely on being faster than everyone else. His actual footballing ability looked mediocre. I said on here that his technique wasn't up to what you'd expect from a future superstar and that he'd struggle once he got older and defenders had learned how to deal better with players with pace. A lot of folk seemed to be excited by his performance that night as he was quite effective but it was solely down to being much speedier than anyone else on the pitch.

Yeah, saw him play for Scotland under 17's (just looked it up, was this game: http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/international_fixture_details.cfm?page=1921&matchID=83400 ).

He looked like he relied completely on being faster than everyone else. His actual footballing ability looked mediocre. I said on here that his technique wasn't up to what you'd expect from a future superstar and that he'd struggle once he got older and defenders had learned how to deal better with players with pace. A lot of folk seemed to be excited by his performance that night as he was quite effective but it was solely down to being much speedier than anyone else on the pitch.

The hat trick he scored against Switzerland for the u19s relied on zero pace.

He's likely to have a loan to the Championship this week. Make or break I reckon.

im pretty sure he setup a goal after skinning someone on the touchline in that game, his scoring record is fantastic at youth levels.

he doesnt have much pace to rely on anyway looked slow in teh U21 game at easter road.

still too small for international football