Georgia Predictions - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia Predictions

Slide tackle

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're due a storming win against a decent side.

We're also due a defeat to a mediocre side.

Depends what I think Georgia are the way my thoughts go...

The only thing for certain is that "if neither team win it will end in a draw."

If we believe and we want it, we'll win comfortably. If we bottle it, as we regularly do, we'll either scrape a win or worse...

I'm confident we will win on Friday. Big difference this time compared to last is that it's the first game of a double header rather than the second, obviously factor out an Old Firm match the weekend after.

The Germany game is or should be a bonus match provding they beat Poland on Friday night. I still expect us to be sitting 4th on Monday night, unless we beat Germany given the Republic's two fixtures.

Yeah the German run in is by fat the worst of the 4, apart form their last game. We really need them to do one of two things, either get their fingers out and romp the rest of the group or have a total collapse in the next 3 games taken a point or 2 at most. I think the former is more likely though.

We're due a storming win against a decent side.

We're also due a defeat to a mediocre side.

Depends what I think Georgia are the way my thoughts go...

The only thing for certain is that "if neither team win it will end in a draw."

Imagine we lose to Georgia but beat Germany.

That would put the cat amoungst the pigeons.

J

I'm confident we will win on Friday. Big difference this time compared to last is that it's the first game of a double header rather than the second, obviously factor out an Old Firm match the weekend after.

The Germany game is or should be a bonus match provding they beat Poland on Friday night. I still expect us to be sitting 4th on Monday night, unless we beat Germany given the Republic's two fixtures.

Spot on, different circumstances this time

Edited by rosscarnie

Would love a 1-0 win (or any win for that matter). GI remember Georgia at Ibrox, they weren't great going forward but did have a few atttacks that nearly had me choke on my Hampden pie, but equally we found them extremely difficult to break down. There won't be many goals in this game.

Did you go all the way to Hampden at half time to get a pie? :blink:

Lots of posters on this topic saying things like ''we need to be on the front foot'' and ''have a go'' etc, but these are exactly McLeish's thoughts before the 2-0 defeat, he spoke at length in an interview afterwards about how much he regrets playing 4-4-2 in the last match and that it cost us.

Don't get me wrong there were other issues as well, such as injuries,suspensions and fatigue and he mentions that also.

But If he had played the 4-1-4-1 and not allowed Georgia anything easy, we may well have kept the game tight and nicked it 1-0 from a set-piece or something.

These types of games are notoriously difficult, I think we're best served by playing a bit deeper, inviting Georgia onto us and then counter-attacking the space in behind them with the pace of Anya,Naismith etc.

But first thoughts need to be on giving Nothing away early, we've went 1-0 down in the first half of every away qualifier so far and a repeat in Georgia is going to leave us in a difficult situation to contend with.

I'm not saying we play ''defensively'' but an open approach will leave us exposed, despite what some think of their quality.....few non-top seeds ever win comfortably in Georgia.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Would love a 1-0 win (or any win for that matter). GI remember Georgia at Ibrox, they weren't great going forward but did have a few atttacks that nearly had me choke on my Hampden pie, but equally we found them extremely difficult to break down. There won't be many goals in this game.

Its a Georgia team with a different mentality now though, went from Conceding 3 goals in 3 games under their old manager to 8 in 2 under their new manager, much more attacking, but also more open.

This is a very tough match, and I'm pretty nervous, but maybe that's just our history kicking in. I can see it being a fairly even first half, us possibly just scraping it and being the better team. I can see us scoring somewhere between the 45-60th minute in the second half and then slowly but surely sitting back and letting Georgia throw the kitchen sink at us, but we will stay compact and get the 1-0 win. At the end of the day I don't care if the goal is scored by a Georgia players nutsack, as long as we get a goal and don't concede I couldn't be happier! However I can also see this having 0-0 written all over it. We may come out too cautious and then not have time nearing the closing stages of the match to grab a winner. I really hope Strachan and the team have their tactics spot on.