Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Darren Fletcher - Time To Move On?

Caledonian Craig

Well Van Gaal evidently does not see Fletcher as a go to option so I can't see that changing. If anything he will slip further down the pecking order when Van Gaal signs more players.

Van Gaal will be forced to change things if Man Utd are playing like they are at the moment. That last minute goal against Chelsea disguised the fact that Man Utd were poor and are currently in a worse position in the table than this time last year. Not forgetting they were hammered by MK Dons in the league cup, having already spent £145million in the transfer market.

You may be able to tell I'm really not convinced by Van Gaal :lol: ....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well even if you aren't impressed by him it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't see Fletcher as even his first go to option or second. If as you say they are struggling so much does it not worry you even more that he hasn't given Fletcher a chance?

I'm not overly worried, no. I think it just shows his "philosophy" he keeps going on about is a load of b*llocks.

Only time will tell though and I'll be happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

We all want what's best for Darren Fletcher and that's the main thing :ok:

Today is an example how far down the pecking order Fletch has fallen at United. Van Gaal would sooner turn to unproven youngsters McNair and Wilson instead of him even from the subs bench.

Tbf, when there's 10 mins left and you need a goal, are you going to bring on : a Striker or Darren Fletcher?

Edited by Hope

Tbf, when there's 10 mins left and you need a goal, are you going to bring on : a Striker or Darren Fletcher?

Fair point but does not alter the fact he seems very much frozen out at the moment and I cannot see the situation improving. Van Gaal will look to bring more of his own players in and in doing so just pushes Fletcher further down the pecking order.

My fear about Darren Fletcher is that he feels so indebted to United he won't have it in him to march into the manager's office and ask for a transfer or loan move. If he doesn't his career will stall and peter out. He should now realise his time at United have brought him much success but with Sir Alex gone and a new manager in with his own plans for the club it is time to close this chapter on his career.

Fair point but does not alter the fact he seems very much frozen out at the moment and I cannot see the situation improving. Van Gaal will look to bring more of his own players in and in doing so just pushes Fletcher further down the pecking order.

Aye, i even think Carrick will be ahead of him, and with United out of the league cup i can't see too many opportunities for Fletcher in the future. It's a good job we're strong in midfield

Aye, i even think Carrick will be ahead of him, and with United out of the league cup i can't see too many opportunities for Fletcher in the future. It's a good job we're strong in midfield

Yes that is true. It is not as much a calamity as it may have been a couple of years ago being unable to call on Darren Fletcher. However, if he were o get a move and get regular first team football it could rekindle his international career.

He isn't the player he was and he will never get the fitness back to be that player. It may sound harsh but its the truth. I was and always will be a huge fan of his and wanted him to get back to his best but its clear that isn't going to happen. He needs a move somewhere he will get games, but he isn't going to be our future and personally I think we need to move on.

he isn't going to be our future and personally I think we need to move on.

i wouldn't go that far. he's still a decent player and we're not blessed with a lot of good players in that area. Brown and Mulgrew to start for me, Morrison can operate there.. after that we don't have much. McArthur doesn't seem to have the mindset for international football, he's been a mess whenever he's played for us. So there's definitely still a place for Darren Fletcher in the squad. He might not be the box to box player he once was, but he's smart enough and experienced enough to be able to slot into other roles. Writing him off already seems a bit extreme.

i wouldn't go that far. he's still a decent player and we're not blessed with a lot of good players in that area. Brown and Mulgrew to start for me, Morrison can operate there.. after that we don't have much. McArthur doesn't seem to have the mindset for international football, he's been a mess whenever he's played for us. So there's definitely still a place for Darren Fletcher in the squad. He might not be the box to box player he once was, but he's smart enough and experienced enough to be able to slot into other roles. Writing him off already seems a bit extreme.

I agree with you to an extent. Fletcher still has something to offer. He is the best passer of the ball we have. But you're wrong about not being blessed with a lot of good players.

We have:

Brown

Morrison

Mulgrew

McArthur (totally disagree with you about him btw)

Adam

then we have Kevin MacDonald and Liam Bridcutt and Tom Cairney.

IMO all three of them have the potential to be top players.

I agree with you to an extent. Fletcher still has something to offer. He is the best passer of the ball we have. But you're wrong about not being blessed with a lot of good players.

We have:

Brown

Morrison

Mulgrew

McArthur (totally disagree with you about him btw)

Adam

then we have Kevin MacDonald and Liam Bridcutt and Tom Cairney.

IMO all three of them have the potential to be top players.

Brown Mulgrew and Morrison, sure.

McArthur has been a bombscare and made horrific errors pretty much every time he's pulled on a shirt for us. He seems a different player at international level that at club level.

Adam, is not and never was a defensive midfielder. He played there because Levein was daft. Adam should only be used in the forward role bnehind the striker that Naismith played recently. But even then there's a fair few players ahead of him for that.

Cairney's also a more forward minded player.

MacDonald, maybe. But he's spent most of the last 4 years playing at League One level. He's got a ways to go for me before he can be claiming a spot ahead of Darren Fletcher.

Bridcutt I like. He has potential, tho he's knocking on 25 now.. plus he cant buy a start for Sunderland and was on the field for the 5 goals in 45 minutes for Southampton recently. Not blaming him for it, but he's part of that side so shares some responsibility. Again, no way he's in ahead of Fletch.

Right now we're in a good place. for defensive mid I think. We've got 4 decent ones and that should do us. The problem is they're all 28+. Mulgrew, Brown, Morrison and Fletcher. Even McArthur if he can stop doing silly things is 27. It's a generation of players that we'll lose pretty quickly and there's not a lot coming up behind them. We need MacDonald and Bridcutt to push on and Ryan Jack to step up.. plus some new talent to really start coming thru.

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic worrying about it, for example, right back doesn't look an better. Hutton and Bardsley are both 29, Whittaker's 30. All 31-32 by the time the Euros come around. After that.. Caddis i guess? Palmer's still a million miles away judging by the weekend.

Other than that we don't look too bad in terms of future options. anyway, gone a bit off track. :)

This is a good thread but I am alarmed every time I see a reference to Bridcutt. I talk with Sunderland supporters whose opinions I trust and they say he is never an EPL player. Ok he provided a simple pass for Fletcher's second goal yesterday but check the Sunderland fan forums and you will find he is not exactly a fan favourite.

Brown Mulgrew and Morrison, sure.

McArthur has been a bombscare and made horrific errors pretty much every time he's pulled on a shirt for us. He seems a different player at international level that at club level.

Adam, is not and never was a defensive midfielder. He played there because Levein was daft. Adam should only be used in the forward role bnehind the striker that Naismith played recently. But even then there's a fair few players ahead of him for that.

Cairney's also a more forward minded player.

MacDonald, maybe. But he's spent most of the last 4 years playing at League One level. He's got a ways to go for me before he can be claiming a spot ahead of Darren Fletcher.

Bridcutt I like. He has potential, tho he's knocking on 25 now.. plus he cant buy a start for Sunderland and was on the field for the 5 goals in 45 minutes for Southampton recently. Not blaming him for it, but he's part of that side so shares some responsibility. Again, no way he's in ahead of Fletch.

Right now we're in a good place. for defensive mid I think. We've got 4 decent ones and that should do us. The problem is they're all 28+. Mulgrew, Brown, Morrison and Fletcher. Even McArthur if he can stop doing silly things is 27. It's a generation of players that we'll lose pretty quickly and there's not a lot coming up behind them. We need MacDonald and Bridcutt to push on and Ryan Jack to step up.. plus some new talent to really start coming thru.

Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic worrying about it, for example, right back doesn't look an better. Hutton and Bardsley are both 29, Whittaker's 30. All 31-32 by the time the Euros come around. After that.. Caddis i guess? Palmer's still a million miles away judging by the weekend.

Other than that we don't look too bad in terms of future options. anyway, gone a bit off track. :)

You make some good points. But I have to say, I wasn't saying anyone should be in front of Darren Fletcher. I only said we have good options for his position.

I would love it if Fletcher could start playing regularly again.

I don't think we need to worry: Brown, Mulgrew, Morrison, and McArthur will be around for the next 4 years and I fully expect someone else to come along sooner than that (maybe McDonald, maybe Bridcutt, maybe someone else).

I'm curious why you're so hard on McArthur though. His last 5 or so appearances have all been from the bench, and I don't remember him doing anything wrong.

btw If you're looking for something pointless to worry about, all our goalkeepers are the same age. How many decent 20-25 year old goalkeepers are there on the horizon?

I think it's mental that folk are writing off Darren Fletcher for Scotland because he hasn't made the starting 11 for Man Utd in the past couple of months.

The thread's really about whether he needs to leave Man U. and if he's still not looking like getting any game time by Christmas, I think the answer has to be yes.

That said, as soon as he gets a regular game again he'll be back to being one of most of our most important players. I've no doubt about that. He's a level above every other outfield player in the squad and always has been.