Uefa Approve Nations League Proposal - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Uefa Approve Nations League Proposal

wanderer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right let me see if I've got my head round this from a Scotland perspective?

Likely to be in a group in League B and therefore in a group of 3 with 4 games over Sep, Oct and Nov 2018?

If we win our group we go into the playoffs in early 2020 and are also promoted to division A next time

Actual qualifiers are all in 2019 over 5 double headers in Mar, Jun, Sep, Oct and Nov. Either a group of 5 or 6 and top 2 go through. No playoffs.

If we won our mini league but then qualify we give up our playoff spot and it goes to the next team from our mini league?

If we don't qualify or win our mini league we can still pick up a playoff spot if our mini league winner already qualified?

And breathe....

there is 10 international qualifier dates between march and november 2019 as well as a possible semi final and final of the nations league?

bloody hell

Indeed. I'm sure Europe's elite clubs are going to be just jumping with joy at this !! Might with any luck work to Scotland's advantage given the fallout of that and our likely dearth of players at those clubs.

And all this before the shambles that is the following World Cup scheduling too !! I see major change on the way.

Edited by Hendricks

Right let me see if I've got my head round this from a Scotland perspective?

Likely to be in a group in League B and therefore in a group of 3 with 4 games over Sep, Oct and Nov 2018?

If we win our group we go into the playoffs in early 2020 and are also promoted to division A next time

Actual qualifiers are all in 2019 over 5 double headers in Mar, Jun, Sep, Oct and Nov. Either a group of 5 or 6 and top 2 go through. No playoffs.

If we won our mini league but then qualify we give up our playoff spot and it goes to the next team from our mini league?

If we don't qualify or win our mini league we can still pick up a playoff spot if our mini league winner already qualified?

And breathe....

no i think if we win our group the semi and final are in June 2019

the 2020 tournament will start in September and be for the finals in June 2021 for the 2022 world cup

i think ^?^

12 teams in League A and League B, so Scotland would be in League B if we are ranked 13-24 in Europe, which seems likely.

The one thing that seems quite radical in all this is the way the playoffs for Euro 2020 are being decided. I might be reading this wrong, but it sounds like each League will get one guaranteed team to Euro 2020 via the playoffs. This means that at least one team from League D, lowest 16 ranked teams in Europe, will get there. Interesting.

12 teams in League A and League B, so Scotland would be in League B if we are ranked 13-24 in Europe, which seems likely.

The one thing that seems quite radical in all this is the way the playoffs for Euro 2020 are being decided. I might be reading this wrong, but it sounds like each League will get one guaranteed team to Euro 2020 via the playoffs. This means that at least one team from League D, lowest 16 ranked teams in Europe, will get there. Interesting.

That's what I was thinking. If you dropped down to league D on purpose as a league B team like us that struggles to qualify in the main then you would have a great chance of winning group D and qualifying?

So you would rather be a top league D team than a middle to bottom ranked league C team?

Edited by iainmac1

This is my take on it.

There are 54 teams in Europe and they will be divided into 4 divisions. So IF they used the rankings today it would be as follows:

September, October & November 2018 the UEFA Nations League Group games will be played.

UEFA Nations League A - 4 Groups of 3 Teams (12 Teams)

Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, England, France, Portugal, Belgium, Ukraine, Croatia, Czech Rep and Russia

UEFA Nations League B - 4 Groups of 3 Teams (12 Teams)

Switzerland, Greece, Denmark, BiH, Sweden, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, Israel, Norway and Rep of Ireland

UEFA Nations League C - 2 Groups of 3 teams and 2 groups of 4 teams (14 Teams)

Poland, Slovenia, Turkey, Iceland, Montenegro, SCOTLAND, Wales, Serbia, Armenia, Albania, Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, Finland and Lithuania

UEFA Nations League D - 4 Groups of 4 teams (16 Teams)

Estonia, Moldova, Latvia, Georgia, Macedonia, Belarus, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan, Faroe Islands, Malta, Gibraltar, Andorra and San Marino

In each league the 4 winners will be promoted and the 4 bottom placed teams will be relegated for the next comp in 2020.

The 4 winners of League A will play knock out (semi final and final) in June 2019 with the winner being UEFA Nations League Champion.

March 2019 and November 2019 The UEFA Euro Qualifiers will take place (Top 2 Teams from each group qualify automatically with no play offs for 3rd place teams).

March 2020 - The play offs from the UEFA Nations League will take place

Only teams who have not already qualified will play in this. So if the group winner had qualified alreay then the second placed team would qualify for the play off. Play-off slots are dropped down to lower leagues if less than four teams remain available for a play-off qualification (waterfall mechanism). So there will be four groups of play-offs, each with an end winner who qualify for Euro 2020.

Hope that makes sense....

You've also got to think that the majority, if not all, of the League A teams will qualify through the standard qualifying procedure. Probably at least half of the League B teams too. So I think it's more than likely that every team from Leagues A and B (that hasn't already qualified) will make the playoffs.

And with the promotion/relegation thing, after a few tournaments the makeup of the groups will look quite different from how they started.

That's how I read it too. And if so, would it not be beneficial to slide down the rankings and end up in a weaker group, therefore having a greater chance of qualifying?!

That's how I read it too. And if so, would it not be beneficial to slide down the rankings and end up in a weaker group, therefore having a greater chance of qualifying?!

It would make your chances of qualifying from the normal qualifiers tougher though as they are using the same seeding for that. Surely it would be better to qualify directly rather than worry about the play offs.

Plus I'd imagine you don't want to be down in pot 5 when the World Cup qualifiers come around. Unless they do keep the same system with say 9 group winners qualifying as normal and then the other 4 places through this League of Nations.

My take on it if you make League B your pretty much guaranteed a play off spot.

Except the only way to slide down the rankings is to lose games and if you lose games you are not going to qualify for anything.

Wiki have opened a page that maps it out along with Euro 2020, and starting to make more sense (yet still clear as mud.....)

Sep-Nov 2019 will be 4 double match days as part of the Nations Cup..... March to November 2019 it is as you were for Euro 2020 qualification (with the "finals of the Nations Cup in June 2019).... with the play off's for Euro 2020 now taking place in March 2020.