Uefa Approve Nations League Proposal - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Uefa Approve Nations League Proposal

wanderer

Bugger me, that's complicated

Mind you, more competitive games and fewer friendlies, plus fewer friendlies in less accessible places (Japan, Australia) is a good thing.

Hopefully we should be in the Group B, and be playing against some decent teams. For Comparison, the FIFA rankings would put us 23rd in Europe at the moment and in with Sweden, Slovenia, Wales, Denmark, Russia, Austria, Iceland, Bosnia, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Romania. From a tourist point of view, all good (except Wales). From a football point of view some very challenging games.

Edited by biffer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger me, that's complicated

Mind you, more competitive games and fewer friendlies, plus fewer friendlies in less accessible places (Japan, Australia) is a good thing.

Hopefully we should be in the Group B, and be playing against some decent teams. For Comparison, the FIFA rankings would put us 23rd in Europe at the moment and in with Sweden, Slovenia, Wales, Denmark, Russia, Austria, Iceland, Bosnia, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Romania. From a tourist point of view, all good (except Wales). From a football point of view some very challenging games.

Remember this is done with UEFA rankings and not Fifa rankings. Uefa use the last 3 qualifying groups to determine rank and don't include friendlies. We are currently ranking high to mid 3rd group out of 4.

Someone did a simulated draw here, including how the Euro qualifiers play into it all: http://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/the-uefa-nations-league-explained/

That is a very good explination of it all.

There is only one small part that I am unsure of and I do not think it has been decided yet.

The play offs will take place in March 2019, however, there is one problem for us fans...

The semi final is a one off match (not home and away) and the home team will be decided by the higher ranked team but the final is also due to take place in March so unless there is a date in early March and late March (which is unlikely) the finalists will only be known 4 days before the game. That will be a nightmare for the travelling fans and the FAs to sell the tickets.

Imagine a situation like this:

Semi Final 1: Norway v Scotland - Thursday 21st of March

Semi Final 2: Bulgaria v Albania - Friday 22nd of March

Final: Winner of Semi 1 v Winner of Semi 2 - Tuesday 26th of March Venue to be drawn at random.

It would only give fans 4 days to arrange travel to the final. Remember several thousand might be abroad at the semi final. I just cant see how this will work.

The FIFA match calendar for 2020 is not out yet.

Edited by tartanpar

It says the venue for the final will be drawn in advance, so I would assume that means a neutral venue. Possibly they'd then sell tickets to fans of all 4 semi-final teams and you only get your ticket if your team advances. Still a scunner for travel arrangements, though.

It says the venue for the final will be drawn in advance, so I would assume that means a neutral venue. Possibly they'd then sell tickets to fans of all 4 semi-final teams and you only get your ticket if your team advances. Still a scunner for travel arrangements, though.

I believe that is for the Final of the tournament which the League A teams will be play and not the play offs for the Euros. Even if it was it is a nightmare for travelling fans.

Edited by tartanpar

The example in the link makes it more understandable however I still confused by a couple if things.

Group A playoff. That's played in June 2019 before the qualifiers finish. Therefore we won't know who's qualified so is the example they give for that one wrong and it's just the 4 winners, which is clearly what Uefa wants as it provides a competitive play off with the very best. And does the winner of that get a place.

It would be very unusual for 1 of these 4 teams not to qualify therefore perhaps that could be where a place for the host comes from if used in future tournaments.

The thing played in June is to see who wins the Nations League and is just between the top 4 teams in Group A. Nowt to do with Euro 2020 playoffs.

Yip that is spot on.

If those 4 teams fail to qualify via the Euro qualifiers they could all play again in march.

No one will qualify via the nations league until after the Euro qualifiers have finished.

But there are group a playoffs in march?

Aye. A wee bit confusion can be caused by the fact that the Nations League is 2 things in 1: a tournament in its own right, and another way to qualify for the Euros.

The playoffs in June 2019 are to see who wins the Nations League. Another bunch of playoffs (4 sets this time instead of just the Group A teams) in March 2020 are for extra Euro 2020 places.

Remember this is done with UEFA rankings and not Fifa rankings. Uefa use the last 3 qualifying groups to determine rank and don't include friendlies. We are currently ranking high to mid 3rd group out of 4.

I know, it was just for comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the volume of games in a short period of time(while the domestic season is full flow) I can't imagine the top euro teams and leagues will be happy about it, especially With champ lge games either side of national games there is the potential for Players pulling out of national side with bogus injuries only to play a couple o days later for their clubs(I am aware there is a law in place at the mo to stop players playing for their club but only if the national team initiates it) but as it has been said before it's just another uefa moneymaking racket for tv audiences.

Looking at the volume of games in a short period of time(while the domestic season is full flow) I can't imagine the top euro teams and leagues will be happy about it, especially With champ lge games either side of national games there is the potential for Players pulling out of national side with bogus injuries only to play a couple o days later for their clubs(I am aware there is a law in place at the mo to stop players playing for their club but only if the national team initiates it) but as it has been said before it's just another uefa moneymaking racket for tv audiences.

Who cares if they are happy with it or not