Uefa Approve Nations League Proposal - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Uefa Approve Nations League Proposal

wanderer

Am I right in thinking that that the final tournament in June 2019 is only for the winners of the 4 group 1 teams? There is no equivalent "final" tournament for the 4 winners in groups 2, 3 and 4?

If that's the case then group 2,3 and 4 teams are only playing for promotion/relegation and the possibility of a playoff place for Euro 2020. I suppose if you win your group in the Nations League then you are guaranteed at least a playoff spot for Euro 2020 if you need one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking that that the final tournament in June 2019 is only for the winners of the 4 group 1 teams? There is no equivalent "final" tournament for the 4 winners in groups 2, 3 and 4?

If that's the case then group 2,3 and 4 teams are only playing for promotion/relegation and the possibility of a playoff place for Euro 2020. I suppose if you win your group in the Nations League then you are guaranteed at least a playoff spot for Euro 2020 if you need one.

The group 2, 3 and 4 playoffs are in March 2020 and will provide a place at Euro 2020. I suppose that's their equivelant final. Edited by McToot

I am still trying to decide if I like the idea or not. Some good bits some not so good.

I think this new nations league could be seen as just glorified friendlies with nothing more at stake for most teams than a possible playoff spot for euro2020. Most tams will have no proper competitive games between Oct 2017 and Mar 2019. Then possibly 10 qualifiers in the space of 9 months. That's if I'm reading it right.

If the competition becomes serious, will we not need to organise friendlies to warm up for it? :blink:

Pretty sure we used to treat the Euros as friendlies. Less important than the Home Internationals, which used to piss me off.

Sure I read that our managers' contracts would be driven by WC qualification.

This could grow. Or bite the dust like the Celtic Cup.

Looking at the volume of games in a short period of time(while the domestic season is full flow) I can't imagine the top euro teams and leagues will be happy about it, especially With champ lge games either side of national games there is the potential for Players pulling out of national side with bogus injuries only to play a couple o days later for their clubs(I am aware there is a law in place at the mo to stop players playing for their club but only if the national team initiates it) but as it has been said before it's just another uefa moneymaking racket for tv audiences.

The big teams (and some small) play that number of games anyway. It prob wont be much of an increase (if any) for them.

The group 2, 3 and 4 playoffs are in March 2020 and will provide a place at Euro 2020. I suppose that's their equivelant final.

The Group 1 teams will also have a play off for the Euros in March 2020 too. If they have all qualified already the place moves down a league.