Davie Cooper - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Davie Cooper

Johnny_Ham

I vividly remember when Davie Cooper tragically passed away. He came to mind the other night so I started watching some old videos/tributes online which included glowing praise from Ruud Gullit.

I was only 11 at the time of Cooper's passing and don't remember much about his career, except from what I have seen on videos/online highlights. Can any older members of the board share their thoughts/memories on just how good he was (specifically in his Scotland appearances, but also for club sides)? I've heard ex-pros say he was the most gifted player of his generation - is he up there with Baxter for natural ability (another great I was born too late to fully appreciate)?

For those interested, this is one of the videos I watched the other night - quite moving in parts. Good to hear he was a decent man and funny to hear that he hated leaving Hamilton...even to train in Motherwell!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motherwell legend.

We were fortunate enough to sign him as he was surplus to requirements due to the Souness revolution as Ibrox.

Re: Scotland career he was a mainstay in the team for the Mexico '86 qualifying campaign. He scored a crucial penalty goal at Ninian Park after coming on for Gordon Strachan. That set Scotland up for a play off against Australia where Cooper was again on the score sheet from a freekick.

I am sure Davie Cooper was quoted as saying although he was honoured to play for his country he acknowledged club loyalty grerater as they paid his wages.

I also heard ( don't know if its true) that Davie was in line to be picked for Italia '90 but he went over on his ankle jogging round strathy park.

God bless Davie Cooper I am shocked that I am older than he was when he died.

A fantastic player, RIP

Only recall his later days at Rangers, where bar the odd glimpses of brilliance here and there, looked like he was well past his best.... yet then went to Motherwell, and still recall looking on with envy thinking "why did Alex Smith not even make a inquiry to bring him to Aberdeen????" as he showed he still had it.

Remember there was a big song and dance in the media over his recall to the Scotland squad in 89, and seem to recall that there was a lot of call for him to go to the 1990 World Cup

Interesting, too young to remember Italia 90 but I'd always wondered why he wasn't involved giving that he played in the 91 SC Final. An available Cooper and Durrant could have been a totally different story for us in 90.

TBH WC 1990 was probably a step to far for him.....

He had not featured in any of the qualifiers after he lost his place at Rangers to Mark Walters, and was really only brought back into the fold for the final Norway game because Roxburgh bricked it and called up all his big guns for that game (Willie Miller had been used sparingly in all the qualifiers, only to be recalled for that game).

I think if he had went to the WC he would have been a bench warmer, though saying that, he could have made all the difference v Costa Rica..... as I think it was only Jim White and co on Scotsport creaming themselves that he should go to the finals..... a injury picked up at the end of the season basically made Andy's choice for him).

Edited by wanderer

His natural talent could & should have taken him to the very top, spent too many years (loyally) with an average Rangers team, wouldn't say he was one of the best of his generation, but when he was up for it & in the mood he was unplayable, if he had lightning pace he would be twice the player that Gareth Bale is (imo of course).

His natural talent could & should have taken him to the very top, spent too many years (loyally) with an average Rangers team, wouldn't say he was one of the best of his generation, but when he was up for it & in the mood he was unplayable, if he had lightning pace he would be twice the player that Gareth Bale is (imo of course).

Spot on :ok:

He is the most naturally talented Scottish player I've seen, but played in the wrong era. Today he'd play in the hole and definitely not on the wing. The videos show the goals but it was his vision and quick feet that elevated him to genius level when on top form. He had a great campaign with Scotland before Mexico 86 but a system wasn't really in place to maximise his talent.

He is the most naturally talented Scottish player I've seen, but played in the wrong era. Today he'd play in the hole and definitely not on the wing. The videos show the goals but it was his vision and quick feet that elevated him to genius level when on top form. He had a great campaign with Scotland before Mexico 86 but a system wasn't really in place to maximise his talent.

Makes perfect sense, good post.

Cooper scored one of the greatest free kicks I've ever seen against us in the '87-88 Skol Cup Final. From the edge of the 'D' he took a couple of steps and hit it so hard it had hit the net and bounced before Jim Leighton even moved. I was in the South Stand right in line with the 18 yard box and I still vividly remember the sound of the ball ripping down the back of the net and bouncing before anyone in the stadium could react.

Fantastic player and a world beater on his day. Peter Weir and maybe John Robertson were the only other players of the era who could ghost past players like Cooper did.

Aye cause international caps is the primary indicator as to how good a player is/was.......

No, but it is a reasonable indicator.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good or even great player, but The Cooper Myth is up there with Jim Morrison, Nick Drake and James Dean.

He was only really in the Scotland team for two or three years, while his peers were winning European Cups, English Leagues and playing in Serie A and La Liga.

Very good player but could have achieved more. His potential was incredible but never maintained his capability on a regular basis. I don't know why.

Totally agree with him being in-stoppable on occasions.

Remember the goal in Cardiff against Wales. Kept his bottle when others wouldn't have.

And the free kick goal in the cup final against the diddies was superb.

Tragic loss of life to a player who quite simply had incredible talent.

What would we give for a Davie Cooped now.