Malta Recommendations - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malta Recommendations

Exglasgowasc

For a short stay that time of year I`d go for Valletta, the capital, lovely city to walk round in and plenty of bars and restaurants. Also the main bus station is right by the city gates and for about 2 euros each you can hop on as many buses a day as you like.

The War Museum is a must do for an education on the significant role the island played in both world wars and you can also visit the war rooms where battles were planned ( it`s about 10 minutes from war museum )

Mdina the original capital is worth a visit, a lovely old walled city.

Maltese are well into football and with 3 divisions there will be a game on somewhere.

Eating out we enjoyed L`Artist in Sliema and TemptAsian which is a Thai restaurant on top of the Palace hotel with good food and great views and our last night cost a few quid more but was the best Guze Bistro in Valletta

There is a fishing village that is good to visit on the 2 days the market is on but it is an hour on the bus and we chose a non market day so we just looked at boats in the harbour........

If you`re into Popeye the film starring Robin Williams was filmed in Malta and you can visit the original film set which is now a theme park ( we didn't )

St Julians has a load of 5 star hotels, Hilton, Radisson, Intercontinental and a modern marina with lots of restaurants but I`d say it was more of a sunshine holiday destination, there are other resorts further round the coast but they looked a bit `tired`

We stayed in The Palace in Sliema but if I was going back for a short stay in Winter I'd stay in The Phoenicia as it`s right by the city gates in Valletta and a minute to the bus station

I was in Marsascala in 84 for my honeymoon, I gave one of the waiters my Aberdeen top (circa 83) in exchange for a round of drinks as I listened to the 84 cup final on a wee radio by the pool,keep your eye out for it......

Nothing in Marsascala by the way I would stay in Bugibba and the islands so small you can visit the other towns very easily

Sliema is nice, is in a great location being a short bus ride from Valetta and St Julians, you can get a ferry over to Valetta too. Buses are cheap and plentiful but every Maltese bus driver thinks he's David Coulthard so you need to hold on tight. Very unique feel to the place, the British influence is everywhere but so is the Venetian influence. There are some stunning buildings in Valetta.

Give Bugibba and Qawra a miss. Full of tourists. Not bad for a day trip on the lash - loads of bars / competition. You might find a lot of places in that area shut for the winter though.

I lived in Sliema for a year and the north of the island for another. Desperate to get back.

North is much much quieter but less to do and around an hour on the bus to the centre.

Marsascala is similar to the north and like davierobb said, it's awrite but it's a wee bit out of the way again. A night or two there and you've seen it all. The south is more Maltese speaking than anywhere else (in my experience).

St.Julians, Paceville(!) and Sliema are the places to be if you want entertainment and good food.

January isn't the best weather-wise, but it'll be better than back hame. Expect some rain.

Head to the ferry terminal and you can jump a boat for a tour of the islands or to/from Valletta. If the sea is calm enough!

Probably not worth going to Comino as it's mainly just a beach. Dingli cliffs and that vicinity are good for a wee walk. I normally tied that in with going to Mdina (a must visit).

If you like fishing you can buy a pole for around 15 euro, grab a bag of sliced bread from the shop and pop your rod in. You're bound to catch :ok:

Oh aye, expect loads of old yins... they migrate to Malta in winter!