Helsinki And Tallinn - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Helsinki And Tallinn

Coggs

Heading to Helsinki on St Andrews weekend and have decided to also throw in a trip over to Tallinn. Arrive late on the Friday so will have all day and night Saturday in Helsinki, then early ferry to Tallinn and most of the day/all night there, before getting the early ferry on Monday morning back to Helsinki (with another few hours until evening flight).

Any tips on things definitely worth seeing in both places would be great. Christmas markets are on the list. Gluhwein time!! :-D

There's a nice indoor food market in Helsinki which has a bunch of small restaurant/food stands here you can grab a snack and a drink. It's down on the harbour. The Modern Art Museum/Gallery in the centre of town is also excellent - was there a few years ago now, but was impressed with the content.

Nice small and compact city to wander around, though this time of year there won't be a heck of a lot of daylight!

TT

Both lovely cities.

Tallinn old town has loads of great wee museums, market stalls, shops & pubs.

Recommended: Beer House for Microbrew (5 varieties made on site)

Avoid: Olde Hansa just off main square. Complete tourist trap.

Helsinki has the bridge of love which is worth a visit for an anniversary. Take a padlock.....for the bridge :lol:

Does Davie Coutts still run two pubs in Tallinn - Bar With A Name and Bar Without A Name?

Was over there in 1998, Tallinn that is. Great city and some cracking wee pubs in the streets off the main square. Tell ye something, when it comes to women Tallinn is devoid of munters on the Johann Lamont scale. Just about every burd you came across had long blond hair and tits to die for.

The Saku and Spendrups lager was just as good...................................

Does Davie Coutts still run two pubs in Tallinn - Bar With A Name and Bar Without A Name?

Was over there in 1998, Tallinn that is. Great city and some cracking wee pubs in the streets off the main square. Tell ye something, when it comes to women Tallinn is devoid of munters on the Johann Lamont scale. Just about every burd you came across had long blond hair and tits to die for.

The Saku and Spendrups lager was just as good...................................

All I mind about Tallinn is getting chased down a close by an irate faither with my kilt at my ankles!

Sure I heard he was chased out of town......

Have to say, I was not overly impressed with the bars that have gone down in TA legend...... When I was there, I found Hell Hunt is more a sit down for a meal restaurant than somewhere to go for a beer and Bar with No Name was just a simple snooker club/sports bar type place with Liverpool and Man United framed shirts on the wall.

Cracking beer hall just off the main square which was jumping every night we went there (main square was completely dead, yet just a stones throw away was this beer hall that was packed!)..... Paddy Bar on the main square was good with its happy hour in the early evening.

Have to say, did not find anywhere near as cheap as I expected it to be (cheapest beer of that trip was a bar we stumbled across in Helsinki at 2 Euros a pint!) certainly not talking Lithuania or Poland prices....

I actually preferred Helsinki more than Tallinn, but both are fantastic places that would love a return to for a Scotland game.