Atp World Tour 2015 - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Atp World Tour 2015

min

Convincing performance. This time last week Murray had never played in the final of a clay tournament, now he's heading into final number two.

Nadal's probably still not 100%, so Andy gas a chance tomorrow.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Convincing performance. This time last week Murray had never played in the final of a clay tournament, now he's heading into final number two.

Nadal's probably still not 100%, so Andy gas a chance tomorrow.

A lot depends on what Rafa turns up. The Rafa of old on clay and it is no contest but anything less from Rafa say 60% at his best and Murray playing aggressively like he has this week and yes he has got a chance.

Did Andy not reach semi in Paris last year? QF at least. A year which was not a good one for him. Reckon Djokovic`s big target this year will be to win at RG, likewise for Federer. I reckon Murray has more chance in Paris than at Wimbledon. First up tomorrow where I reckon he has a chance even with Rafa having crowd and surface in his favour. If Andy wins, will he be first to win same tournament on 2 different surfaces?

There's no way Andy has a better chance for the French open than Wimbledon. For me he is the favourite for Wimbledon and has been marginally the best player on grass for the past three years.

There's no way Andy has a better chance for the French open than Wimbledon. For me he is the favourite for Wimbledon and has been marginally the best player on grass for the past three years.

Yes I totally agree. On grass I'd say on his day he is currently the best grass court player in the world since Federer is past his best. On clay he is maybe in the top five in the world and that is at a push.

I think that Djokovic has improved to an extent that he's now the best in the world on all surfaces. We'll see if that's confirmed during the next couple of months.

Did Andy not reach semi in Paris last year? QF at least. A year which was not a good one for him. Reckon Djokovic`s big target this year will be to win at RG, likewise for Federer. I reckon Murray has more chance in Paris than at Wimbledon. First up tomorrow where I reckon he has a chance even with Rafa having crowd and surface in his favour. If Andy wins, will he be first to win same tournament on 2 different surfaces?

Mats Wilander won the Aussie open on both grass and hard court.

From reports Rafa is looking a lot more like his old self, so I imagine he will win well today, but who knows. His knees still mean he has to be picky about tournaments, playing the clay court SE as on but being very selective about hard court. Grass court season is so short that it's basically one warmup plus Wimbledon for most, but how he will cope with the readjustment from grass to clay after Wimbledon, quickly moving on to Roland Garros will be interesting.

Djokovic will definitely be targeting the French, a lot of Andy's chances depend on the draw. Ideally Djokovic and Nadal will end up on one side, Murray and Federer on the other.

It'll be interesting to see if Andy plays in Rome next week - he's saying he'll travel to Italy tomorrow and then decide. He's in the same half of the draw as Djokovic, so knows it'll be tough. He must also be looking at the rankings and thinking he could soon catch Federer and the number 2 spot - can he really afford to miss a tournament with 1000 ranking points up for grabs?

can he really afford to miss a tournament with 1000 ranking points up for grabs?

You can look at it both ways. As you say another large haul of ranking points are up for grabs and if he goes deep in Rome he may overhaul Federer. However, you have to fear burn-out and he doesn't want that with two slams coming up and one of those he has a very good chance of winning. Plus if he is tired and goes to Rome and bombs out early then it kills his momentum whereas he misses Rome then he goes to RG refreshed and unbeaten on clay this year. Swings and roundabouts really.

Murray decides to play in Rome, so he must be feeling fine physically and his confidence is obviously sky high. He'll still have a clear week to prepare for the French and with an extra week between RG and Wimbledon this year, the top players have a bit more recovery time.

Possible opponents in Rome:

R32 - Chardy

R16 - Tsonga

QF - Ferrer

SF - Djokovic

F - Federer / Nadal