The Open To Sky In 2016 - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Open To Sky In 2016

Larky Masher

I, as well as you, can't prove this will happen either way but the industry are hiding behind this instead of dealing with the real reason people are walking from the game.

Trust me, I work within the industry so see it first hand yet the R&A, SGU etc are moving at snails pace to deal with it.

No one like change but if the industry doesn't change fast it'll die.

I'd be interested to hear your views - I used to be a member at Lothianburn, tragic that it's closed down, same with Torphin Hill.

For my part, I think one of the reasons is that whereas golf never used to be viewed as an elite or posh sport in Scotland, it's now got some of that tarnish from the view of it in England and the USA, and that's put people off.

I think a lot of clubs are stuck in the past and don't do anything in terms of offering facilities for members, whether they're golfing facilities or other more general ones (gym, more social facilities, for example)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Club Manager.

Biffer sums it up reasonably well.

:blush: shucks

I think the gym thing is something a lot of clubs could have tied in to, but just about every club would have something to offer that's outside of golf. Lothianburn for example could have tied itself into things like fell running as an ideal base for people to start from running or mountain biking in the Pentlands, with changing, locker and shower facilities as well as bar and food obviously. Things like this would help clubs become part of the local community again, which would rub off the elitist badge.

The other thing I'd like to have seen a lot of places look at is renewable energy; I'm not talking about turning the entire place into a wind farm, just looking at a mid sized turbine or two on the course, like the ones Gaia make in Glasgow. The feed in tariffs make these attractive opportunities to earn a decent income over a long period (particularly in the winter), and it's the kind of thing you could easily see the R&A or SGU helping with through a finance scheme or some other kind of support. There are a lot of Coastal and hill courses in Scotland which would be ideally placed - any of us who've played in Scotland know it can be a bit blowy.

In fact that's one of the ways that clubs could be helped - R&A investing money in energy efficiency. A lot of clubs are knocking on and things like high energy bills are a killer in old, draughty, poorly insulated buildings. Golf clubs have plenty of ground so options such as ground source heating are viable, and small solar farms are also a possibility.

Edited by biffer

Sad to this one move to sky, as peter aliss is worth his weight in gold.

However the open coverage the last few years has been all about Rory mcilroy, Justin rose etc even when they are out if contention. Such is the power of TV, and trying to keep the non golf fan audience ( who only watches the open possibly the masters) glued to their screens.

Know plenty of people that don't have sky and only watch the open, now it's going off terrestrial television they won't watch it now.

At the end of the day it's in the r and a interests. It's a business like any others.

And if you don't like golf, watch some thing else. There are plenty of other channels to watch.

I've never agreed with the line about sport being a business like any other. It's not.

In a normal business field, if you don't like the service you get from a supplier, you change supplier. Anyone fancy changing which club they support because the pies are pish and your seat's uncomfortable? Thought not.

And the R&A isn't a profit making body, it's surplus mainly goes back into the sport, which again makes it not 'a business like any other'.

Not a go at you pyramid, I just object to comparing a sports organisation to Asda - the drivers are different for both the organisation and the consumer.

I, as well as you, can't prove this will happen either way but the industry are hiding behind this instead of dealing with the real reason people are walking from the game.

Trust me, I work within the industry so see it first hand yet the R&A, SGU etc are moving at snails pace to deal with it.

No one like change but if the industry doesn't change fast it'll die.

I wouldn't know about other reasons but this thread was more to do with the sky deal and many of us think that will mean a smaller audience and logically probably less interest and take up of the game (seems a reasonable conclusion ?).

I would agree that people/organisation do need to keep changing and be innovative, but I'm not sure if this TV deal has anything to do with that

Interesting points from you and biffer though.

A friend of mine used to play at Cragielaw (?) near N Berwick and I played there once one Fri afternoon (I think it was Sept/Oct). After our round we went for a pint and my friend pointed out the amount of people eating/drinking. IIRC he said they had opened up that part (maybe just the restaurant) to the public to generate more income etc. Seemed like a great idea to me in terms of clubs etc coming up with new ideas. I'm not sure if other clubs do this too or that was just this club being creative to maintain revenues.

Edited by fringo

Aye. Go on, indulge me.

every one of his boring anecdotes is about going round wentworth with major this and lady that

you'd have to be deaf not to hear the distaste in his voice when commentating on tiger

still after next year we'll not have to listen his utter drivel "oh look, theres a man in a little boat"

for national treasure read utter chunt

every one of his boring anecdotes is about going round wentworth with major this and lady that

you'd have to be deaf not to hear the distaste in his voice when commentating on tiger

still after next year we'll not have to listen his utter drivel "oh look, theres a man in a little boat"

He tells the odd story of playing a round with interesting people, yes. But every anecdote?

His distaste for Tiger has nothing to do with racism, more that he's a guy with an old-fashioned outlook and values and despises what Tiger's become.

I'd say you have a wee chip on your shoulder.

Attitude to Tiger is justifiable. Woods is a twat, behaves outside all golf etiquette and thinks he's bigger than the game.

What is your grievance with Tiger? Never seen a golf ball hit so well in my life

A nice summary here

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1271395-tiger-woods-british-open-tigers-petulant-behavior-on-golf-course-is-tiring

Some specific stuff here

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/adrianmichaels/100006813/tiger-woods-bad-behaviour-has-dented-golfs-image/

Golf has a certain etiquette which is followed at all levels. If you behaved like he does at your own club you'd be in trouble, and nobody else does it at pro level.

A nice summary here

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1271395-tiger-woods-british-open-tigers-petulant-behavior-on-golf-course-is-tiring

Some specific stuff here

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/adrianmichaels/100006813/tiger-woods-bad-behaviour-has-dented-golfs-image/

Golf has a certain etiquette which is followed at all levels. If you behaved like he does at your own club you'd be in trouble, and nobody else does it at pro level.

bet you love telling people to behave themselves

bet you love telling people to behave themselves

Nope, I think most clubs are too stuck up which puts a lot of people off. But if you're spitting on the green or standing on someone's line or screaming fuk fuk fuk when there are a lot of kids around you I think you're a twat.

You're right, that's unfair.

Some clubs, and most clubs have some members like that, but usually only a few.

I'd agree with that, in the Linlithgowshire region there are around 14 clubs and only one is a bit up itself (and it isn't Linlithgow). I think golf in Scotland is, with some exceptions, a different game than it is England with respect to the demographic playing it.

I'd agree with that, in the Linlithgowshire region there are around 14 clubs and only one is a bit up itself (and it isn't Linlithgow). I think golf in Scotland is, with some exceptions, a different game than it is England with respect to the demographic playing it.

That's the point I was making earlier. It is and always has Ben, but take up of the game is suffering from it being tarred with the same elitist tag it has in england, mainly due to media coverage. Club's reengaging with their communities would help with this - e.g. they have plenty of space not used 9-5 Monday to Friday. Why not run a creche?

Committee's............that's where you find the knobs.

My old man told me years ago that the club where I am a member has loads of great people in it but they minute they drive across the railway line and swing around the corner towards the car park they forget the fact that deep down they are lovely folk and turn into knobs.

Truer words have never been spoken and more so when they receive a title of office. :lol:

The game is pretty ok. On a nice day with decent company and an empty course....

As for the golf club set and the whole snobby golf thing (don't bother arguing everyone has experienced it) it pretty much rules it out. Snobby blazers in the clubhouse mentality, very similar to the SFA clique of snobs, no doubt big golfers as well over the years.

Not all golfers are whanks, far from it. But a lot of whanks happen to be golfers.

The game is pretty ok. On a nice day with decent company and an empty course....

As for the golf club set and the whole snobby golf thing (don't bother arguing everyone has experienced it) it pretty much rules it out. Snobby blazers in the clubhouse mentality, very similar to the SFA clique of snobs, no doubt big golfers as well over the years.

Not all golfers are whanks, far from it. But a lot of whanks happen to be golfers.

Blazers in the clubhouse?