Cricket World Cup - Page 11 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cricket World Cup

Slide tackle

OK this is where I don't understand cricket.

South Africa batted first and were 281-5 after 43 overs. New Zealand won on 299-6 after 42.5 overs. According to the BBC website New Zealand won it with a six on the penultimate ball. So that means that after 42.4 overs they were on 293-6 so surely that is also a winning score to beat 281-5? I'd have thought anything 282+ would mean they had won?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All comes down to the 'duckworth-lewis' method of working out the batting target for the second team when the overs are reduced.

Basic logic is that with only 43 overs and 10 wickets you can afford to me more aggressive than if you had to bat the full 50.

Think thats right anyway :blink:

All comes down to the 'duckworth-lewis' method of working out the batting target for the second team when the overs are reduced.

Basic logic is that with only 43 overs and 10 wickets you can afford to me more aggressive than if you had to bat the full 50.

Think thats right anyway :blink:

Makes sense, cheers,

Same as myself Fringo, Just watched it there, what a game and thougth SA had it in the bag, but that missed catch and 2 run outs cost them.

Said at the start would be a Australia v New Zealand final and want hte Aussies to secure the £10 bet I have with my local curry owner LOL

Same as myself Fringo, Just watched it there, what a game and thougth SA had it in the bag, but that missed catch and 2 run outs cost them.

Said at the start would be a Australia v New Zealand final and want hte Aussies to secure the £10 bet I have with my local curry owner LOL

Good shout and I didn't realise how good NZ are these days.

I don't watch much cricket but imagined it would be Oz v SA or India.

Only really seen brief headlines or highlights throughout, but it looks like it's been a cracking tournament with record-breaking innings and individual scores.

reckon you will lose your bet - I think India will give the Aussies a doing tonight :D

Think India have the batting to get 328 but the Aussies have the best bowling attack of all the teams so it will be an Aus v NZ final.

Not looking like it at the moment. 152 needed from 84 balls.

And another wicket as I type.

Huge anti-climax of a final. NZ just didn't turned up. Can't help feeling that playing all their previous games in NZ wasn't good preparation for playing the final in Melbourne. On the other hand they may not have made the final if they had played a couple of games away from home.

Enjoyed the tournament but it's been too long and there hasn't been enough close games. Unbelievable that the ICC are cutting it to 10 teams in 2019 yet it's still going to be 6 weeks long.