Films 2015 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Theory of Everything is a boring middle class English wankstain of a movie. It will probably do well at the Oscars cause the Yanks love all that shite.Tonight Matthew I will be watching St Vincent.

Wish I had read this very accurate review before heading out to see this tonight.

Utter guff ?

I've never seen a bad performance from Ed Norton. He was outsanding in American History X and The People Versus Harry Flint. I'll need to go and see Birdman :ok:

I am an Ed Norton fan, particularly Larry Flynt, Primal Fear, American History X and The Illusionist, But he has had a few bad performances. He was rubbish in the Italian Job remake The Incredible Hulk was pish, and he was a priest in a movie where Ben Stiller was a Rabbi. Shockingly, it was awful.

Edited by The Giant

Twice Born (2012). Fantastic movie. Set around the Siege of Sarajevo and Penelope Cruz gets her paps out. Very moving.

American Sniper. Enjoyed it, but a bit of a let down after being hyped up so much.

I am an Ed Norton fan, particularly Larry Flynt, Primal Fear, American History X and The Illusionist, But he has had a few bad performances. He was rubbish in the Italian Job remake The Incredible Hulk was pish, and he was a priest in a movie where Ben Stiller was a Rabbi. Shockingly, it was awful.

Keeping the faith? My sisters favourite film . . .

Primal fear is great good.

Looking forward to Birdman and night crawler which ive not seen yet

Wish I had read this very accurate review before heading out to see this tonight.

Utter guff

Okay bit of a dissenting opinion here. Watched it last night, yes it is a bit 'privileged middle class English' in places and there's a cringy bit where Hawking gets a gong from the Purr-er (tho' even then it mentions that he turned down a Lordship as well) but its a good story and well acted. As with most film reviews read what people write and if in doubt see it for yourself.

Okay bit of a dissenting opinion here. Watched it last night, yes it is a bit 'privileged middle class English' in places and there's a cringy bit where Hawking gets a gong from the Purr-er (tho' even then it mentions that he turned down a Lordship as well) but its a good story and well acted. As with most film reviews read what people write and if in doubt see it for yourself.

Exceptionally acted. Good story? Maybe, because it's true - if it was fiction you'd think it was a load of mince.

I was bored throughout. Just no my type of film.

Not a new film by any means but one the military history enthusiasts and war film fans might be really interested in. I know I am.

The BFI are re-issuing a rare 1927 docu-drama "The Battles of Coronel and the Falkland Islands" on DVD next week.

In a nutshell for those that may not know, the film is a factual account about two highly costly and destructive naval battles that took place in the South Atlantic during the first few months of World War One. The Royal Navy's efforts to track down a squadron of German cruisers led to the Battle of Coronel (off the coast of Chile) which was a victory for the German Navy and saw over 1500 British sailors killed and two British ships sunk. The Royal Navy sent two powerful new ships to the South Atlantic and several weeks later the Battle of the Falkland Islands ended in a victory for the Royal Navy and the end of the German squadron with 1900 German sailors killed and four German ships sunk.

It was filmed using actual Royal Navy ships, officers and men which added to the realism.

A few of the papers have highly praised the restored re-released print that's about to become available on January 19th. It can be pre-ordered on Amazon.

Much better than some of the rubbish Hollywood comes out with nowadays.

Birdman

amazing.

Technically outstanding with the continuous long takes. The soundtrack and sound editing worked perfectly too. Top notch performances from Keaton, Norton, Stone etc.

Love watching a film that feels really original, fresh and exhilarating.

Hope there's some competition to knock this off my top spot as it'll be a fantastic year for film if there is.

Birdman

flipping amazing.

Technically outstanding with the continuous long takes. The soundtrack and sound editing worked perfectly too. Top notch performances from Keaton, Norton, Stone etc.

Love watching a film that feels really original, fresh and exhilarating.

Hope there's some competition to knock this off my top spot as it'll be a fantastic year for film if there is.

Watched "Starred Up" last night on SKY best film I've seen in years, wouldve liked to haveseen that one at the pictures !!

Recently watched:

The constant Gardner - really good. Makes you wonder what actually goes on in developing countries with medicines. Based on a book and the author said from his research his fictional story is a lot tamer than what actually goes on.

NEDS - pretty rubbish. End scenes with the knife for hands and the safari park were laughably bad.

Predestination - Aussie sci fi with Ethan Hawke. Complete mind f!ck, can't decide if it was genius or a mess. Requires a second watch. Coming out in the UK next month I think. Aussie female newcomer plays the co lead and is outstanding.

Blackfish - Killer whale documentary mainly about treatment and trainer deaths in sea world. Really good despite being obviously biased. Won't be visiting a sea world or anytype of zoo / park again.

Awakenings - Robin Williams and De Niro, 90's film based on a true story about a hospital with chronic catatonic patients who briefly recover with a new medication. Another good one. Well acted.

The Rover - Guy Pearce & Robert Pattinson, set in Australia 10 years after an economic crash has left rural Australia a crime infested wasteland. What it lacks in story, it makes up for it in acting and suspense. Worth a watch.

Recently watched:

The constant Gardner - really good. Makes you wonder what actually goes on in developing countries with medicines. Based on a book and the author said from his research his fictional story is a lot tamer than what actually goes on.

NEDS - pretty rubbish. End scenes with the knife for hands and the safari park were laughably bad.

Predestination - Aussie sci fi with Ethan Hawke. Complete mind f!ck, can't decide if it was genius or a mess. Requires a second watch. Coming out in the UK next month I think. Aussie female newcomer plays the co lead and is outstanding.

Blackfish - Killer whale documentary mainly about treatment and trainer deaths in sea world. Really good despite being obviously biased. Won't be visiting a sea world or anytype of zoo / park again.

Awakenings - Robin Williams and De Niro, 90's film based on a true story about a hospital with chronic catatonic patients who briefly recover with a new medication. Another good one. Well acted.

The Rover - Guy Pearce & Robert Pattinson, set in Australia 10 years after an economic crash has left rural Australia a crime infested wasteland. What it lacks in story, it makes up for it in acting and suspense. Worth a watch.

Have you been too busy to watch films for the last 15 years ?

American Sniper

Good film. While I appreciate it was a true story, it wasn't exactly something I hadn't seen before. A war film with lots of hoorah usa, America yeah etc. Nonetheless, an interesting insight into the lives of these snipers, and the split second decisions they have to take out in the field.

Foxcatcher

About brother wrestlers who are taken under the wing of a mental billionaire who fancies himself as a coach. I won't say any more than that, as I thankfully managed to avoid the rest of the story so there were a few surprises for me. Unbelievable at points.

Some good performances from Carrell and Ruffalo. I'm not a massive fan of Tatum but he was alright as the main character.

Definitely not without its flaws. Its long for what it is, and doesn't always hold your interest fantastically well, but a good insight into some interesting characters.