Wee Shaun Maloney Linked With Old Boss - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wee Shaun Maloney Linked With Old Boss

Robroysboy

Robert martinez has enquired about a 500,000 move for shaun maloney whos contract expires at the end of the season.

Martinez was his boss at wigan and is a big admirer of the little pocket rocket.

I personally would love to see shaun back in the EPL and if his performance against ireland is anything to go by he still has alot to offer both his club and country.

Edited by Robroysboy

Was a number of reports at the weekend linking him with a move to the MLS with Chicago Fire in the next transfer window with Wigan looking to cash in now rather than let him go for nothing in the summer.

Would prefer it if he stayed in England.

Definitely for the best he stays in England and EPL if he can get a game. MLS is as bad as going back to the SPHell

I have no major problem with him going to the MLS (its mainly the travel that will be the killer).

If Bradley Wright Phillips can be a star out there and actually get linked with a England call up, Maloney will be a even bigger star out there LOL

I do not think Maloney would walk into the Everton team.... at least straight away.

If he moves in the January transfer window I suspect he will be used sparingly, with probably more starts towards the end of the season.

Everton (along with Newcastle and Burnley) linked with Lewis MacLeod also.

I have no major problem with him going to the MLS (its mainly the travel that will be the killer).

If Bradley Wright Phillips can be a star out there and actually get linked with a England call up, Maloney will be a even bigger star out there LOL

Thats a fair point ......while obviously a move to Everton would give him a much better standard of football....the MLS is slowly getting better

Maloney is 31 also, if he was young player then I would be of the opinion that he should stay in a european league in order to help his development......but as he is 31 , i would be of the opinion that he doesnt have much more to learn.

Looking at Robbie Keane....moving to the L.A Galaxy ....while it is a substandard league compared to its european rivals......it has kept Keane fresh for Ireland and it has in no way affected his Ireland career as he has been banging the goals in for us ever since his move to the MLS a few seasons back.

Maloney comes across as a smart lad.....provided he keeps himself fit , the move to the MLS (should it happen) wouldnt do his Scotland career any harm at all

It would however make his wallet an awful lot fatter....which is no bad thing....and ive no doubt a player of his talent would become a superstar over there

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

If this does turn out to be true, then getting Maloney for £500,000 would be good deal for Everton. The price is probably right. He's undoubtedly still a very talented player, but it was probably his injury record that put clubs off buying him when Wigan were relegated. As others have pointed out what with him soon turning 32, he would probably be more of a squad player.

I don't think the MLS would be all that bad a move either for him but Everton would be great if the move came off.

Thats a fair point ......while obviously a move to Everton would give him a much better standard of football....the MLS is slowly getting better

True.... it is getting better, but the standard of player playing in it is a reflection of the league.

Each team gets a "star" given to them..... which I think makes folk think the league is better than what it is.... but all the teams are made up of a couple of home grown players, couple of "star players" who are past their best, with the rest of the team made up of European Journeymen (guys who if back in England would be at the likes of a Oldham, Coventry, Charlton style team).

I think Maloney would shine in the MLS, as the league seems to be starting to focus more on attracting actual talent than just guys who can play alright who are not wanting to play in the lower regions of the English league for a midlands/mining town club etc.....

Edited by wanderer

Was a number of reports at the weekend linking him with a move to the MLS with Chicago Fire in the next transfer window with Wigan looking to cash in now rather than let him go for nothing in the summer.

Would prefer it if he stayed in England.

One might be persuaded to head along to watch some "saaaaccer" if that happened. So far I've resisted the urge as the sight of squealing wee Yank lassies and metrosexual men eating popcorn and hot dogs has put me off!

One might be persuaded to head along to watch some "saaaaccer" if that happened. So far I've resisted the urge as the sight of squealing wee Yank lassies and metrosexual men eating popcorn and hot dogs has put me off!

Watched a couple of games on Sky, and only team I have seen who I think "yeah, I would fancy a bit of that" is Seattle with their vocal European style Ultras section....

True.... it is getting better, but the standard of player playing in it is a reflection of the league.

Each team gets a "star" given to them..... which I think makes folk think the league is better than what it is.... but all the teams are made up of a couple of home grown players, couple of "star players" who are past their best, with the rest of the team made up of European Journeymen (guys who if back in England would be at the likes of a Oldham, Coventry, Charlton style team).

I think Maloney would shine in the MLS, as the league seems to be starting to focus more on attracting actual talent than just guys who can play alright who are not wanting to play in the lower regions of the English league for a midlands/mining town club etc.....

Oh dont get me wrong mate - its still pretty poor stuff

I have watched alot of it .....through keeping tabs on Robbie playing for L.A and i have attended numerous MLS games as I lived in North America for a few years

Re: Each team having a "Star" ....AFAIK....there is a limit to the number of foreign big name players they can have in the MLS....which in turn affects the wage bracket decided for the foreign player signed.

Keane(L.A Galaxy), Henry (New York Red Bulls) and now Lampard (New York City) would be on the very big bucks over there.....i have no idea what wage bracket Shaun would fall under ...but no doubt it would be decent

I think the main thing I am getting at is that....if Shaun should go there.....i dont think for one second it would lessen the Standard of football he plays and in turn his performances for Scotland .....due to his age and there being not been much more for him to learn in the game (hence the Robbie Keane and Ireland parallel i used)

Re: Each team having a "Star" ....AFAIK....there is a limit to the number of foreign big name players they can have in the MLS....which in turn affects the wage bracket decided for the foreign player signed.

Keane(L.A Galaxy), Henry (New York Red Bulls) and now Lampard (New York City) would be on the very big bucks over there.....i have no idea what wage bracket Shaun would fall under ...but no doubt it would be decent

Star you get depends on where you are based.... the mega stars are always going to end up at LA and New York (basically the Galaxy are trying to be the Lakers of the football scene out there....).

Some of these league assigned players are making some serious money.... Liam Ridgewell is hardly a star player, yet sure I read he is one of the top 10 earners in the league.

Sure Kenny Miller was raking in over a million $'s a season.....

Maloney will probably be earning the same, probably no less than half a million $'s a season.

Star you get depends on where you are based.... the mega stars are always going to end up at LA and New York (basically the Galaxy are trying to be the Lakers of the football scene out there....).

Some of these league assigned players are making some serious money.... Liam Ridgewell is hardly a star player, yet sure I read he is one of the top 10 earners in the league.

Sure Kenny Miller was raking in over a million $'s a season.....

Maloney will probably be earning the same, probably no less than half a million $'s a season.

You are correct!

Should have specified the Star to Mega Star when referencing Keane/Henry/lampard

Yeah Kenny in Vancouver was on very good cash

Ireland's own Darren O'Dea was the highest paid player for Toronto FC while he was there.....his wages were higher than those of Alessandro Nesta (yes ...that Nesta) who was Playing for Montreal Impact at the time............trust me i was as shocked at this as ye are now :shocked::shocked:

P.S i rate Maloney alot higher than Liam Ridgewell :-))

Green-tide-rising...is there nothing u haven't done,no where u haven't been or no body u haven't met??uve have had an extremely blessed life.

Sorry?????

Where have I ever said ANYWHERE on this forum that I have met people ? I have never said that I have ever met anyone significant

I lived in North America for a few years.......as did millions of others ......what is so blessed about that?

I went to MLS games while living there......thats no more blessed than living in Scotland and going to SPL games, living in Ireland and going to League of Ireland games etc etc.......whats the problem?

WTF are you talking about?

perhaps the other poster is maybe paying you a compliment you are indeed a well traveled person

perhaps. ..but I never said I travelled around nth America or anywhere else bar nth America. ....so not sure how well travelled that makes me ?

Still trying to figure his "is anybody you haven't met" comment!!!

I never said I met anyone

perhaps. ..but I never said I travelled around nth America or anywhere else bar nth America. ....so not sure how well travelled that makes me ?

Still trying to figure his "is anybody you haven't met" comment!!!

I never said I met anyone

Who have you no met but?

On the subject a move to Everton would be good for Maloney in that it's a better level of football but, I'd be concerned that his playing time may well be limited.

Just thought I'd mention that, not that I don't think he's a great player, but no I don't think he'd walk into the Everton team either. What I meant was Maloney would perform the physical act of walking from Wigan to Liverpool to sign the contract should Everton offer him a deal.