G.a.r.l. Is Back - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

G.a.r.l. Is Back

I'm no expert but could you not just have a tunnel and an automated walkway from Queen Street to Buchanan Street Subway and Central to St. Enoch as a cheap option.

Glasgow must be the biggest city in Western Europe with the least integrated transport system.

I'm no expert but could you not just have a tunnel and an automated walkway from Queen Street to Buchanan Street Subway and Central to St. Enoch as a cheap option.

Glasgow must be the biggest city in Western Europe with the least integrated transport system.

Ach, stop greeting Mitre. They've got wee buses that go up and doon from Central to Queen St every 10 minutes.

Looking at Googlemaps, I recon the trainline goes within about 50m of the airport.

A lump of concrete either side of the track and a covered walkway to the terminal is all that's needed. £100k at the most.

Next.

Looks to me as if you could take a branch off around Paisley St James and take it almost right up to the airport across mainly waste ground or ground with nothing built on it anyway. I assume it would be possible to get across the M8 just to the east of the St James interchange and the track could run on an elevated structure right to the terminal building, or you could stop short and put in a travelator. Is that what the original proposal was, because I thought they might originally have been intending to branch off at Gilmour Street for some reason?

Looks to me as if you could take a branch off around Paisley St James and take it almost right up to the airport across mainly waste ground or ground with nothing built on it anyway.

From the clip I saw on the news last night that's exactly where it will be built.

I think that was the plan last time too, only with a proper railway rather than tram tracks.

Assuming these trams will be running to Central fairly frequently, it'll make that track between Glasgow and Paisley incredibly busy.

From the clip I saw on the news last night that's exactly where it will be built.

I think that was the plan last time too, only with a proper railway rather than tram tracks.

Assuming these trams will be running to Central fairly frequently, it'll make that track between Glasgow and Paisley incredibly busy.

Is there any reason why it couldn't go to Queen St instead of Central? Most normal folk arrive in Glasgow at Queen St.

Forget Paisley.

Take a spur off the line near Clydebank and over the Clyde to the west of the River Cart. Then, the airport link goes through Partick, the fourth busiest transport hub in Scotland and can be accessed from both Queen Street and Central Stn.

Would that not be a really big bridge?

:lol:

Presume it wouldn't be too far upstream from the erskine bridge? That's quite a big job!

Aye was thinking it would need to be a huge bridge or tunnel to allow ships to pass.

Nice idea though, you could create a loop from Clydebank to Paisley via the airport, all bases covered there.

Orraloon, the reason it's going to Central is so it can use existing tracks and keep the cost down...

There's actually a disused railway runs from Paisley up past the airport just the other side of the White Cart. Stick some new track down and you're sorted. Would mean the airport station would be next to the sewage works right enough...

well maist of paisley is a sewage works anyhoo.... ;-)

Even if the final price is 100x higher - I've still saved the taxpayer a fortune.

There appears to be a few massive empty fields by my new station too, so may convert them to a Park & Ride car park too.

The business case for my plan is really stacking up.

The owners of some of the fields have refused to sell to the airport before,airport is ####ed for expansion because of this.

As far as I know there is an old runner between St Enoch and central just now, its bricked up at both ends though.

Would be good to get some decent link to the airport. They are currently starting to change the whole road system there just now and changing pick up and drop off too, going to be a shit show

• 9 months later...