Hangovers - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip that works for me - if I am going on a session, drink a pint of water before each pint of beer. usually 3 or 4 pints of water are all I can handle then it is beer all the way - those early waters though make a massive difference to the eventual outcome.

I piss like a horse when I'm on the beers as it is!

:lol:

I piss like a horse when I'm on the beers as it is!

I'm ok until I burst the seal...

It's amazing what a difference being dehydrated from a session the day before can make - I watched the Georgia away game in the Horseshoe and managed to last from 4pm until well after the final whistle before going for a piss (which was handy as it was absolutely rammed and fighting my way to the karzis would've been a nightmare).

I'm ok until I burst the seal...

It's amazing what a difference being dehydrated from a session the day before can make - I watched the Georgia away game in the Horseshoe and managed to last from 4pm until well after the final whistle before going for a piss (which was handy as it was absolutely rammed and fighting my way to the karzis would've been a nightmare).

hahaha I've got a 4 pint bladder after that it's one in one out

In the main, Water, Water & more Water!

Before, during and after - works a real treat, every time. A litre before bed is ideal, preferably with salt (high quality). Add a multi vitamin and some milk thistle into the mix and your often / almost home free.

Next morning, a fresh fruit juice (glucose) is ideal, both for brain and organs, even better if including some lemon or lime juice (alkalising, stimulates and assists liver) better again still if you have the lemon or lime before a fruit juice with luke warm water.

If you are still struggling go with the hair of the dog option! This does work!! interesting science behind it.

In my youth I suffered for many years with really terrible hangovers, usually went out on the Friday night, returning early hours of Sunday morning, interspersed with a few hours on the sofa or in a bed somewhere other than home. On arriving home, I was nearly always unable to move out my bed for approx 36 hours, unable to eat, keep down a drink of water etc. The hangovers were so bad that I was either going to give up the drink, other than for special occasions, or i'd find a cure pronto, thankfully it was the latter!

Following the above has been life changing for me and a number of friends that have embraced the same routine. Hope it proves to be of great benefit for the OP and any others that are struggling.

Cliche I know but mine are seriously getting worse as I get older.

I was at The Prodigy gig on Monday and I'm STILL suffering today. Don't get me wrong it was a 6am shot, so can have no complaints, but ffs thought I would be awright by now.

Seriously considering chucking it they are getting so bad.

I've noticed my reaction / recovery to some other indulgences is getting worse as I get older!

Where did you end up till 6? Were warm cans, beer, cider etc involved towards the end? I found that drinking not properly chilled drinks, when dragging it out, made the hangover worse.

Not my thing but I know of people who speak highly of taking a 'sleeping aid' of some sort before bed as this helps with a better sleep and results in a well rested body, in turn minimising hangovers. This could be something as simple as magnesium, which acts as a muscle relaxant or something stronger like a benzo of some sort. If going down the benzo route, one should be very careful and ideally take one that has anti convulsant properties.

Mc expat, did you ever consider just coming home the same day as you went out?

LoL I did on the odd occasion but this was last resort and not pre planned!

The days I am referring to were my 'party days' and I didn't want to miss anything, there was always so much going on in my circle it was easier to fall by the wayside, than it was to go home!

Funnily enough, on the occasions I did go home, were I to have an extended sleep I would mostly feel just as bad as I did when coming home a day later. I realised this was due to my body dehydrating and changing state to eliminate the alcohol. When I didn't return home on the first night but still caught a sleep it was always for a shorter duration, with wake up usually resulting in a hair of the dog beverage and a morning roll or two and a can of Irn Bru so dehydration didn't occur,at least not to same extent, nor did the alcohol related change in body state, plus the body got nutrients from food.

Serious issues with DTs after 3 day drinking blitz in Dublin. Vowed to never get in that state again......over 5 months

has passed and I have been true to my word. Can still enjoy 5 to 6 pints on a night out but I have learned to stop.

aye me as well took till the Friday before l was ok guess when you get older your body canny handle it

One I used to do, was before going out, I'd lay two max strength ibuprofen on my bedside table and a 2 half litre bottles of isotonic still lucosade.

I'd get home, down the pills and smash back one of the isotonics.

Next morning wake up, pop another two pills and batter back the second isotonic.

Seemed to help.

Now I get crippling hangovers. The last bad yin was in Tiblisi. Was so bad I couldn't drink on match day. A combination of heat, all day drinking for two days and smoking fags and hookah (I don't smoke) did me in.

J

In the main, Water, Water & more Water!

It is possible to drink too much water and risk flushing too much of the electrolytes out of your system. I think "water and more water" should be plenty. A wee bit salt and sugar should help as well. Try to take some of the salt as potassium - eat a banana.

Dehydration is just one aspect of hangovers. Another main reason alcohol makes us feel ill is that acetaldehyde is an intermediate in the metabolising of alcohol. Acetaldehyde is a poison which our body doesn't like and it takes time for our bodies to process it. We just can't get round the fact that it takes time for our bodies to process this acetaldehyde. Some peoples bodies are better at it than other. Also, if you drink shyte quality alcohol products you can often be consuming extra aldehydes and ketones which poison you even more.

Been rough as a badgers arse today,the golf club agm was the last thing that I needed.

I've also just received an email to say that the trainers I ordered this morning at 3am have been dispatched...................

To the flat I moved out of 14 months ago :lol:

Edited by dandydunn