Western Bombs Will Fill Isis With Joy - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Western Bombs Will Fill Isis With Joy

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy Corbyn and McDonnells line that it's debate and isn't division. Dissent is important in political parties, not just important but absolutely essential, it was essential when the right were in power of the Labour party and it's important now the left are. As I've said ad nauseam is that Corbyn is in the process of moving power from the PLP to the membership, this takes time and once completed will be the most important political move in my short life.

A couple of serious questions, do you think that Corbyn has the necessary personal and political skills to pull that off though? I'd extend that to his close supporters in the PLP as well.

Also, to what extent do you think that Corbyn's large margin of victory spoke to personal support for himself and how much was it a reaction against the rightward shift of the Labour party since Blair and that the three other candidates were indistinguisable and uninspiring?

For all Corbyn's plus points, he doesn't strike me as a leader. I appreciate that shifting the centre of the Labour Party isn't going to happen over time but nothing he's done since he became leader has demonstrated to me that he's got what it takes to do that.

A couple of serious questions, do you think that Corbyn has the necessary personal and political skills to pull that off though? I'd extend that to his close supporters in the PLP as well.

Also, to what extent do you think that Corbyn's large margin of victory spoke to personal support for himself and how much was it a reaction against the rightward shift of the Labour party since Blair and that the three other candidates were indistinguisable and uninspiring?

For all Corbyn's plus points, he doesn't strike me as a leader. I appreciate that shifting the centre of the Labour Party isn't going to happen over time but nothing he's done since he became leader has demonstrated to me that he's got what it takes to do that.

There will have been a degree of protest vote among his election. I can't remember the total vote he took in the leadership elections 66% rings a bell? There was a Labour poll published at the weekend that showed 60% of full members were completely satisfied with his leadership and this jumps to 82% when registered supporters are added. The Labour membership isn't the same as what it was in May, thousands of people have joined following Jezzas election, And thousands have left... Although the Net gain has far outnumbered those lost. Disaffiliated Unions are also returning to Labour, and others have scheduled ballots to return.

His satisfaction rating among the public is also superior to Cameron's and that's despite the media campaign against them.

The party is moving in the right direction... Which is left. Whether it will be enough to win an election is still to be seen, there are plenty who want to see him fail.

In Jez we trust! :ok:

The Labour party has proven once again that it's main priority is - The Labour party

Scumbags

That is exactly what is happening here. Corbyn might (just might) have been able to stop the UK bombing innocent folk in Syria and he has bottled it in a vain attempt to hold onto a tiny wee bit of power. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life. When the first innocent victim dies from a UK bomb, I hope he thinks to himself - "I did that"

I can almost taste your tears from here. :lol:

No tears mate - just rage

That is exactly what is happening here. Corbyn might (just might) have been able to stop the UK bombing innocent folk in Syria and he has bottled it in a vain attempt to hold onto a tiny wee bit of power. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life. When the first innocent victim dies from a UK bomb, I hope he thinks to himself - "I did that"

Yep

The only time i'll probably ever agree with Galloway was on Sunday where he called it 100%

Edited by Ally Bongo

There will have been a degree of protest vote among his election. I can't remember the total vote he took in the leadership elections 66% rings a bell? There was a Labour poll published at the weekend that showed 60% of full members were completely satisfied with his leadership and this jumps to 82% when registered supporters are added. The Labour membership isn't the same as what it was in May, thousands of people have joined following Jezzas election, And thousands have left... Although the Net gain has far outnumbered those lost. Disaffiliated Unions are also returning to Labour, and others have scheduled ballots to return.

His satisfaction rating among the public is also superior to Cameron's and that's despite the media campaign against them.

The party is moving in the right direction... Which is left. Whether it will be enough to win an election is still to be seen, there are plenty who want to see him fail.

In Jez we trust! :ok:

And my first question?

http://www.fbuscotland.org/news/fbu-scottish-region-vote-against-labour-party-affiliation

I agree that he's bottled it but I don't think its to do with a vain attempt to cling on to power but more that he doesn't feel his position is secure enough to force the inevitable split that will happen in the PLP right now.

He probably wishes that this particular issue hadn't come up so early in his leadership but to draw a football analogy, you can only play against what's in front of you.

I've just seen an interview on Channel 4 News with him and he seems to be trying to exert pressure on "rebel" Labour MPs that if and when it all goes wrong, they will be held to account by their constituents for voting in favour. That may be the case but I don't think he'll be able to say "I voted against" when he was in a position to do so much more to stop it.

Hmmmm, as opposed the the Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A point conveniently overlooked in the presses glee at kicking Corbyn.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

And my first question?

Yes, I believe he does. I'm happy with the job he's done so far when he's been getting it from all sides.

FBU have reaffiliated with the Labour Party. Membership fees of members in Scotland won't go to the funding of the Labour Party.

J

This. Look at the amount of airtime/ written coverage focussing on Jeremy Corbyn and will he/won't he free votery. Shameful, and blatently obvious distraction tactics by the MSM. Why isn't Call Me Psycho Bombing Pig Fancier Dave being grilled to the ###### max by the likes of Kuennsberg? That's a rhetorical question btw.

Jeremy Corbyn is doing a fine and principled job, despite the near hysterical criticism he's facing. The free vote thing; I would argue offering his back-stabbing, Blairite 'more concerned with being invited by the POTUS to a swanky do, when I'm PM/Foreign Sec etc etc' than voting with my conscience on matters of life and death, is a point of principle. His one mistake is imagining for a moment that any of this crew has one shred of decency in their entire, faux 'concerned for the people' posturing. He's a decent man and is giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'd be demanding a new Act of Parliament insuring it was them leading the charge in any future ground involvement. It'd be interesting watching how quickly their 'principled' support of war evaporated.

Edited by Mash it up Harry

Sillyness or a man who's worried he won't get his war?

Think it's clear he will definitely get it now

Triumphalism most likely

Edited by Ally Bongo

I agree that he's bottled it but I don't think its to do with a vain attempt to cling on to power but more that he doesn't feel his position is secure enough to force the inevitable split that will happen in the PLP right now.

He probably wishes that this particular issue hadn't come up so early in his leadership but to draw a football analogy, you can only play against what's in front of you.

I've just seen an interview on Channel 4 News with him and he seems to be trying to exert pressure on "rebel" Labour MPs that if and when it all goes wrong, they will be held to account by their constituents for voting in favour. That may be the case but I don't think he'll be able to say "I voted against" when he was in a position to do so much more to stop it.

Have the Labour MPs who voted for an illegal war in Iraq been "held to account"?

J

Everybody knows that Cameron is a despicable war mongering fuker. Many people had higher hopes for Corbyn.

Everybody knows that Cameron is a despicable war mongering fuker. Many people had higher hopes for Corbyn.

:lol:

Your moral indignation would be bizarre if its motivation were not so obvious.

Cabinet government, and cabinet opposition, is intended to prevent a leader's dictatorship. The man is trying to re-democratize the party and he won't be able to do that with the jackboots you're so keen for him to wear.

Have the Labour MPs who voted for an illegal war in Iraq been "held to account"?

The general narrative there seems to be "we were conned by Blair" a classic big boy did it and ran away defence.

Arguably, the Labour Party as a whole are being held to account for Iraq.