My Book - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'It remains the only time I've ever had my erect penis out in the middle of a supermarket'

As opening gambits go it's an attention grabber :lol:

Seems to give everyone a good chuckle! The rest of the book is just as self deprecating, unfortunately.

Hope you're enjoying it.

Book purchased mate.

You have already got some cracking reviews on Amazon.

Good on you btw. I got a short story published last year and it's something I've always fancied doing myself.

As I said on the latest post on the book's FB page - everyone who has got in touch about it has said they've really enjoyed it, been pishing themselves laughing etc. Quite possible that the ones who aren't enjoying it, just aren't getting in touch, but in my experience that is absolutely *not* how the internet works! Folk who dislike things are usually pretty vocal about it.

You should absolutely give it a bash. The fact that self-publishing is an option is a great motivator to keep you going with it. Even if it takes you a few years to finish, as I did, you can just chip away at it knowing that it will at least make it into print one day.

As I said on the latest post on the book's FB page - everyone who has got in touch about it has said they've really enjoyed it, been pishing themselves laughing etc. Quite possible that the ones who aren't enjoying it, just aren't getting in touch, but in my experience that is absolutely *not* how the internet works! Folk who dislike things are usually pretty vocal about it.

You should absolutely give it a bash. The fact that self-publishing is an option is a great motivator to keep you going with it. Even if it takes you a few years to finish, as I did, you can just chip away at it knowing that it will at least make it into print one day.

Aye well the short story was a self publishing job. Not by me mind you, the author/narrator of the book put together loads of snippets and short stories. I got some pretty good feedback on mine so fancied giving it a go.

Did you get anyone to proof read it out of interest? That was the only thing with that book of stories, there are quite a few mistakes in it. The author just proof read it all himself.

As I say though, good on you mate, I'll drop you a note once I've finished it :ok:

Did you get anyone to proof read it out of interest? That was the only thing with that book of stories, there are quite a few mistakes in it. The author just proof read it all himself.

Going down the self publishing route, I've been very mindful that there's a responsibility to ensure a good quality product for folk, so as well as going over it countless times with a fine tooth comb myself, I had three people read it over and give feedback - my dad, my best mate and a good pal.

That might seem like a biased group, but it was the three most brutally honest people I could find. Sure enough they were all more than happy to give constructive criticism and on their feedback, several bits of the book were changed or removed.

Since it's been published, I've already caught at least one tiny mistake, but it is pretty much as error free as its going to be, and I hope with their feedback it's also pretty good quality, too!

Edited to add: one of my pals is a journalist too, so was really worthwhile having him look at it. He suggested a change that's actually attracted a lot of positive comment, so pleased I had folk cast an eye.

Edited by Dillinger

Amazon.co.uk

Download the Amazon Mobile App

| Your Orders | Amazon.co.uk

Dispatch Confirmation

Hello,

We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched your item(s). Your order is on the way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.co.uk.

Your estimated delivery date is:

Wednesday, March 11 2015.

Your item(s) is (are) being sent by Amazon Logistics. Depending on the delivery method you chose, it's possible that the tracking information might not be visible immediately. Learn more about Tracking.

If you have a mobile device, you can use the free Amazon Mobile App to receive delivery notifications and track your parcel on the go.

Delivery Information

Daytime Friends - The Very Best Of Kenny Rogers

Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£3.99

Kerby: Funny tales from a 1990's Scottish childhood

£5.99

The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, Book 9)

£8.00

I'll read yours first. :-)

Thought I'd made the e-mail shorter but looks as long. My mind it too taken up with coconut oil and TAMBers wives.

Edited by G-Man

Amazon.co.uk

Download the Amazon Mobile App

| Your Orders | Amazon.co.uk

Dispatch Confirmation

Hello,

We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched your item(s). Your order is on the way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.co.uk.

Your estimated delivery date is:

Wednesday, March 11 2015.

Your item(s) is (are) being sent by Amazon Logistics. Depending on the delivery method you chose, it's possible that the tracking information might not be visible immediately. Learn more about Tracking.

If you have a mobile device, you can use the free Amazon Mobile App to receive delivery notifications and track your parcel on the go.

Delivery Information

Daytime Friends - The Very Best Of Kenny Rogers

£3.99

Kerby: Funny tales from a 1990's Scottish childhood

£5.99

The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, Book 9)

£8.00

I'll read yours first. :-)

Thought I'd made the e-mail shorter but looks as long. My mind it too taken up with coconut oil and TAMBers wives.

Another logan McRae fan? Spins a good yarn does Stuart macbride.

Another logan McRae fan? Spins a good yarn does Stuart macbride.

I think it was Flat Earth who first mentioned him so when I saw one of his books I picked it up and been hooked ever since. Not an author I can recommend to everyone though, quite brutal. Unlike Kerby, which I'll recommend to everyone! :-)

Just had an ad for it on my Facebook page! So it seems to work.

Anyway, I meant to post a while back, have you signed up to the scheme that pays you when your book is borrowed from a library? The name escapes me, but if you hit lucky you can earn some decent money. I'll get the info tonight and post it.

Just had an ad for it on my Facebook page! So it seems to work.

Anyway, I meant to post a while back, have you signed up to the scheme that pays you when your book is borrowed from a library? The name escapes me, but if you hit lucky you can earn some decent money. I'll get the info tonight and post it.

That's good going considering I haven't (yet) taken out any of the "ads" - you can pay to promote your page, or try to do it organically by getting folk to do likes, shares etc. Been trying to do as much of the latter as possible, so that's great that you've seen it on yours just through sharing!

And I don't think I am signed up to that - I think that's one of the options in the "expanded distribution" section, which includes stock in physical bookshops. I kept the price for my paperback so low that I can't afford to do that option - I'd make a loss on it. I don't want to increase my price any more as I tried to keep it as low as possible.

I think it was Flat Earth who first mentioned him so when I saw one of his books I picked it up and been hooked ever since. Not an author I can recommend to everyone though, quite brutal. Unlike Kerby, which I'll recommend to everyone! :-)

True.

I raced through the first 6 books. 7 and 8 I've been less enthusiastic about. It's all getting a bit 'samey' now. Lee Child's books were much the same for me. I've already given up on the new one. Only 80 pages in.

That's good going considering I haven't (yet) taken out any of the "ads" - you can pay to promote your page, or try to do it organically by getting folk to do likes, shares etc. Been trying to do as much of the latter as possible, so that's great that you've seen it on yours just through sharing!

And I don't think I am signed up to that - I think that's one of the options in the "expanded distribution" section, which includes stock in physical bookshops. I kept the price for my paperback so low that I can't afford to do that option - I'd make a loss on it. I don't want to increase my price any more as I tried to keep it as low as possible.

Public Lending Right - https://www.plr.uk.com/

Basically you get about 6.5p per book loaned at a library. There's some luck involved. Only a small number of libraries take part on a rolling basis, and the results are extrapolated out. I wrote a local history book about Midlothian a few years back and the PLR must have been in Midlothian last year and I made a mint.

Thanks for the info, Stapes. I'll need to look into it.

Certainly has so far, and i'm only on chapter two. :ok:

Good to hear!

You DO know that G-man is a lady?

Oops!!

Started book, Heads down, thumbs up made me laugh out loud.

Brill.

Can't be a classroom in Scotland that didn't play that classic.