Eu Vote - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birth cannot determine your right to a vote - either positively or negatively. Residency should.

Stolen from Twitter and sums up my feelings on it as someone who rightly couldn't vote in the Indy referendum.

And apparently Scotland has the problem with nationalism

Citizenship, not birth, determines your right to a vote. In any election or referendum. Residents of Scotland who didn't have UK, EU or Commonwealth citizenship couldn't vote in the referendum.

Just thinking there about a Greek colleague of mine who told me that the Greek community in Edinburgh were all voting no in the Scottish referendum to protect their jobs and place in the EU etc etc.

Now they have an even higher risk of exiting the EU and destabalising their jobs and they can't even vote.

NAE LUCK

Just thinking there about a Greek colleague of mine who told me that the Greek community in Edinburgh were all voting no in the Scottish referendum to protect their jobs and place in the EU etc etc.

Now they have an even higher risk of exiting the EU and destabalising their jobs and they can't even vote.

NAE LUCK

Bit harsh! Not their fault really that they believed the lies, bullying and intimidation of the establishment

• 2 weeks later...

Not allowing people resident in the UK a vote because of their nationality is shameful.

Yup. Can you imagine the cries of "xenophibia/nazi" that would've been forthcoming had the SNP made the referendum Scots only?

Very interesting to see all the arguments of the Eurosceptics that are about self-determination and democracy, from people who were mainly 'unionists' of another kind this time last year... also complaining that the Govt will be churning out unionist progaganda with no purdah period (where have I heard that before?)

Actually I sympathise with some of their arguments - some for the pro-EU arguments are as lazy and pathetic as some of the BT-kneejerk arguments - also the Europhobes are not all UKIPpers (just as Yessers were not all SNPers) and not all rabid xenophobes or little englanders (just as not all Yessers were claymore-wielding 'Bravehearts') though some of the media make them out to be...

If the big parties and big business and establishment media try to win by bullying with crass arguments it'll go closer to 'out' than they'd now imagine

Edited by exile

Yup. Can you imagine the cries of "xenophibia/nazi" that would've been forthcoming had the SNP made the referendum Scots only?

Like I said above, citizenship has always determined who can vote in UK polls. UK, EU and / or Commonwealth. Not residence. There was no Scottish citizenship so how would you determine a Scots-only franchise?

Edited by thorbotnic

Like I said above, citizenship has always determined who can vote in UK polls. UK, EU and / or Commonwealth. Not residence. There was no Scottish citizenship so how would you determine a Scots-only franchise?

People who's birth was registered in Scotland.

I would never advocate that though.

Labour today voted with the Tories and thereby opposed 16/17 year olds getting the vote along with any EU citizens living here.

Have Labour still not started to learn any lessons???

I see the SNP proposal for an individual country veto was defeated. Not really a viable option so hardly a surprise. If that was the case they might as well just hold the referendum in Northern Ireland and save costs...

Edited by Toepoke

People who's birth was registered in Scotland.

I would never advocate that though.

I have a friend who was born in Leeds, lived since age 3 in Paisley. No vote? My point is that the franchise was restricted by nationality in the referendum last year, and will be in this one. Edited by thorbotnic

I have a friend who was born in Leeds, lived since age 3 in Paisley. No vote? My point is that the franchise was restricted by nationality in the referendum last year, and will be in this one.

That post doesn't make sense. Are you saying that your friend didn't get a vote because he/she was born in England?

That post doesn't make sense. Are you saying that your friend didn't get a vote because he/she was born in England?

No. He's referencing the earlier post about franchising only those with a registered in Scotland birth.