Churchill: When Britain Said No - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Churchill: When Britain Said No

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wondered how he lost the election in the same year as the war ended. I knew he was no hero and know of his beliefs but still nice to see some truth about him at last.

Never seen it.

What was said ?

Always wondered how he lost the election in the same year as the war ended. I knew he was no hero and know of his beliefs but still nice to see some truth about him at last.

It was a really interesting programme.

What fascinates me is that the truth about Churchill....the good and the bad....is only really coming out now, more than 50 years after his death. He was a brilliant wartime PM, but in everything else he was a privileged, silver-spoon blue-blood with absolutely no understanding of anyone below his station.

In fact, as the programme last night proved, he detested the normal working class man. The footage from his rally in Walthamstow right at the end of the war, where he was booed and abused, was absolutely riveting and gripping....I had no idea that had taken place.

It's funny how history has 'protected' Churchill, rather than analysed the man's strnegths and weaknesses in full.

I'm surprised that the Daily Mail doesn't have a headline this morning getting stuck into these Commies at the BBC for allowing this programme to be shown.

Edited by Rossy

What fascinates me is that the truth about Churchill....the good and the bad....is only really coming out now, more than 50 years after his death. He was a brilliant wartime PM, but in everything else he was a privileged, silver-spoon blue-blood with absolutely no understanding of anyone below his station.

In fact, as the programme last night proved, he detested the normal working class man. The footage from his rally in Walthamstow right at the end of the war, where he was booed and abused, was absolutely riveting and gripping....I had no idea that had taken place.

It's funny how history has 'protected' Churchill, rather than analysed the man's strnegths and weaknesses in full.

I'm surprised that the Daily Mail doesn't have a headline this morning getting stuck into these Commies at the BBC for allowing this programme to be shown.

I'd take issue with that, I think it's been pretty well covered over the years that Churchill was a "complicated" individual.

If you look at his career before WW2 it's pretty much a catalog of scandal and disaster.

For obvious reasons the most interesting and important part of his career was WW2 so it's understandable that is the focus of attention.

Was the Daily Mail not on the Nazi side?

My wife's aunt (who's 90 and so is old enough to remember what happened) still has no time for Churchill owing to the Clydebank blitz. Something to do with Churchill ordering that water be poured into the streets to fool the German bombers into thinking that the streets were actually canals, with the resulting devastation that followed.

Anyone know about this?

I 'd guess that the reasoning was that the Germans would think that canals would be found in the dockyards and so by bombing in and around the canals they'd be destroying the dockyards and would have done their job. I've not heard mention of it from any other source though.

I'd take issue with that, I think it's been pretty well covered over the years that Churchill was a "complicated" individual.

Well, yes and no.

I agree with you that his overwhelming 'contribution' to British life was his outstanding role as wartime PM.

However, the more negative parts (the other 80 years of his life or so), have been rather hidden under the carpet. I like a bit of history but even then it takes a bit of digging and looking around after you get past disasters like Gallipoli.

It's generally quoted....and it has been all my life....that Churchill was 'Britain's greatest ever Prime Minister'.

That's not a quote that covers reality, but it's one which is often accepted without question.

It's generally quoted....and it has been all my life....that Churchill was 'Britain's greatest ever Prime Minister'.

That's not a quote that covers reality, but it's one which is often accepted without question.

Greatest ever wartime PM maybe. I hope there's a similar 70 year anniversary appraisal of Atlee and Bevin.

Greatest ever wartime PM maybe. I hope there's a similar 70 year anniversary appraisal of Atlee and Bevin.

Can I take it by your comments that you think the BBC's (negative) appraisal of Churchill is politically motivated ? :blink:

Churchill interference probably killed loads of allied servicemen. Thought he could run the Admiralty when he was no better than the corporal on the other side. Fortunately the Americans and Russians were there to save us.

Edited by scoobydoo

Can I take it by your comments that you think the BBC's (negative) appraisal of Churchill is politically motivated ? :blink:

I didn't see the programme but it looks interesting so I'll have a look at it on iPlayer.

I just think it would be interesting to see something on Atlee and Bevin, if only to show the Labour Party what they are supposed to be like.

And did he not badger the poles at Yalta? These guys had died in their millions and were hung out to dry.

I think that was more Roosevelt who sided with Stalin against Churchill as far as that was concerned but Churchill should have pushed harder considering what the Poles had gone through and the support they had given to Britain when it mattered.

I 'd guess that the reasoning was that the Germans would think that canals would be found in the dockyards and so by bombing in and around the canals they'd be destroying the dockyards and would have done their job. I've not heard mention of it from any other source though.

I would have thought the Germans would have sufficient intelligence to know that there were no canals anywhere near Clydebank, I don't think they flew about looking for things that looked like shipyards to bomb.

Sounds a bit like an urban myth to me but I do remember that there was some controversy over the Clydebank blitz. Will need to dig a bit further.