Churchill: When Britain Said No - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Churchill: When Britain Said No

The people who defeated Hitler were the Soviets and in particular the Russians. Which makes it even more disgusting that so many western leaders declined their invitation to their recent may commemorations.

I agree 100% on the commemorations

As for the Nazi's being defeated there were several factors - some having more depth than others - and the Soviet contribution is without doubt one of the primary factors

However as Churchill's wartime detractors use a lot of supposition here is what they miss out on

If there was no Churchill or he was kept out of politics Great Britain would have done one or all of the following;

Not rearmed sufficiently to fight a war

Continually appeased the Germans

Agreed conditions of peace

Surrendered

If any of these had happened then the Luftwaffe would not have been considerably weakened in the Battle of Britain

Instead it's whole force could have been turned on Russia and the Germans would have most likely secured an early victory

Most of these revisionists therefore blame Churchill for the deaths of millions of Russians and the fate suffered by millions of Jews so even they accept his contribution in getting Britain into the War

Obviously i take these theories as lunacy

Edited by Ally Bongo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Churchill should never have been anywhere near public life again after Gallipoli. He should have been sent off to a gin/rum soaked officers mess in the colonies.

Did he save us from Hitler? Maybe the working class squaddies and 51st highland division did. Their sheer fighting resolve and will power, not for king and Churchill but for each other.

Maybe Hitler blinking and turning east saved us. Who knows?

Maybe the working class 19-20 odd year old pilots saved us, not just the pinewood studio tally-ho Douglas Bader types!

One of the best books I've read is the Forgotten Highlander by Alistair Urquhart. Just one normal guys view of it all, not a politician or general after his legacy and place in history. Just a young apprentice called up and his view of it all.

Heres a wee bit about the east end dockers. Daily Fail so must be true!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2930818/Anger-BBC-Churchill-documentary-docker-s-claim-operators-paid-lower-cranes.html

Read Anthony Beeviors " d day" account of 51st highland div.....

It's great making stuff up though

I've also read the forgotten highlander

- outstanding

Sorry - i meant the bit that they miss out on is the state of the Luftwaffe before and after the Battle of Britain

Most "historians" suggest that Germany would still not have been able to conquer the Soviet Union if the few divisions that were tied up in France and the Channel had been added to their attack

The Luftwaffe started the Battle of Britain with over 2500 Aircraft and lost 1887 of them

This would have made a dramatic difference to Operation Barbarossa