The Vow - Delivered - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Vow - Delivered

Queen's speech today.

Quite surprised to read that Holyrood will get full control of APD?

Tax powers raised..... and Barnett reduced accordingly.

Hmmmm - this doesn't seem like the home rule Gordon Brown promised us?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get thrown a few crumbs and the Unionists trumpet about 'the strongest devolved government in the world'.

The fearties dinnae have to be feart anymore and can stop looking for big, bad nationalists under their beds (they think).

Job done.

Edited by Rossy

Good result. I actually think Cameron will be open to more devolution. He knows the next referendum on Scottish Independence won't be on his watch so he doesn't have to worry that his legacy will be the PM who lost Scotland.

Boris will be in charge by then...

Queen's speech today.

Quite surprised to read that Holyrood will get full control of APD?

Tax powers raised..... and Barnett reduced accordingly.

Hmmmm - this doesn't seem like the home rule Gordon Brown promised us?

There's not a penny extra in it for Scotland.

Take APD. If that attracts more tourists who spend more money, where does the VAT go?

And if Scotland reduces or eliminates APD, our pocket money will be reduced penny for penny.

There's not a penny extra in it for Scotland.

Take APD. If that attracts more tourists who spend more money, where does the VAT go?

And if Scotland reduces or eliminates APD, our pocket money will be reduced penny for penny.

And income tax is the same. They say we get control of income tax but every penny raised gets taken off the block grant, so we are not any better of there either. All this does is shuffle money from one office to another. No real benefit for anybody really. I suppose it might give us a wee bit of practise at collecting tax for when we eventually get to do it for real?

And income tax is the same. They say we get control of income tax but every penny raised gets taken off the block grant, so we are not any better of there either. All this does is shuffle money from one office to another. No real benefit for anybody really. I suppose it might give us a wee bit of practise at collecting tax for when we eventually get to do it for real?

Unless we have all the economic levers it makes no sense.

What happens if we reduce income tax? Should the block grant not get increased accordingly?

Give them less trident cash accordingly .

If we had full fiscal responsibility we would keep all of the money that we raise and pay for "common services".

That's when we can tell them that we're not paying for Trident.

What do you think?

It was a slightly rhetorical question, but how does it work that if we put taxes up, the Barnett money gets reduced but it doesn't work the other way too? Almost as if it made it impossible to vary tax rates at all... Do you think they're doing it deliberately?

It was a slightly rhetorical question, but how does it work that if we put taxes up, the Barnett money gets reduced but it doesn't work the other way too? Almost as if it made it impossible to vary tax rates at all... Do you think they're doing it deliberately?

I don't know how it will work in practise. We won't know that until we see the detail of the bill. But I'm fairly confident it wont be beneficial to the people of Scotland. They can give the Scottish Parliament total control of income tax rates if they want, they know we wont be able to use it. We have had the power to vary income tax since 1999 but nobody has dared use it. The only time there was the slightest indication that we might think about using it, it turned out to be electoral suicide.

• 5 months later...

If the Daily Record and David Mundell say so it must be true !

I see that their readership is still falling. Can't wait till they go out of business.

Yes i wondered if they'd feel proud to be Mundell's mouthpiece

Mundell really is an odious wee turd. He has a face you'd never tire of punching. I know we're not supposed to call people quislings in case it makes the poor souls sad and hurt, but I can't think of another nickname for someone who takes such delight in doing down his own country. Maybe "Fluffy Food-Bank? The double barrelled bit is deliberate.

^ Mundell is a slimy obnoxious liar.

Cant stand politicians like Mundell using the NO vote in referendum as justification for limiting the powers Scotland should have.

Lets not forget there were 3 options in referendum. However the NO option covered 2 of them....

YES = Independence

NO = Status Quo OR Further Powers.

There should have been a 2nd question specifically on further powers if they really ever wanted a decisive answer to the "Scotland question" ?