The Vow - Delivered - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Vow - Delivered

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35641714

Sarah Smith on BBC says the Treasury would have liked to have "trimmed the block grant" (= "shafted Scotland", shurely?) and she seems to be channelling the unionist line that it's now all about how the powers will be used.

So is that The Vow delivered, or maybe Devo Max?

Edited by exile

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Just watched it being discussed on Scotland Tonight. Swinney's claiming a victory and everybody seemed to agree with his assertion...

Sounds like he has stood form and got most of the important stuff he asked for (ie no reduction to the overall budget). That's for the first 5 years anyway. Who knows what's going to happen after that? 

He probably bored the treasury folk into submission. Cameron probably got so fed up hearing about it, that he just said "Ach give the Jocks the extra couple of billion they keep on bleating about. I've got more important things to think about."

I'm really glad it wasn't Scottish Labour doing the negotiating. 

So the treasury wanted to rip Scotland off to the tune of £7 billion.  That is the message that should be broadcast loud and clear at every opportunity.  Westminster is not our friends and does not act in our best interests.  Well done Swinney for refusing to accept their rotten deals.  Not that you'll get any credit from the craven Scottish mainstream media sources.

With luck the people of Scotland will realise that the SNP has once again fought hard for Scotland.  It's coming yet for a' that.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Jackie Baillie. I'll just leave that there.  

They would probably have said " You want us to pay an extra £10 billion for some "tax powers"? Aye, nae bother we'll just increase Scottish income tax by another 3 pence in the pound to pay for it."

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They would probably have said " You want us to pay an extra £10 billion for some "tax powers"? Aye, nae bother we'll just increase Scottish income tax by another 3 pence in the pound to pay for it."

Surely they would just use the Air Passenger Duty money (again) - of course failing to mention that not implementing a reduction in APD doesn't actually give you any extra money.

If it had been Jackie Baillie leading the negotiations then the starting point would have been £7 billion detriment and the end point would be £15 billion.

Interesting that so many folk on here got all indignant when folk rubbished Alex Salmond because he's fat but no one seems to care when the first port of call to slag Labour politicians is "shes fat". 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Interesting that so many folk on here got all indignant when folk rubbished Alex Salmond because he's fat but no one seems to care when the first port of call to slag Labour politicians is "shes fat". 

Who got "all indignant" about Salmond being fat? I think you are  misrepresenting what actually happened. 

And it's not Labour politicians, as far as i can see it's only the one. And it would be hard to argue that she isn't.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Who got "all indignant" about Salmond being fat? I think you are  misrepresenting what actually happened. 

And it's not Labour politicians, as far as i can see it's only the one. And it would be hard to argue that she isn't.

And the relevance her weight has to her ability as a politician is? 

Shes a shite politician with seemingly weak political convictions. Slag that off, not her weight. 

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Shes a shite politician with seemingly weak political convictions. Slag that off, not her weight. 

Have you been putting on a wee bit of beef recently? ;)

17 minutes ago, Redz said:

Aye. Deliberately so, gained 6kg this winter :) 

1 hour ago, Redz said:

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

One poster on this thread made reference to Jackie Baillie's weight (or rather, her eating habits) and another laughed.  That was it.

For clarification, I find the woman repulsive (so much so that even the mere mention of her name is capable of almost putting me off my brekkie) precisely because of her weak political convictions and generally unctuous demeanour.  She could look like Cindy Crawford in an M&Co suit and I am sure I she would still have the same effect.