Bratislava - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bratislava

johnnie x

Yes, really great place which really surprised me (in my top 5 cities in Europe).

Not all that big so 2 full days and a night should be more than enough.

Do the Authentic Slovakia Tour of the city (driven around in a old communist era Skoda) as 3 of us did it when passing through on route to Vienna airport for the Macedonia game few years back.

Lived there for a year a decade ago. Haven't been back since so don't know how it's changed, but back then it was somewhere I would recommend for a weekend trip, particularly in summer. The centre is small and easy to negotiate all the main sights in a relatively short space of time.

It's a bit of a capital city by default, more like Dundee size wise. Very influenced by Hungarian and German culture (it was the capital of Hungary in the past when the Turks had annexed Buda and Pest). You probably need to drive a couple of hours towards the Tatras to experience the real Slovakia....

Only an hour or so from Vienna, why not go to both? :)

Pre-book the boat and pay the extra for a seat at the front.

Mates got the bus from Bratsilava to Vienna Airport in the morning, but I had all day, so took the afternoon ferry from Bratsilava to the Center of Vienna (something like 1 hour) kicked around Vienna City Center for a while and then got the train to the airport

Pre-book the boat and pay the extra for a seat at the front.

Mates got the bus from Bratsilava to Vienna Airport in the morning, but I had all day, so took the afternoon ferry from Bratsilava to the Center of Vienna (something like 1 hour) kicked around Vienna City Center for a while and then got the train to the airport

Will bear that in mind for the future.

I'd been looking to fly into Bratislava and home from Vienna, but couldn't find cheap flights home for the dates I had. £70 for the flight to Bratislava was nae bad though. Will keep my eye on it and go some other time.

Thanks for all the info. Doing Prague and Budapest in September with a couple of days stop off en route.

For the first time in 20 years of booking online made an arse of it, so a wasted train booking on Austrian railways.

Will leave it up to the wife.

As said, the Authentic Slovakia Tour is well worth it (http://www.authenticslovakia.com/).

Mates stayed in the Hostel above Europa Pub, but I stayed along in the Ibis (just a stones throw from the old town).

Very compact city.... no matter where you walk, you are never more than a couple of minutes walk from the old town (which in itself is tiny).

Bars I enjoyed were KGB (good underground bar outside old town) and Europa Pub (there is a majorly overpriced Scottish Pub in the old town, which is alright to sit outside and people watch.... just buy a local beer, as it was 5 Euros for a bottle of cider when we went there) and go to Flag Ship Bratislava Restaurant for a meal (really great food at shrapnel prices)

best part of two full days and one night is more than enough to enjoy the place.

Edited by wanderer

• 3 weeks later...

I liked Bratislava a lot, and would be great for a Scotland game.

It would be great, but unfortunately Slovakia play all their games in Zilina, which is roughly half way between Bratislava and Krakow, as the stadium in Bratislava will not be ready for a few more years.

Was in Bratislava last week and ate at the Flag Ship Bratislava Restaurant twice. Top ribs and dumplings with bacon and cabbage.

I liked Bratislava a lot, and would be great for a Scotland game.

Is the restaurant still open in the flying saucer on top of the bridge? Used to be a great spot for a nice meal with a view.

It would be great, but unfortunately Slovakia play all their games in Zilina, which is roughly half way between Bratislava and Krakow, as the stadium in Bratislava will not be ready for a few more years.

Noticed that recently. Zilina is a bit awkward to get to so probably not the best for an away trip. It's a shame the Tehelne Pole stadium is out of commission, saw quite a few games there (including Artmedia v Celtic :shocked: )

On the subject of disused stadiums I was back in Budapest last week and thought I'd check out the Puskas Stadion as I'd heard it was getting demolished and rebuilt. Very sad however to see it lying abandoned, concrete crumbling and overgrown with weeds. Was always a great place to experience a game. It seems Hungary will be using Ferencvaros' new stadium for the foreseeable future (which does look good but is a lot smaller)...

Edited by Toepoke

I believe work is well under way for the new stadium in Bratislava, but will not be open until the start of 2018, so will be next Euro campaign before they are back in Bratislava.

Zilina looks a nice place, but from searching around, looks a sod to get to (as said, roughly half way between Bratislava and Krakow + Katowice, with probably Brno being the closest major city)..... type of game we would take 2,000 to, but everyone would be spread out between 3/4 cites, all on the edge of a 100+ mile radius.

Edited by wanderer

I believe work is well under way for the new stadium in Bratislava, but will not be open until the start of 2018, so will be next Euro campaign before they are back in Bratislava.

Zilina looks a nice place, but from searching around, looks a sod to get to (as said, roughly half way between Bratislava and Krakow + Katowice, with probably Brno being the closest major city)..... type of game we would take 2,000 to, but everyone would be spread out between 3/4 cites, all on the edge of a 100+ mile radius.

Vienna?

Vienna?

Vienna is something like 40 miles further West than Bratislava......

Basically I think if Scotland played Slovakia, you would have a lot of TA in Krakow (due to the direct flights), maybe a couple of 100 in places like Brno and Katowice...and the rest split between Vienna and Bratislava.

Think would be a fantastic trip, but as said, everyone would just be spread out and match day before everyone meets up.

I'll take 2 seats on the bus please.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from Vienna on Sunday after a few days in Budapest.

Vienna city centre is beautiful but out with the centre is really shabby. Loads of bars and restaurants to chose from covering all tastes and price ranges.

Budapest is a much nicer and vibrant city and much cheaper.

Luckily I have 4 days there too.

• 4 weeks later...