Dordogne - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dordogne

EddardStark

Just spent a few days there are part of a tour of that area and the Languedoc. Have to say it is a stunning area of natural beauty as well of having lots of historical sites to visit. Recommend it for anyone looking for a short haul flight holiday. Albi and Carcassone are also great places to visit although the latter is a bit of a tourist trap.

Edited by EddardStark

I stayed in mobile home at campsite Eurocamp near Sarlat. Lovely town and some great places to visit around there. Fabulous experience canoeing on the Dordogne river with all the castles above as you go past.

I did some work there (mostly out of season) for Keycamp Holidays.

France has so many brilliant, beautiful and varied areas with the Dordogne being one of my favourites.

I did quite of few of those holidays when my kids were younger.

Favourite place in France would be Ares -on the Arcachon Basin near Bordeaux - jointly with the Brittany coast near Roscoff.

Worked near there too and Camping Les Viviers and had a fantastic time.

Nice but not the same variety as the Dordogne IMO.

Did you climb up the big Dune D'Arcachon ? Knackering !

Been there a number of times. Having never been as a kid we went on the recommendation of my Father in law who worked in the France travel business. Love it. Great food Fois Grais, Duck Confit, Duck breast. Great wine nearby (Bordeaux, St Emillion, etc.). Have stayed up near Brantome (Stunning river based town). Stayed in St Leon sur Visere, and somewhere Sarlat, again a great place to walk around. Montignac is up on a massive rock enscarpment and gives stunning views and the caves of Lascaux are worth going to.

Going to the Il de Re this year for a beach/camping holiday this year, very much looking forward to it.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

Been there a number of times. Having never been as a kid we went on the recommendation of my Father in law who worked in the France travel business. Love it. Great food Fois Grais, Duck Confit, Duck breast. Great wine nearby (Bordeaux, St Emillion, etc.). Have stayed up near Brantome (Stunning river based town). Stayed in St Leon sur Visere, and somewhere Sarlat, again a great place to walk around. Montignac is up on a massive rock enscarpment and gives stunning views and the caves of Lascaux are worth going to.

Going to the Il de Re this year for a beach/camping holiday this year, very much looking forward to it.

J

I just quoted you so I could read your post. :lol: