Motherwell Bottom Of Spfl - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only "confirmed" by Keith Jackson, so I'll not hold my breath.

Would appear to be a good signing if he's fit? As he's prone to putting on the beef when he's not playing.

Thread on hibs.net about it. Didn't give the source so not completely true.

Would be a good signing and can score goals which from what you are saying is something you need.

I heard a bit on sportsound before the game where they were talking about the appointments of Gary Teale and Barraclough, and thought with the exception of Richard Gordon who piped up in defence, it showed the bizarre insular nature of scottish football.

There's ceratinly a history of managers whose face didn't fit. While chick Young is championing the same old faces like Jimmy Calderwood.

The media have already started rounding on Barraclough, with players leaking stories to their mates....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31595657

Interesting perception.

Calderwood hasn't had a proper gig in Scottish football for almost 6 years, and there's a strong argument that his record with both Dunfermline and Aberdeen is one of the better ones amongst Scottish managers of the last 15 years.

He's been tainted by his cup failures at Pittodrie, and this seems somehow to have given people the idea that he was a general failure as a manager. He wasn't.

The other side of the coin is that clubs like Motherwell (and Hibs etc) are 'thinking outside the box', and being inspirational and innovative by bringing in young, untested managers like Barraclough and Fenlon who have absolutely no knowledge of, or pedigree in, the Scottish game.

This has been proven time and time again not be be 'inspired thinking', but a route to certain disaster.

Fans might not be excited when 'the same old faces' get appointed, but Motherwell made a huge mistake by trying something 'exciting' in appointing Barraclough....it wasn't the right time.

An untried, lower league Irish manager, or a guy who's been there and done it in Scotland, in Calderwood ?? Give me Jimmy every time.

Raher than bringing

The other side of the coin is that clubs like Motherwell (and Hibs etc) are 'thinking outside the box', and being inspirational and innovative by bringing in young, untested managers like Barraclough and Fenlon who have absolutely no knowledge of, or pedigree in, the Scottish game.

Motherwells main requirement when hiring a manager is knowledge of the lower leagues in enlgand which is their main transfer market.

Recent managers have included Brown, McGhee and McCall none of which would be considered young or untested.

Barraclough might well fit that description but his knowledge of lower english leagues will have been key to him getting the job

Raher than bringing

Motherwells main requirement when hiring a manager is knowledge of the lower leagues in enlgand which is their main transfer market.

Recent managers have included Brown, McGhee and McCall none of which would be considered young or untested.

Barraclough might well fit that description but his knowledge of lower english leagues will have been key to him getting the job

True but the standard of player he has brought in is questionable.

It must be hard to come into a losing team and turn it around but one draw in 8 games is taking the PISS.

Aye Rossy, you may well be right.

Perhaps it wasn't the best examples. I rate Calderwood and would have been fairly happy if he got the motherwell job.

Thought the 5 minutes of radio summed up the cliquey nature of scottish football though.

There are players and managers who get an incredibly easy ride from the media, because they are mates with the press and/or generous with their time.

It's been proven before that "outsiders" and new ideas aren't made very welcome, especially if they don't make an immediate impact.

It looked like it was happening with Deila at Celtic.

Aye Rossy, you may well be right.

Perhaps it wasn't the best examples. I rate Calderwood and would have been fairly happy if he got the motherwell job.

Thought the 5 minutes of radio summed up the cliquey nature of scottish football though.

There are players and managers who get an incredibly easy ride from the media, because they are mates with the press and/or generous with their time.

It's been proven before that "outsiders" and new ideas aren't made very welcome, especially if they don't make an immediate impact.

It looked like it was happening with Deila at Celtic.

Oh aye...there's no doubt at all that Scottish football is a clique. But it is a fairly small world and when you have the likes of Jeffries, McCall etc kicking around it for years then it's inevitable that they'll become mates with most of the media.

Calderwood fell into that category as well....although I still believe that he's had a bad press since leaving Pittodrie.

It's the nature of football these days. Very few managers get any 'time' to do their job. If there's not instant improvement or success, then they're being questioned in the media.

I still think though that under Motherwell's circumstances, Barraclough was always going to be a risk not worth taking.

I still think though that under Motherwell's circumstances, Barraclough was always going to be a risk not worth taking.

Yeah, possibly the right guy at the wrong time?

I'm fairly impressed with the direction we seem to be taking off the park, but slightly concerned at the direction we are going on it, that direction being to the championship!

Like I was saying on one of the other motherwell threads, he's brought in a fitness and conditioning guy that appears to have a good CV, he's revamping the scouting system and being given a lot of support (ie £££) that previous managers haven't had.

We seem to be repeating major blunders we've made in the past. Inexperienced manager getting better financial backing albeit now on a lesser scale. I'm thinking Alex McLiesh, Billy Davies and now Baraclough. Just seems too high risk without an experienced man at the helm.

Scott McDonald will only be a good signing for Motherwell if they have players setting up the chances for him. From what I've heard, Motherwell are lacking in creativity, which partly explains the dip in form of Sutton. If they start creating the opportunites, they should have the fire power to survive.

You're right.

Scott McDonald is slightly better equipped to create something from nothing than Sutton.

It's not really Suttons fault as he's getting no service, and isn't suited to the role of lone striker. He's s penalty box striker.

Pearson had a bit of creative spark at tannadice, so hopefully he's back tomorow.