Too Much Thinking! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Too Much Thinking!

tom1172

Posted this on The Tartan Army Group Facebook page earlier and thought I'd share it on here too.... Anyone else feeling the same way? :spin:

Just been sat looking at our group table & remaining games. My missus asked about our chances of qualifying. Half an hour later after going through various results, permutations and scenario's I'm done in, my brains fried and the thought of missing out again fills me with dread!

Its simple really, we have to win in Georgia. She did say to me "whats that thing you say, In Gord We Trust?"

Aye hen, that! [><]IN GORD WE TRUST[><]

Edited by tom1172

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think Georgia is a must win. I realise there could be twists and turns after that but not taking 3 points against them, given how average they are would be criminal.

As it happens I do think we will beat them and Gibraltar. If that is indeed the case and we still don't make it due to results against the World Champs and a very good Polabd side I could just about live with that.

Nine points needed, assuming Germany beat Poland we can still afford to lose to Germany but if we beat Poland we would go through on the 'head to head' rule even though Poland will probably have a better goal difference than us (I think)

What is the chances of automatically qualifying as the team in 3rd?

We have virtually no chance of being the best 3rd place team. If we get the results required to be better than all the other 3rd place teams, we will get 2nd in our group. if we are 3rd we will only get a play off spot.

I think Poland have already played their best football in the group , the break in the qualifiers will work against them, and will get pumped against Germany

If we dont win in Georgia we dont deserve to qualify - look at their last few results

Its as simple as that

If we win in Georgia, I really think that the momentum, and feel good factor, will carry into the Germany game and we will get a result (even if it's a draw) against them. On the other hand, if we don't win in Georgia, Germany becomes a must win. The nerves will then set in and we'll struggle badly. So, it's easy - just win in Georgia !!!!

Georgia will be tough I reckon but we should have the quality to get a win. Sick of hearing from people about reaching the playoffs the last few months. We should have the mentality of trying to top every qualifying group we are in, none of the whole 'there's a big team in our group looks like play offs again' attitude. A win in Georgia keeps us on course for 1st/2nd and automatic qualification simple as.

Georgia will be tough I reckon but we should have the quality to get a win. Sick of hearing from people about reaching the playoffs the last few months. We should have the mentality of trying to top every qualifying group we are in, none of the whole 'there's a big team in our group looks like play offs again' attitude. A win in Georgia keeps us on course for 1st/2nd and automatic qualification simple as.

I am liking that kind of attitude!

Classic rhetoric but at 4.59 next Friday, when the nerves trump the bravado, 90% of Scotland fans will be saying in their heads " I would take a play off spot right now"

Posted this on The Tartan Army Group Facebook page earlier and thought I'd share it on here too.... Anyone else feeling the same way? :spin:

Just been sat looking at our group table & remaining games. My missus asked about our chances of qualifying. Half an hour later after going through various results, permutations and scenario's I'm done in, my brains fried and the thought of missing out again fills me with dread!

Its simple really, we have to win in Georgia. She did say to me "whats that thing you say, In Gord We Trust?"

Aye hen, that! [><]IN GORD WE TRUST[><]

Ive been saying that for months mate the old the next game is the biggest really applies here...

This game will show if we qualify or not by the performance a good one as I expect or beat then we back to square one in my opinion.

Fully see a win here regardless of qualification or not they are there for the beaten.

ps

Have you got your bets on yet ??

11/10 gone now looking at evs less on day

Classic rhetoric but at 4.59 next Friday, when the nerves trump the bravado, 90% of Scotland fans will be saying in their heads " I would take a play off spot right now"

Of course.

This is how I see it. If we lose (perish the thought) then count us out of even the play-offs. A draw and I'd say a play-off spot is still there for the taking but forget automatic qualification. A win and I'd say a play-off is virtually in the bag (at bare minimum) and automatic qualification is a small step closer.

As for what scotsgary says - even with a defeat I wouldn't say it puts us back at square one. Square one is where we were under Levein and even a loss in Georgia wouldn't knock us all the way back there.

Of course.

This is how I see it. If we lose (perish the thought) then count us out of even the play-offs. A draw and I'd say a play-off spot is still there for the taking but forget automatic qualification. A win and I'd say a play-off is virtually in the bag (at bare minimum) and automatic qualification is a small step closer.

As for what scotsgary says - even with a defeat I wouldn't say it puts us back at square one. Square one is where we were under Levein and even a loss in Georgia wouldn't knock us all the way back there.

I meant square one for qualifying a different meaning here I think ?

I think we can get 2nd spot if needed we can beat Poland at home on our day. But just can't see us winning both of Germany and Poland at home......following Scotland we aren't that good or lucky haha :) . Anything other than a win and the playoff is our best hope!!!

I think we can get 2nd spot if needed we can beat Poland at home on our day. But just can't see us winning both of Germany and Poland at home......following Scotland we aren't that good or lucky haha :) . Anything other than a win and the playoff is our best hope!!!

Beat Georgia

Beat Poland

We finish second no need look any further my friend simple as that.

Of course.

That's almost how I see it, except that even if we lose to Georgia, I think we would still have a decent chance of a play off spot.

That's almost how I see it, except that even if we lose to Georgia, I think we would still have a decent chance of a play off spot.

Aye, if we lose in Georgia then the Irish lose to Germany and Poland we'd only need 4 points from the last 3 games to get 3rd.

Edited by Toepoke