Depression - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably more widespread after the referendum result.

Indeed!! I really struggled with that. nothing like the really bad time I had but boy it hit me hard,

I did speak to a girl who was on disability benefits before the vote who said it was a matter of life and death to her and I do worry about her and others in her boat

Thanks for your encouraging words and advice . Went to doctors earlier in this evening and prescribed different medication .

You have done the right thing. the meds could take at least a couple of weeks before you notice any improvement so please don't stop taking them if u feel they are not working fast enough. the whole process takes time but you will get through it.

I had a bad depressive episode seven years ago, on medication for a year. Help is there and the drugs worked for me.

Other things that work for me

1. Eating better, including cooking

2. Exercise

3. Drinking less - I often have depressive feelings the morning after a night on the pish. Let's face it, depression messes with your brain chemistry. So does booze- that's why we drink it. So mixing the two is going to screw you up.

Most important thing is to realise it's a physical illness, an imbalance of brain chemistry. It's not anything you've done wrong.

That's when you met me. :ph34r:

Remind me, Donald... Weren't you between jobs at the time?

You seemed to be really enjoying the itinerary you had set up from yourself on the left coast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the Grace of God I've never experienced anything even remotely close to depression.

I've been fortunate to have always been happy and content.

My Christian walk (now 8 1/2 years on) has taken that to a new level.

With Jesus in my heart, I honestly can't think of anything that would get me down.

Thanks for your encouraging words and advice . Went to doctors earlier in this evening and prescribed different medication .

God Bless you, Naranjito. We are all pulling for you. YOU ARE LOVED! :ok:

And God Bless all who have contributed to this thread so positively and candidly from their own experiences.

Asking for help is the first and most important step to recovery. There's excellent advice here. Hope the original poster feels a turnaround soon. Sometimes just the relief of knowing your not alone makes all the difference.

I'd just like to add that if anyone is prescribed mitrazapine then make sure you have someone with you. I took 2 pills (over 2 days) and thought I was ok. 'Woke up' a week later to find that I had been in an almost comatose state but In my head I'd been functioning normally. Always let someone know if you're taking new medication - for any condition.

I'd just like to add that if anyone is prescribed mitrazapine then make sure you have someone with you. I took 2 pills (over 2 days) and thought I was ok. 'Woke up' a week later to find that I had been in an almost comatose state but In my head I'd been functioning normally. Always let someone know if you're taking new medication - for any condition.

as a side effect, it can also cause massive weight gain, so it is important to eat healthy and exercise. ...

as a side effect, it can also cause massive weight gain, so it is important to eat healthy and exercise. ...

Yeah that happened too in terms of just wanting to eat all the time. I woke up with family around me (thankfully) and I thought I'd been eating constantly for a week. In actual fact I'd barely moved in that time. I had a very severe reaction to it. I'm just saying proceed with extreme caution.

Yeah that happened too in terms of just wanting to eat all the time. I woke up with family around me (thankfully) and I thought I'd been eating constantly for a week. In actual fact I'd barely moved in that time. I had a very severe reaction to it. I'm just saying proceed with extreme caution.

There's a risk of adverse effects with many anti depressants. It's different for everyone and you are offering extremely wise advice. My brother and I have both been prescribed the same tablets in the past and while he wasn't tolerant to venelafaxine, he thrived on cetraline and vice versa. Always ensure at least one person knows what you are embarking - apart from your G. P.

There's a risk of adverse effects with many anti depressants. It's different for everyone and you are offering extremely wise advice. My brother and I have both been prescribed the same tablets in the past and while he wasn't tolerant to venelafaxine, he thrived on cetraline and vice versa. Always ensure at least one person knows what you are embarking - apart from your G. P.

:ok: simple message here for medication is just let someone know.

• 2 weeks later...

I did speak to a girl who was on disability benefits before the vote who said it was a matter of life and death to her and I do worry about her and others in her boat

I'm not on disability benefits, but if I had to pay for the four daily prescription drugs I'm on at the moment (only one for depression, the other three are drink-related) I'd be seriously skint.

It is good to see mental health issues being discussed. It is more open now but still a long way to go. When I worked on the wards and was showing students round I used to point out that you never see any get well soon cards in the ward.People just didn't consider it an illness that can happen to any one like any other illness.

It is good to see mental health issues being discussed. It is more open now but still a long way to go. When I worked on the wards and was showing students round I used to point out that you never see any get well soon cards in the ward.People just didn't consider it an illness that can happen to any one like any other illness.

I work on the wards now and that's a really interesting point; thinking about it I can count on one hand how many times I've seen flowers or cards in a couple of years.

I got one from my work - and flowers. It was really nice :)

I'm not on disability benefits, but if I had to pay for the four daily prescription drugs I'm on at the moment (only one for depression, the other three are drink-related) I'd be seriously skint.

I think the Scottish government deserves a lot of credit for scrapping prescription charges.

In England I think you can get your prescriptions for free if you are on disability benefits.

It's the same with visiting hours. General hospital patients receive a wide range of family and friends, but psychiatric patients usually only receive the closest family members, and some of them often look embarrassed to there. Stigma is def reducing, but we still have a way to go until it becomes accepted on a par with physical illness.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I've been struggling again recently. Trying to do the right tHings to help myself but finding it very hard. The self loathing is back with a vengeance and I've had some really difficult periods recently.

Not as bad as I was seven or eight years ago but, finding things difficult at the moment.