Finding A New Job - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Finding A New Job

I moved jobs/company last February, was very bored at last role, could do the job in a couple of hours a day, assistants did most of my job for me. My day pretty much consisted of two hours work then buzzfeed or youtube.

I utterly despise my new job, and hold my employers in absolute utter contempt, and its pretty much the biggest mistake of my life. I go in each day and sit in my office looking suicidal, and thats a good day.

Cove, your current job may be boring, but moving isnt always a good thing, you might need to wait until the right opportunity comes up, its better waiting than jumping too quick.

I've been trying to escape this job for four years now, so I certainly don't think this is too quick!

The job I'm in, I wouldn't even have applied for had I not been unemployed at the time I started here, so I knew I'd get bored & be wasted in it. Just really didn't think that over six years later I'd still be stuck in this role with what seems like absolutely zero prospects of improving my situation either.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about getting the same job as you do now, at a company that can offer a structured path to the role you want?

Might mean another 1-2 years of the same stuff before you move to the new role, but if you're going to be doing that anyway at the current place...

As far as I can see, nowhere seems to be offering a path to where I want to go. Most 'similar' level jobs to the one I'm currently in that I've seen advertised too are even more limited than my current one, so I really think a move like that would see my head explode.

Essentially in terms of the level of role I'm in, they can easily find plenty of schoo leaver types to come in and work much cheaper if they so wish and for roles above, I'm getting killed by other folk who are currently on the market and a lack of jobs in the first place.

Why do you think you aren't getting further than your CV being sent in? Does your CV need improving? Are you missing any skills that would help you take the next step and can you do anything to get these skills?

I know I'm weak on experience for the roles I'm interested in.

Without actually getting a new job there's unfortunately nothing I can do to boost my experience.

At the moment with all the oil companies shedding staff, there are loads of folk who can go in and do these jobs entirely from day one, so that, coupled with the fact there are not all that many jobs available anyway, are killing me.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

There's been exceptionally few jobs that I've seen advertised (which would actually be things I could do) that are being directly recruited by the companies themselves. In the last 12 months or so, there's maybe been 5 or 6 that have asked for CV's in application and I've been interviewed for two of those.

Almost everything seems to go through recruitment agencies and therefore the CV would be at the mercy of them.

Essentially when I do get interviewed, any job specific questions utterly kill me on the lack of experience front.

As for looking for other things to do as part of my role, that's not at all possible unfortunately.

Aye, getting your CV onto the desk of the person who matters is not easy. Have you tried the direct approach? Do some investigating into a company to find out who will be the person somebody in your line of work would report to. Reception staff can be a good starting point. They usually know everybody. Then try to contact them directly. A lot of them will just ignore you but you might just find one who will admire your tenacity.

Not really, but there is literally nothing that can possibly be added to my role that hasn't already been over the time I've been here.

Nothing has ever been filled internally and I know from someone much higher up than my boss that nothing is likely to come up in the near future either.

Always worth having the conversation. What's the worst that can happen? There are always changes going on at every company, so if you get that lodged into bosses' minds, then you may be asked to do something different. It can't leave you in any worse position than you're in now (unless you base the conversation around 'ya useless ####s, this job's shite, why don't you all off' - that's not the way to handle it) so it's no lose.

Always worth having the conversation. What's the worst that can happen? There are always changes going on at every company, so if you get that lodged into bosses' minds, then you may be asked to do something different. It can't leave you in any worse position than you're in now (unless you base the conversation around 'ya useless badgers, this job's shite, why don't you all badger off' - that's not the way to handle it) so it's no lose.

Unfortunately there's nothing that he can add/change to my role that has not already been done short of swapping jobs with me and given my views on his boss, there is no way I'd entertain that idea!

Basically the organisation I work for has no scope for growth internally, hence the tiny number of positions that have cropped up in my time here as staff turnover in the posts I would be looking at are minimal, albeit they don't seem to wish to encourage moving people around internally.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

I utterly despise my new job, and hold my employers in absolute utter contempt, and its pretty much the biggest mistake of my life. I go in each day and sit in my office looking suicidal, and thats a good day.

Are you Nicola Sturgeon's PA? ?

maybe you should take contracting as you said

I've been with current Oil Company coming on 12 years, and 1st year was contract/temporary

its effectively a long term interview, and if yuo do ok they keep you on rather than go out looking to the market and having to wait on folk resiging etc etc

you also need to get more experience to align with your professional exams

as i said - i seen folk who got ACCA/CIMA but they were not progressign their experience to align with their qualifications

maybe you should take contracting as you said

I've been with current Oil Company coming on 12 years, and 1st year was contract/temporary

its effectively a long term interview, and if yuo do ok they keep you on rather than go out looking to the market and having to wait on folk resiging etc etc

you also need to get more experience to align with your professional exams

as i said - i seen folk who got ACCA/CIMA but they were not progressign their experience to align with their qualifications

Yep.

It's a pretty horrendous vicious circle that I seem to be caught in just now.

Ive been unemployed 1 week and its driving me mental, first time in 20 years! Anyone need a french polisher?

Was made redundant a few years ago and was also unemployed for one week. Drove me nuts and your day is filled with crap, like running errands, watching kids, attending job shop for employment seekers allowance. Got a start date on a job during that week and now pernament.

I hope you find something soon. :ok:

Speak to your employer see if they would fund/part fund your training or exams.

Anything you could help with targeting your ideal role with the free time you have in your current role?

On linkedin? Set up accurate skills for your target role, some decent roles shown, although geography of roles not always great.

Connect with agency people, you see ads quickly then when they post them.

Any mentors at your work or groups in your local area! Often who rather than what you know.

Tried popping in past one or two of the agencies you think are any good.

Me?

Unfortunately not.

I'm slowly working through some professional exams, although as I'm self-funding it's taking a bit of time as they are not exactly cheap.

My best suggestion when you said you were in accounting was to ask about doing professional exams.

Will your employer not help?

Have you considered a change of career? The police are letting anyone in these days and it can be a good career.

Speak to your employer see if they would fund/part fund your training or exams.

Anything you could help with targeting your ideal role with the free time you have in your current role?

On linkedin? Set up accurate skills for your target role, some decent roles shown, although geography of roles not always great.

Connect with agency people, you see ads quickly then when they post them.

Any mentors at your work or groups in your local area! Often who rather than what you know.

Tried popping in past one or two of the agencies you think are any good.

They might fund it, but given there are never any opportunities to progress internally, I'd rather not have them fund it as that would lead to having give them money back should I ever manage to escape.

In terms of developing in terms of what I need to move on within the free time I have, that is all done by other folk here and nothing to do with our team so that's not an option either.

I've been to see multiple agencies and am in regular contact with them via email, things just seem horrendously quiet now and there are more fully/overly experienced folk looking for jobs than there are jobs available at the moment it seems.

My best suggestion when you said you were in accounting was to ask about doing professional exams.

Will your employer not help?

Have you considered a change of career? The police are letting anyone in these days and it can be a good career.

Career change? Really not sure what else I could do to be honest. Not really good at much else.

As for the Police, I know plenty of people who have done that job, and a few who currently do it and there is no chance I'd fancy it at all.