Who Voted Yes & No - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a friend who is part of a Greek expat community in Edinburgh (or at least was a part when he was still there...) and he told me that they were all voting no. The only thing they really cared about were their jobs and they were ALL being told they'd lose them. I guess this was the main factor for a lot of the foreign community.

Aside from what the Liecord has reported, I had head that a lot of foreign immigrants from the former Communist bloc such as Poland and Lithuania had voted no. Always felt that to be odd considering what these people had to go through to finally gain their freedom in their homeland. Perhaps scared by the lies and propaganda spouted by BT and MSM?

BT went big on the 'you'll be kicked out the EU'.

Most immigrants in Edinburgh are in middle class jobs, doing alright, have no emotional attachment to Scotland or UK as far as politics goes. It only takes one scare story for them to think 'not worth the risk' especially when so many of their British colleagues will be reinforcing the no message (Edinburgh nawbags).

Of course the biggest risk of leaving the EU is UKIP persuading the Tories to hold a EU referendum, although that does seem less likely than it did a year ago, UKIP are polling a lot lower.

Aye, if only Scots had voted it would have been an AYE.. but we define Scots as those who live and work here, And IMO thats how it should be.

Although i think the residency should have been 3 maybe 5 years, before you got to vote,

I moved up to Scotland so I could vote yes and was born in England!

Of course the biggest risk of leaving the EU is UKIP persuading the Tories to hold a EU referendum, although that does seem less likely than it did a year ago, UKIP are polling a lot lower.

The Tories have promised an referendum on EU membership if they are in power. No need for UKIP.

If this poll is anywhere near accurate, the most encouraging thing is that the majority of younger people voted Yes.

That can only be good news for the 2nd referendum.

If we get another Referendum!

If we get another Referendum!

It's just a case of when not if. The only thing that's going to stop it is a monumental crash in SNP support - and the SNP have probably the most solid political support in the Western World right now. Sturgeon and Salmond would need to do something catastrophic to undermine that support in the next few years, over which support for independence will be consolidated.

The SNP now just have to play a waiting game. The spotlight is now on the Union. People are not talking so much about independence like they did during the referendum - that's been done. It's now about the Union - what is it doing for us, is this as good as it gets, is Labour really all that we thought it was, why are putting up with Tories we don't elect? The Union escaped scrutiny in the referendum, but it's turn has now come and it won't be winning many friends.

I’d be interested in the split between Scottish & Non-Scottish born in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire, certainly enough people from rUK and other parts of the world living here. I think that would partly explain the embarrassing percentages we returned. I know there’s a perception that we’re “I’m alright Jacks” but all my mates who work in Oil & Gas voted Yes and when discussing the result on the Saturday we barely knew any No voters – silent majority right enough!!

Anyway, as a 1st time poster, I’d like to thank everyone on here who put in a shift for the Yes campaign and those who convinced me the polls were looking good, as the day approached I actually began to believe it could happen! When I read stories like this I know the immediate devastation of the result hasn’t quite left me yet.

It saddens me that my Dad won’t live to see it and, at 42, I doubt I will either now.

As I've said before the Yes proportion is not bad going from rUK citizens - a 25% or 30% Yes is the traditional historic supposed level of independence support - that's a reasonable amount who'd be cutting themselves off from their homeland

The alternative would be allowing Scots outwith Scotland to vote, and from what I've seen the staunchest anti-separationist Scots are those living south of the border who would see their families torn apart etc

The Tories have promised an referendum on EU membership if they are in power. No need for UKIP.

Seriously? Feck.

The SNP now just have to play a waiting game. The spotlight is now on the Union. People are not talking so much about independence like they did during the referendum - that's been done. It's now about the Union - what is it doing for us, is this as good as it gets, is Labour really all that we thought it was, why are putting up with Tories we don't elect? The Union escaped scrutiny in the referendum, but it's turn has now come and it won't be winning many friends.

Good point :ok:

It saddens me that my Dad won’t live to see it and, at 42, I doubt I will either now.

You live in Aberdeenshire, no Calton. Right now, it's hard to see the union lasting another 20 years.

Seriously? Feck.

Yeah, Cameron repeated last night that "the only way to get a referendum on EU membership is for him to be PM". Although he did make clear he would campaign for a No vote.

Saw this poll on Scotland Tonight earlier....

Just 3% of No voters were swayed by The Vow it says...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/scotland-blog/2015/mar/26/the-vow-was-not-a-decisive-factor-in-scots-voting-no-to-indepedence

The vow is now so discredited that no one will say that was the reason they voted No. 3% my arse. It was the promise of more powers (devo max) that did it.

I’d be interested in the split between Scottish & Non-Scottish born in Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire, certainly enough people from rUK and other parts of the world living here. I think that would partly explain the embarrassing percentages we returned. I know there’s a perception that we’re “I’m alright Jacks” but all my mates who work in Oil & Gas voted Yes and when discussing the result on the Saturday we barely knew any No voters – silent majority right enough!!

Anyway, as a 1st time poster, I’d like to thank everyone on here who put in a shift for the Yes campaign and those who convinced me the polls were looking good, as the day approached I actually began to believe it could happen! When I read stories like this I know the immediate devastation of the result hasn’t quite left me yet.

Welcome to the board and keep the faith. We are following the same linear line as Quebec, however our first vote was higher for Yes so fingers crossed. We will have another vote within 10 years.

Cameron would need either an overall majority of Tories or a coalition of Tories and UKIP to get a referendum, both of which seem unlikely.

That of course assumes that the Fibbers don't have enough MPs to form a coalition with the Tories or that if they do they don't back down on their word about not supporting a referendum...

Edited by neilser

The vow is now so discredited that no one will say that was the reason they voted No. 3% my arse. It was the promise of more powers (devo max) that did it.

I can only speak for my own experiences but I know absolutely nobody who switched to No in the final days. The Nos I know :-)) were unflinching in their opinion from a long way out...

There was an article the other day in the Herald about the voting in Argyle and Bute.When they counted all those who voted at the polling stations and those who did not vote and the postal votes the finding was that the numbers came to more than 100% of the electorate. How can that be?

You just need to look at any polls before the referendum where it showed that a Devo Max option would have won handsomely.

I don't think you could compare a 3 option referendum with a straight Yes/No. The parameters are so different.

The fact is the result was within a margin of error of what the polls were suggesting on average in the run up. Going by the survey The Vow did sway 3.4% of No votes which would have made the result 53%:47%, again very close to what the polls had been prior to the last week...

I think a lot of this depends on when the field work for this survey was done.

If it was done in the immediate aftermath of the referendum, by which I mean a couple of weeks then I would say fair enough to an extent. However given how the vow has unravelled and how it's been represented then I'd imagine anyone who voted No I'm that basis would feel pretty stupid and wouldn't be likely to admit to it, especially given that it would most likely be soft Yesses that the Vow gave a cop out to.

When asked why they voted No, they are probably going to go back to the reasons why they were unsure, e.g. The economy, sense of Britishness, whatever. I think thats fair enough and it's not people being disingenuous but it does underplay the impact of the vow.