Relationship With Cars - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Relationship With Cars

I've only ever driven a BMW once and that was in Taiwan about 11 years ago. It was one of the top of the range 7 series ones and I had to drive as the woman who owned it was still pished from the party we had been at.

As soon as I sat in the drivers seat I felt more of a flower pot than I already am, which I didn't think was possible. My superiority complex went through the roof and I was nudging they wee motorcycles off my path left, right and centre. I was delighted to get out the thing.

I've been in better S class Mercs and never felt the same ness.

Edited by scoobydoo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more those that drive them that are cocks rather than the cars themselves

It's a shame that BMW's instil that stereotype as they are cracking cars - superior than the Audi

I feel it too when i see someone in one but i'd still like one so it must be a jealousy thing - not that i couldnt afford one, just that as someone else said, i couldnt justify paying that sort of money for one and the running costs/expensive wear & tear bills that come with it

I also find it odd that while BMW & Audi have that effect on those that dont drive them, Mercedes Benz dont

All that said i've been thinking of getting a second hand Merc or BMW later on in the year :-))

Sorry should have added an 's.

Of course there must be some decent bmw and Audi drivers and one day I'm sure I'll meet them.

Cars that I'd never buy but have driven and liked are Mercedes and Alfa Romeo. Car I'd love to have driven and one day hope to is a Jaguar XJS . Years ago I got a lift to my job in Keswick in one and it was beautiful.

Why do people have real affection for their cars? Nearly burst into tears this morning as my Sedona of 10 years got uplifted by the scrappy. Ridiculous to have emotion for a piece of metal, but felt like a real loss.

Farewell trusty steed!

We lived in India for a few years and I drove about in an old Land Rover Discovery. Loved that car despite everything under the sun going wrong with it - electric windows wouldn't go back up in monsoon, second gear was a struggle to go into, battery kept going flat etc. at the same time I drove to Goa and loads of places in it without any problem. Must have been just City driving the car didn't like. Anyway, as with you, was really sad when leaving the car behind...........

I drove a 1 litre Corsa and a Peugeot 206 for years, needless to say I'm not a car person.

I drive a 1 litre corsa now. It's all I could get insurance for at the time and now I can't be arsed changing it.

He's called Clive.

I'm not a car person at all either.

Warranty is up on mine in September, so I'll probably punt it to WBAC, TCB or WWAC - will miss it when it goes but the VAG 180PS twin-charge / DSG combo is just too risky without a warranty - if something goes wrong it would have the potential to be very painful.

I'm not a Ford fan but I am thinking about a Fiesta ST with the Mountune upgrade; however, I'm really a bit old for one of those (plus everyone and their auntie seems to have one - my cars tend to be leftfield). I've always fancied a MKV R32, so if I could pick up a one / two (max) owner example with under 50,000 I'd be tempted - love the sound of a big n/a engine.

Warranty is up on mine in September, so I'll probably punt it to WBAC, TCB or WWAC - will miss it when it goes but the VAG 180PS twin-charge / DSG combo is just too risky without a warranty - if something goes wrong it would have the potential to be very painful.

I'm not a Ford fan but I am thinking about a Fiesta ST with the Mountune upgrade; however, I'm really a bit old for one of those (plus everyone and their auntie seems to have one - my cars tend to be leftfield). I've always fancied a MKV R32, so if I could pick up a one / two (max) owner example with under 50,000 I'd be tempted - love the sound of a big n/a engine.

Whit? :blink::lol:

Did you punch a wee Irish guy?

I give all my cars names, my 4x4 is called "Wee Mag" 99k miles so far and off road twice a day, she's great for carrying and pulling stuff

My BMW M5 is called "Mark" he only gets out once a month and is the best car I've ever driven. The 5 litre V10 engine is a bit thirsty and totally impracticable but when I start it up, I get out and put my hands on the bonnet and feel and listen to the engine. I know its a bit pervy but I love it.

Our Merc 220 AMG is a great car with a good diesel engine and gear box she's called "Merc".

My Bike is a 1986 750 Honda CBX he's called Cee Bee.

Notice some of my motors are ladies others are blokes its how I feel they drive, gently smooth relaxing for ladies and the total opposite for blokes

M5 :wub:

I don't know if you've driven or been in one Charlie but I've got the last series of the V10, the start set up is a sequence that takes about a minute to fire it up and dialled a gear setting in but its quicker if you speak to it then it does it for you.

0 to 60 in the length of the car, 0 to 155mph only in germany ;-)

I can't work the sound system though I'm too busy flapping paddles and listening to the engine

"The M5 costs less to run than the 4x4" WTF ?

Edited by DonnyMac

I also find it odd that while BMW & Audi have that effect on those that dont drive them, Mercedes Benz dont

That's because people know their place. Mercedes drivers are clearly superior to the rest of us so we don't mind them. Audi and BMW drivers are just people like us who are getting too big for their boots, and we hate them for it.

I'm not really a car person, but always feel a bit sad when I get my car all clean to sell or send back, mostly sad that I never kept it looking that good when I was actually driving it.

As someone who's just gone from an Audi to a BMW, I'm not sure my opinion is wanted?

:(

(Autocorrect tried to change my first sentence to "I'm not really a cat person" which is also accurate, I'm allergic for starters)

That's because people know their place. Mercedes drivers are clearly superior to the rest of us so we don't mind them. Audi and BMW drivers are just people like us who are getting too big for their boots, and we hate them for it.

:-))

As someone who.drives cars at work and have drove a fair number over the last year and half i can say that if you want lasting quality theb BMW and Audi are top of the list. Also VWs seem to last fairly well. Cars that i will never ever ever buy would be Puegeots and Citreons, absolutley horendous vehicles.

Im not overly into cars, i like one that looks good and drives well but wouldnt spend time doing them up or modifying them. Better transport and more reliable than buses or trains.

Edit.to add, i hate Mercs with a passion. Indicators and windae wipers on the same stick is a pain in the hole. Nit just that, they just arent as pleasent to drive.

Edited by Kirk

As someone who.drives cars at work and have drove a fair number over the last year and half i can say that if you want lasting quality theb BMW and Audi are top of the list. Also VWs seem to last fairly well. Cars that i will never ever ever buy would be Puegeots and Citreons, absolutley horendous vehicles.

Im not overly into cars, i like one that looks good and drives well but wouldnt spend time doing them up or modifying them. Better transport and more reliable than buses or trains.

Edit.to add, i hate Mercs with a passion. Indicators and windae wipers on the same stick is a pain in the hole. Nit just that, they just arent as pleasent to drive.

Pash!

You're obviously driving old sheds. :D:D

I've got an Audi A3 diesel for the long drives I do for work and it's a superb car. The Mrs drives our Mercedes C Class coupe AMG most of the time as it is a complete non starter for doing 30-40k a year. The SKyline R33 is all mine though. Will destroy most cars for speed and acceleration.

We've a 13 year old Civic and an 11 year old Mondeo. Both still drive great despite a combined mileage that would reach the moon.

The thought of having cars like that when I started driving would've been bonkers. Five years if you were lucky before they rusted to bits...

Do people behave differently towards different cars on the road - in terms of couresy and respect?

The gimps that drive BMW's who forget all rules of the road the second they step into one. Auld folk that drive Volvo's, Jaguars, Qashqai's and recently Dacia's have no idea what is going on round about them. Courier drivers are lunatics as well.