Whiskey - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't be disappointed with Bowmore.

You will be when you realise their owners gave a six figure sum to Better Together!!

TT

TartanJon put me on to this one.

Said it was his favourite way to relax after a hard days toil. Two large stiff ones and he was ready for anything!!

blck_cck.jpg

:ok:

TT

Arran whiskies are nice.

I'm also a big fan of Ardbeg (making my first ever trip to Islay in the summer & looking forward to the distillery tour). If you want to find out if you like peaty whiskies, that's the way to do it.

The Bowmore tour's first class. Ended up utterly rubbered on several very fine samples :lol:

Arran whiskies are nice.

I'm also a big fan of Ardbeg (making my first ever trip to Islay in the summer & looking forward to the distillery tour). If you want to find out if you like peaty whiskies, that's the way to do it.

I had a bottle of 10-year-old Arran (actually, I'm not sure how old it was!) that my grandfather gave me - didn't start drinking it until a good number of years after he had passed away - it was lovely stuff.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I had a bottle of 10-year-old Arran (actually, I'm not sure how old it was!) that my grandfather gave me - didn't start drinking it until a good number of years after he had passed away - it was lovely stuff.

I'm a fan definitely. The distillery tour is good as well & interesting to compare with the older places.

Old Pultney

Cragganmore

Auchentoshan

In my opinion Old Pultney has a very distinctive flavour and is maybe not one of the best to start out with. I think it's a bit of an acquired taste and might put folk off if it's one of the first ones they try. Just my opinion, everybody's tastes are different.

In my opinion Old Pultney has a very distinctive flavour and is maybe not one of the best to start out with. I think it's a bit of an acquired taste and might put folk off if it's one of the first ones they try. Just my opinion, everybody's tastes are different.

Agree about Old Pultney - which has a slightly sour and sharpness/saltiness which may not sit well on a palate new to whisky. If you want to try the Islay malts I'd go for Bruichladdich (not as smokey/peaty as other malts from the Island; and they distill the fantastic Botanist gin).

My pick for cutting your teeth would be Aberlour, Oban or best of all, and in the glass beside me now, Tobermory. If you find Scotch a little harsh, try a good bourbon eg Knob Creek

Enjoy - slainte

Arran whiskies are nice.

I went to Islay over the New Year period and they were all shut. One of life's most disappointing experiences!