Whiskey - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I think someone on the thread made a comment that they used to hate peaty whiskies but changed over time & that's the same with me.I had a Laphroaig years ago & could hardly finish it. However (after reading a previous thread on here which mentioned Ardbeg) I decided to give it a go one night when I was on Skye (staying the night at the Stein Inn) & loved it. I've re-tried Laphroaig since & likewise find I enjoy it much more.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone on the thread made a comment that they used to hate peaty whiskies but changed over time & that's the same with me.I had a Laphroaig years ago & could hardly finish it. However (after reading a previous thread on here which mentioned Ardbeg) I decided to give it a go one night when I was on Skye (staying the night at the Stein Inn) & loved it. I've re-tried Laphroaig since & likewise find I enjoy it much more.

Laphroaig was actually the whisky I got started on when I was about 15 (my auld man finally forgot to lock the drinks cabinet one night :lol: ) and for years afterwards whenever I had a dram it was Laphroaig. In hindsight, I never really liked it that much, I just thought I was nails for being able to stomach it. Over the years I moved more towards smoother, sweeter whiskys like Macallan and I'm filling my boots now that I live 15 minutes from the Speyside Whisky Trail.

Laphroaig was actually the whisky I got started on when I was about 15 (my auld man finally forgot to lock the drinks cabinet one night :lol: ) and for years afterwards whenever I had a dram it was Laphroaig. In hindsight, I never really liked it that much, I just thought I was nails for being able to stomach it. Over the years I moved more towards smoother, sweeter whiskys like Macallan and I'm filling my boots now that I live 15 minutes from the Speyside Whisky Trail.

Now I'll grant you that's a plus point for being Scottish. I had to settle for turning up bevvied at school from cheap vodka mixed with orange cordial.

I had to settle for turning up bevvied at school from cheap vodka mixed with orange cordial.

I went though a wee spell of drinking 'normal' vodka (Smirnoff basically) so you can imagine my excitement when a mate and me arranged to visit his brother in Warsaw. 2 weeks drinking with Poles was enough to put me off voddy for life :barf::lol:

Dalwhinie is a good starter. Mcallan gold or any of the Arran ones are also very easy going.

.old pultney is defos not a starter.

Ive got a bottle of this waiting for a special occasion, was going to be the referendum but yea.

ofhttps://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glen-garioch/glen-garioch-25-year-old-1986-old-malt-cask-douglas-laing-whisky/#!/product/whiskies/glen-garioch/glen-garioch-25-year-old-1986-old-malt-cask-douglas-laing-whisky/

Following on from the Japanese whisky chat, it might have been this one that won the awards; https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/nikka-taketsuru-17-year-old-whiskey/

Me and the mrs tried yamazaki and hakushu in a bar in Sydney. One was peaty like a good west coast Scottish whisky (but not as much so as a Laphroaig etc) and the other (hakushu iirc) similar but with a very sweet finish and nice indeed.

Currently in Kyoto and very tempted to bring a bottle of something home with us as they seem very reasonably priced compared to uk prices. Any special bottles worth buying or recommendations for Japanese whiskies?

I only got in to whisky a few years ago and found Jura Origin a good starter. Still enjoy it. Tend to treat myself on the way back from hols and buy a different bottle. Initially I couldn't stand peaty ones but found recently having laphroig, talisker and a few others that it's equally as palatable now.

Current favourite is probably Old Pulteney or Bruichladdich

Never tried one but quite fancy trying some Japanese whisky.

Edited by McToot

Guest daslondon

Can I redeem myself by saying that I also had a few glasses of Penderryn Welsh whisky last summer & it was horrible?

I tried this last year too but actually quite liked it....

Bought a bottle of that Haig Club a few days ago going through the airport, tasted it tonight for the first time.

Well, that was a waste of money. Very bland stuff. Maybe that's the selling point. Aching weel, the bottle's in the drinks cabinet to impress eejits.

Back to the Aultmore from Buckie tonight. Lovely.

Bought a bottle of that Haig Club a few days ago going through the airport, tasted it tonight for the first time.

Well, that was a waste of money. Very bland stuff. Maybe that's the selling point. Aching weel, the bottle's in the drinks cabinet to impress eejits.

Whisky advertised by Beckham is enough to tell you not yo buy it.

Guest flumax

is not bad, but the good people of the friendly town my disagree with you about it's origin

Guest flumax

Just on my second glass of Laphroaig QA Cask of the evening. Seaweed & iodine: bliss.

You should try Laphroaig cask 18 yo 1989 bottled. Marvelous

OK folks I am finally going to start getting into whisky. I finally found a whisky I enjoyed but would like to try others of the same style. I love strathisla and tried the isle of jura origin which was nice. Tried the next jura up the scale but found it too peaty? For me. So whisky connoisseurs what should I be looking to try next

Edited for typo pity I can't fix the title

I feel the same about the gowf. I am a St Andrews boy after all....

Following on from the Japanese whisky chat, it might have been this one that won the awards; https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/nikka-taketsuru-17-year-old-whiskey/

Me and the mrs tried yamazaki and hakushu in a bar in Sydney. One was peaty like a good west coast Scottish whisky (but not as much so as a Laphroaig etc) and the other (hakushu iirc) similar but with a very sweet finish and nice indeed.

Currently in Kyoto and very tempted to bring a bottle of something home with us as they seem very reasonably priced compared to uk prices. Any special bottles worth buying or recommendations for Japanese whiskies?

Hibiki 12yo - a lovely single malt with a fruit/plum flavour. There's also a 17yo expression but it's an expensive alternative (at least it is to buy it here).

Hibiki 12yo - a lovely single malt with a fruit/plum flavour. There's also a 17yo expression but it's an expensive alternative (at least it is to buy it here).

Tried the Hibiki 12, and it is very nice. Went to a liquor shop in Tokyo station that does small tasting glasses and came away with a bottle of Fuji Gotemba (Sanroku) 18yo. Really fruity smell, taste hits early and again a nice sweet finish. Apparently pretty hard to find it outside of Japan.

One of the things I've read up on was how rich people from countries/areas like Russia, China, Australia etc etc have been all over Japanese whisky in the past couple of years and the older expressions (eg hibiki 25, 30 etc) are nowhere to be seen, even for Japanese bars so best to get some if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the Mackmyra Swedish whiskies? Quite intrigued and may be tempted if the price is right, this one is on Amazon deals at 6pm: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXL8F46/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_8707_d9dd6746?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1X0FF7RBBYCJDKGXA0YA&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=577138707

Anyone tried the Mackmyra Swedish whiskies? Quite intrigued and may be tempted if the price is right, this one is on Amazon deals at 6pm: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXL8F46/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_8707_d9dd6746?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-2&pf_rd_r=1X0FF7RBBYCJDKGXA0YA&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=577138707

Nae sure if it's the same one, but I had a Swedish whisky in Stockholm last year. I was with 2 girls from Chile and an Aussie - I threw up, and they loved it!