Mini Cooper - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Girlfriend bought a 2006 Mini Cooper

Anyone have any problems with stiff steering and sluggish perforemance ?

Know its menat to be "go-kartish" but really stiff steering and performance does not feel like a car that should be 110-115 bhp

Minis have a 'distinctive' feel to them. They have a heavier more precise steering feel to them than most small cars (Aygos, Corsa's).

They're not particularly fast but should corner better than comparable small cars.

For the heavy steering issue, check tyre pressures, if the power steering pump whines loudly when turning the steering, the pump is probably on it's way out (it's a very common problem).

I have one and personally I think it's an entirely overrated car, with lots of unbelievably annoying quirks.

Edited by Eisegerwind

Minis have a 'distinctive' feel to them. They have a heavier more precise steering feel to them than most small cars (Aygos, Corsa's).

They're not particularly fast but should corner better than comparable small cars.

For the heavy steering issue, check tyre pressures, if the power steering pump whines loudly when turning the steering, the pump is probably on it's way out (it's a very common problem).

I have one and personally I think it's an entirely overrated car, with lots of unbelievably annoying quirks.

cheers - although am thinking it might be the lower steering column which seems to be a problem as well

driving car feels like 1 of my dads tractors before they had power steering

Eisergwind - you ever changed the "For Life" Fuel filter ? thinking thats part of the problem on sluggishneess - only got car on tuesday from a car dealer and got booked into my own local garage on Monday, with list of things i want checked out

I haven't changed the fuel filter myself. If you're interested on doing work on the car yourself best check out one of the Mini forums. Modern cars are getting pretty limited on what you can do yourself, however, starting points are always new plugs, air filter,fuel filter.

no - not planning on doing anything myself - just extending my list want local garage to check,looking at the typical problems, since warranty from car dealer is pretty short

car only had a service 200km ago from them , but certainly not performing how i would expect

I had a 2006 mini cooper a few yesrs back. They are definatley unique in the way they feel to drive. It took me a while to adapt but j really enjoyed it once i got to know it. They are kind of heavy with regards to steering, but sounds like you habe more issues than that.

The clutch quite often needs changed in them too.

Hopefully its nothing major and you get it sorted.

what are you comparing it to?

1.6 na petrol engine with about 1200kgs to drag about. It's never going to be fast.

well my mark 2 golf GTI i used to have :-) + my Golf 5 TDI is 115 bhp as well

Obvious thing that was wrong was fecking garage had tyres only blown up to 26 psi - didnt think they could be that ridiculous to check 1st - only checked 5th night

got car serviced on Monday but they couldnt do Fuel Filter but driving better

got fuel filter replaced at a separate garage today and driving much better and can see fuel economy is a lot better already

well my mark 2 golf GTI i used to have :-) + my Golf 5 TDI is 115 bhp as well

golf will be about 200 kg lighter and 1.8 = more torque. That would annihilate the mini i'd imagine.

and the golf tdi will feel faster due to the low down torque peak of the turbo diesel. Golf will probably have double the peak torque at half the rpm.

theres more to car performance than peak power output

Is the power steering on Minis a hydraulic system? If so, check the drive belt is tight enough.

The current Mini appears to be bigger than my X reg Audi A4 Avant. Massive car and definitely not Mini in any real sense.

Edited by Alibi