Refugee Crisis - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Refugee Crisis

I was surprised at the number of countries the refugees are coming from this year.

For example I didn't even know there was a war in Kosovo just now

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/refugee-crisis-six-charts-that-show-where-refugees-are-coming-from-where-they-are-going-and-how-they-are-getting-to-europe-10482415.html

Edited by Mee

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really to sure that it isinevitable terrorists in amongst the refugees, it just seems to me like a scare tactic to support Britains current stance.

The other interesting thing I have found is that almost each refugee I have seen on television speaking has a perfect grasp of English and has mentioned that they have studied or want to continue studying in Europe. I was listening to something the other day and it claimed that most of the refugees are middle class, well educated Syrians who could afford to pay the fees to their traffickers, so could it no be the case that by taking on refugees who are well educated and intelligent, that in years to come it may well be of economic benefit to Britain?

It is heart breaking to see images like that of the wee boy dead on the beach. Whilst Cameron and co engage in hand wringing and putting out sound bites they are doing precious little to help these people. It would be nice to think the Scottish Govt could extend a helping hand to some of these refugees (if that's possible without the agreement of Westminster?)

It is heart breaking to see images like that of the wee boy dead on the beach. Whilst Cameron and co engage in hand wringing and putting out sound bites they are doing precious little to help these people. It would be nice to think the Scottish Govt could extend a helping hand to some of these refugees (if that's possible without the agreement of Westminster?)

Immigration policy is reserved to Westminster so Scotland can't do anything unless Westminster agrees - which they won't. No voters must be so proud that they abrogated responsibility for this sort of thing.

Know some one posted it before but when the media starts talking numbers ie Germany have taken x amount but UK has only taken x amount it can seem worse than it is due to the size of germany compared to the UK. So what is the ratio of refugees per head of population and or square mile for each country. Yes the straight numbers look bad but I don't think it will be as bad as what some are making out

Know some one posted it before but when the media starts talking numbers ie Germany have taken x amount but UK has only taken x amount it can seem worse than it is due to the size of germany compared to the UK. So what is the ratio of refugees per head of population and or square mile for each country. Yes the straight numbers look bad but I don't think it will be as bad as what some are making out

Have a look at how many Sweden have taken in proportion to their population and you'll find that yes, it's pretty fecking bad in the U.K.

Why should the TA have one united opinion on this?

This is the biggest issue facing the West in our lifetime.

There's no right and wrong answer here.

On one hand, my heart goes out to all of these people doing whatever they can to make a better future for themselves and I wish them both the best fortune and no ill will.

On the other hand, rather than "genuine asylum seekers" they're predominantly economic migrants determined to hit a top Scanders country or the UK.

And they're Muslim to boot.

Within them there's a nominal number of Wahhabi nut jobs.

7/7 apart, at least England has Mo Farah out of that mob.

At best, we've got Islam Feruz with his fake jock accent and unless he scores 20 plus goals this season, we should be limiting the mozzers here at every opportunity

And before some poofy know-nothing PC ####wit starts saying "that's anti-Islamic", firstly I've got a lot of Muslim family.

I grew up in the Middle East and was educated in a (Sunni) Muslim school.

I've been in more mosques than I have cathedrals and I have no more of an issue with Islam per se than I do with any other Abrahamic form of delusion.

The problem is Wahhabism not Sunnism - it's the most backward intolerant version of Islam going and it's spreading like a virus throughout the Muslim world. But we'll let them in and ignore them to assuage our privilege.

Aye, and it's this perverse - and perverted to a certain extent - version of Islam that is being perpetrated, encouraged and spread by the Saudis (keepers of the holiest of Islam's places) by their financing of the building of mosques and madrassas that only promote hate and intolerance.

It's no surprise - to me, anyway - that even Muslim migrants and refugees do not head east, because they don't want to live under an incredily repressive Saudi/Wahhabi regime...

There again, the Saudis tend to welcome their Islamic brothers and sisters merely to exploit and enslave them.

That said, many are keeching their thobes at the thought of ISIL turning up on their bit of desert, though I don't believe a 'fence' can protect them from the hordes. But, I'm sure the West will find the will to protect them - and their oil - should shit happen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/11344116/Revealed-Saudi-Arabias-Great-Wall-to-keep-out-Isil.html

It's weird for the media to actually show the "costs" of international action. For example white phosphorus by US and Israel, infants burned in half chemically.

I really think actually seeing what happens, like in this case proves a spur to action. Petitions etc popping up. Personally i feel really uncomfortable watching this (and i should) but i feel you need to know the real cost of politics.

Governments have to be careful about letting anyone in else there will be a real crisis when hundreds of thousands of the s start arriving, every one expecting you to bend over backwards to accomodate them. Then the locals start to get pissed off at the preferential treatment they would seem to get and the extra burden they put on services.

then the geniune migrants and asylum seekers, who should be looked after, would demand to be let in and resettled.

Its all a huge cluster####. them.

Governments have to be careful about letting anyone in else there will be a real crisis when hundreds of thousands of the s start arriving, every one expecting you to bend over backwards to accomodate them. Then the locals start to get pissed off at the preferential treatment they would seem to get and the extra burden they put on services.

then the geniune migrants and asylum seekers, who should be looked after, would demand to be let in and resettled.

Nice.

What the f*ck did I just read???

this guy, yeah?

web-refugee-crisis-2-reuters.jpg

?????

Whole situation is a shambles. When half the middle east/ north Africa is at war I don't know how you are to differntiate between refugees and economic migrants.

Even when someone is a refugee should they stop at the first country they come to, do they get temporary residency or are they allowed to pick whatever country they like to live permanently.

The image of the wee boy drowned is heart breaking and that's on the beach in Turkey where people from the UK go on holiday.

I wouldn't like to be the folk that need to decide policy here as whatever they decide is going to have Enormous repercussions

Edited by Mee

That photo is one of the saddest images I have ever seen.

Any right minded individual should be appalled at that image im not ashamed to say it moved me to tears. As a father to three boys i couldnt help but think what if that was one of mine. I dont know what needs to be done but the British government doing sweet fa about it is not feckin good enough.

That image should be on the front page of every newspaper unedited.

I am not really to sure that it isinevitable terrorists in amongst the refugees, it just seems to me like a scare tactic to support Britains current stance.

The other interesting thing I have found is that almost each refugee I have seen on television speaking has a perfect grasp of English and has mentioned that they have studied or want to continue studying in Europe. I was listening to something the other day and it claimed that most of the refugees are middle class, well educated Syrians who could afford to pay the fees to their traffickers, so could it no be the case that by taking on refugees who are well educated and intelligent, that in years to come it may well be of economic benefit to Britain?

They wouldn't get on our news if they didn't speak English. The vast majority know zero English.

jesus man, wheres your humanity?

Any right minded individual should be appalled at that image im not ashamed to say it moved me to tears. As a father to three boys i couldnt help but think what if that was one of mine. I dont know what needs to be done but the British government doing sweet fa about it is not feckin good enough.

That image should be on the front page of every newspaper unedited.

agreed Nobby. Cameron saying the issue is bringing peace to their countries of origin. but they are doing feck all about it. its a disgrace.

people moaning about this country being stretched and public services and NHS waiting times etc being bad enough at the moment.

FFS, thats a million miles away from that 3 year old drowned on a tourist beach in the Med. and the refugees pain is mostly rooted in our countries colonial past. turns my stomach.