David Bowie Deid - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bowie Deid

Was never massively into him, although I did go through a stage of playing his 'Singles Collection' album over and over whilst at school.

Fantastic musician, and I'm shocked and sorry to hear he battled such serious illnesses for so long, I had no idea he was unwell.

Charlie - he did a decent turn in Labyrinth :)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has he had a Solo no1?

Just remembered Ashes to Ashes was..

Wasn't Fame his first No1? Granted it is co-written with John Lennon, I think his involvement is just the main guitar riff and singing "Fame" in the backing vocals.

Edited by wanderer

Can't believe the filmnistas are forgetting The Hunger, even if the lipstick lesbian scene between Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve rather overshadows Bowie's contribution.

In his early days he flirted with far dodgier ideas than a bit of sentimental unionism - from Crowley to the worrying side of Nietzsche - but none of that should take away from his achievements; not least of which was picking superb collaborators: Fripp, Eno, Mick Ronson, Mike Garson ...

The reaction is probably going to seem over the top to many but I guess his effect on those whose generation is now at the height of the cultural chatterati will mean we're swamped for a day or two. That's all right by me.

When Placebo started working with him....... think they did a song for a late 90's movie soundtrack, covered T-Rex 20th Century Boy at the Brits and rerecorded "without you I am nothing" as a duet.

Velvet Goldmine?

Bit of a shock, this news. I didn't know he had been ill. I knew he'd recently released an album and when I initially saw him featured on the news this morning I assumed it was in relation to that.

One of his songs from his early 80s 'pop' phase was being played on something I was watching last night. It struck me that even when he was trying to do something mainstream it didn't really sound conventional - which is no bad thing at all.

The referendum comment was disappointing but like Donny has pointed out he had form for doing and saying controversial things. Who cares, though, really? He was an artist; it's his art that matters and he made some brilliant, ground-breaking music. It's a great shame that he won't make any more. Above all, that's what I'll remember about him.

Wasn't Fame his first No1? Granted it is co-written with John Lennon, I think his involvement is just the main guitar riff and singing "Fame" in the backing vocals.

I didn't know that. I did read once that he wrote John, I'm Only Dancing (one of my favourite Bowie songs) in response to some bemused and slightly disparaging comments made by Mr Lennon about his act.

Velvet Goldmine?

I didn't know that. I did read once that he wrote John, I'm Only Dancing (one of my favourite Bowie songs) in response to some bemused and slightly disparaging comments made by Mr Lennon about his act.

Think that was it.

Its unclear what John and Bowies relationship/friendship was like, though "Fame" was one of Johns last recording sessions before his house-husband phase.... there is the long standing rumor that Bowie was rejected Apple Records, but the actual story is something along the lines of it was a tax dodge on the Beatles part, and the original concept of people sending their demo tapes in for the Beatles to listen to got less and less as weeks went on and on (when 100's of Demo tapes were arriving in the post every day.... with Bowie demo's just getting lost amoungst this and him getting the standard "thanks for your tape, but sorry...." letter.

Yes, that totally overshadows Ziggy, Aladdin Sane and his Berlin trilogy.

:lol:

I swither on favourite albums. From The Man Who Sold The World to Scary Monsters there's not a dud (well, maybe Pinups) and you could probably include the ones straight before and after that streak. Young Americans and Station to Station are underrated in my view - albums that coincide with his revolutionary cocaine and milk diet.

I can't imagine being in Wanderer's position and coming to Bowie through the Petshop Boy's desecration of 'Hallo Space Boy'. The album version is waaay better:

Edit: Incidentally, the one duff track on Young Americans is a terrible version of 'Across the Universe' which I guess ended up there because of Lennon's involvement.

Edited by DonnyTJS

Surprised ANC's not been on with an 'I told you so' post. What's the board coming to?

On Armchair Bob's point about writing good stuff for others:

Saw Mott the Hoople at the Armadillo last year.

Cracking gig, my uncle has seen them dozen of times and we had a beer with Hunter.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

I can't imagine being in Wanderer's position and coming to Bowie through the Petshop Boy's desecration of 'Hallo Space Boy'. The album version is waaay better:

I was 13/14 at the time, and to me Bowie was just the creepy looking guy from Labyrinth and had caught on VH1 the video's for Under Pressue, Ashes to Ashes and Dancing in the Streets... nothing that really took my interest.

Spaceboy caught my attention, then found out more about him when got into Placebo in the late 90's (was also round about this time that I discovered that he originally wrote "the man who sold the world" which I just associated with Nirvana up to that point)

:lol:

I swither on favourite albums. From The Man Who Sold The World to Scary Monsters there's not a dud (well, maybe Pinups) and you could probably include the ones straight before and after that streak. Young Americans and Station to Station are underrated in my view - albums that coincide with his revolutionary cocaine and milk diet.

Edit: Incidentally, the one duff track on Young Americans is a terrible version of 'Across the Universe' which I guess ended up there because of Lennon's involvement.

Sad anecdote from me here but I never knew David Bowie was the writer of The Man Who Sold The World until recently, two days ago in fact. I assumed it was Nirvana when I first heard their version in the 90s. Recently I started playing Metal Gear Solid V and the soundtrack contains the Midge Ure version of the song which I really enjoyed and went to search for the song on Spotify and lo and behold found that Bowie wrote the song and then listened to his version and realised that I've heard it before. D'oh.

I have posted the above before - absolutely brilliant, I think (could be wrong) that Bowie wrote this with Lou Reed in mind, loved Bowie as it was his music in the 70's that really got me into music - opened the door for future genres, punk, new romantics etc etc.

RIP - Thin White Duke.

Time takes a cigarette !!

Shame but that's life, sadly.

The faux grief on social media every time someone half famous dies is incredible.

This morning a lad I know was on twitter saying how he was 'devastated' and that Bowie had been an 'inspiration' to him.

He's 28 year old and a joiner to trade.....

Shame but that's life, sadly.

The faux grief on social media every time someone half famous dies is incredible.

This morning a lad I know was on twitter saying how he was 'devastated' and that Bowie had been an 'inspiration' to him.

I genuinely did shed a wee tear this morning but it was literally that and it was when the radio played Life on Mars. I think however it was as much to do with me being 38 and an emotional old kent these days as it was anything specific to Bowie!!

I genuinely did shed a wee tear this morning but it was literally that and it was when the radio played Life on Mars. I think however it was as much to do with me being 38 and an emotional old kent these days as it was anything specific to Bowie!!

Music can be an emotional thing. If his music was something that affected you deeply then I'm not surprised you shed a tear. Shows you are human.

Music can be an emotional thing. If his music was something that affected you deeply then I'm not surprised you shed a tear. Shows you are human.

Last year I found myself welling up at an episode of "Deal or No Deal". I think there is some legs in my "emotional old kent" theory!!!

Aye, you'd think it would be Eddie Floyd instead.

Edited by Brummie Hibs