Great Train Stations - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Manchester Victoria ..... being refurbished

c03.jpg

:ok:

I've actually been there, but it was thirty years ago (since then I've always travelled to Manchester on the line that passes through Piccadillly - the exceptions being a couple of occasions when I've alighted at Salford Central and then walked across the Irwell), so I've only the vaguest recollection of the place. I'm sure it was awarded worst station award a short time back - which is probably why you posted a picture of it!

Edited by Charlie Endell

Didn't realise there was such a gradient up to the station entrance. I guess the steps up to the St. Enoch Centre were built into it?

I don't think so - the site was completely flattened and the car park that was behind Lewis's ran right up to St. Enoch Square (the rubble from the hotel and station was used to infill Queen's Dock - SECC now stands on the site).

They demolished the hotel because GCC said the site was needed for offices for the MoD, which would bring jobs to Glasgow - unsurprisingly those jobs never materialised and the site was a car park until they started work on the St Enoch Centre.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Even if they'd saved the facade of the hotel it would have been something - they could have built the shopping centre behind it.

One of my earliest memories (I reckon 1973 / 74) was being taken into town by my grandfather and parking in the station (I can just recall the roof of the train shed above).

Even if they'd saved the facade of the hotel it would have been something - they could have built the shopping centre behind it.

One of my earliest memories (I reckon 1953 / 54) was being taken into town by my grandfather and parking in the station (I can just recall the roof of the train shed above).

I fixed your typo.......

Edited by andymac

There is a fantastic old dining room in Basel SBB Bahnhof.

Bahnhofsbuffet-basel-2.jpg

The "German" railway station in Basel, Basel Badischer Bahnhof is really interesting although not particularly that impressive a building. It's a Deutsche Bahn run station and while the booking office is in Switzerland the platforms are technically in Germany. There is an underpass from the booking hall to the platforms and as Switzerland is in Schengen, there is no passport control but there is a customs post. When I was there I was waling down at the same time as a few other people, two of who "looked a bit foreign". No prizes for guessing who got pulled by customs - hint, it wasn't me.

Righto, think I mind my dad parking there on trips into the city.

Architectural vandals is the right phrase, what a beautiful building it was...

That's exactly my memory of St Enoch's station, my dad parking there on trips up to the city.

Off on a tangent, has anyone looked into the proposals for Glasgow Crossrail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail_Glasgow

To "enable" this you are only talking about around 500m of track roughly from the Brazen Head to a point just west of the junction of Cathcart Road and Aitkenhead Roads, which is entirely light industrial or waste ground.

This is the old southern line into St. Enoch's and would open up both cross Glasgow traffic - roughly NE to SW without having to go through either Central or Queen St. Speaking purely parochially, if you put a new station in at the bottom of Cathcart Road, you could bring trains from anywhere in Scotland directly to within 1km of Hampden.