Snp Deputy Leadership Contest - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snp Deputy Leadership Contest

The leadership is a foregone conclusion, however the deputy leadership will be interesting.

So far Tranport and Veterans Minister, Keith Brown MSP has put himself in the contest as has Stewart Hosie MP.

Straight off i will say i support Keith Brown for the deputy leadership i think he would be a great deputy to Nicola Sturgeon as leader. He was my first choice looking at them all, i think Stewart Hosie can't be deputy leader whilst in Westminster, it is a fairly irrelevant place for us. I think our focus has to be at Holyrood therefore our leaders should be there.

Edited by rasputin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large intake of SNP MPs in Westminster 2015 sends a very important message to those we will be negotiating with and I would like the deputy leader to lead that group, their voting power could be crucial in a hung parliament we may not like it but Westminster is where real power lies at this time. Stewart Hosie gets my vote.

Keith Brown already has the support of half of all MSPs but I think all members get a vote so the new members may well decide Humza is the man.

Keith Brown for me. He's done a solid job as Transport minister especially over the last 2 winters and he doesn't allow himself to get baited. Hosie, much as I think he's extremely capable, has occasionally appeared dismissive of criticism. Humza, is a bit of a charmer but is too young in this game for the inevitable onslaught that the media will thrust upon whoever the DL is.

I don't think Brown has got it.. he is good at his job,but not a leader/dep I am afraid.

its Hosie for me.. a street fighter from Dundee, comes over well on TV... Westminster is the focus for the next 6 months...

maybe have 2 deputies a Westminster ne and a Holyrude one...

all new members will get a vote , It is One member One vote....

there are more new members than old members, so who knows what will happen...

I don't think Brown has got it.. he is good at his job,but not a leader/dep I am afraid.

its Hosie for me.. a street fighter from Dundee, comes over well on TV... Westminster is the focus for the next 6 months...

maybe have 2 deputies a Westminster ne and a Holyrude one...

all new members will get a vote , It is One member One vote....

there are more new members than old members, so who knows what will happen...

Isn't real democracy great? And unpredictable? I'd forgotten what it looked like.

Probably Stewart Hosie for me. I actually like the thought of having the deputy in Westminster so that the leadership team are spread across both parliaments - now more than ever we could be doing with consolidating and enhancing our presence at Westminster. Too many people see Westminster as not worth caring about which is ironic. Across both parliaments is a challenge as well though - the distance means more difficult for Sturgeon and Hosie to be a close team and ensuring they are on same page. Hosie always a very capable performer from what I've seen although can be quite dismissive but Im not sure that's a bad thing from a leadership point of view. Keith Brown seems decent enough but is missing something for me.

Out of the two, I'd probably opt for Hosie but not a bad decision to have. Definitely too soon for Humza.

Quite surprised Angus Robertson hasnt stepped up, suggesting he doesnt have support behind the scenes. Hosie as Deputy will mean a demotion of sorts for Angus.