Alexander Elliot Salmond - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alexander Elliot Salmond

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a great feature on Channel4 News just before the referendum (may still be on their website). Jon Snow followed him to Linlithgow and interviewed him in his old bedroom in the cooncil hoose he grew up in.

Nice to see a political leader and "man of the people" who has had a genuinely normal upbringing.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the reason I wanted to have the referendum within the term of the 70 seats was that you would never know when or if that opportunity might arise again.

Another part was that being in Government tends to make you unpopular in the end and it grinds you down through the continual pressure and stress so 4 years was long enough to prove credibility and then go for it.

But another major mostly unspoken part for me was to take advantage of Alex Salmond before he got too old or wearied for it. I could not think of a better person to lead that campaign and I could not think of a better person to negotiate the path to full self governance had we won. We have lost a massive opportunity by voting No but also to have this man lead us through Yes.

Edited by thplinth

If Scotland ever has that choice again... and it is a huge if, then maybe they will pick Yes. This board by then will be something else. All the people I 'know' on here will be long gone. My parents, my other living relatives in Scotland long dead.

I am so glad we took our chance when we did, even if we lost. I found out who my friends are. Was that losing, naw. It is what it is.

I'm not so sure he is a royalist. Perhaps he and the SNP compromised to maximise the YES vote?

Yeah, maybe.

I'm a (now) SNP member and a firm republican, but it's not the be all and end all, get Indy first and then I'll back a republic ticket from there on.

As for Eck, he's a legend alright. I've just defaced my only Scotland flag ( a wee one) with "THE DREAM WILL NEVER DIE" (Alex Salmond 19/09/2014).

He'll be our first President, a ceremonial role like auld Eireann has, but still, he'll be our first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...