Gambling - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been gambling for 30 years, and not got a problem with it. I've had many a big win, but also many a big loss. I don't have any accounts, and bet what I can afford to lose. If i fancy something il have a bet, if I don't I won't.

I bet on horse racing and american golf, along with major football tournaments. As these are events that I follow with interest on a daily/weekly basis. And events where I can use my learned knowledge to hopefully gain fruitful pickings.

I suppose it's horses for courses, but if you stick to what you know/afford ( everyone will have different limits/niches) gambling is fun, and can be profitable. If not it can be a slippery slope.

I was taught two sayings which I have remembered for a long time, and they are:

1. Stick to what you know

2. They tame lions at this game.

Be lucky folks

No more than the occasional flutter. I'll stick something on the golf for the majors, one or two bets on the World Cup and Euro Champs, the national, occasionally another horse race. I understand how to read the form on the horses, and have occasionally spotted something in there that's got me a winner, but it'll only be one or two times a year I stick a bet on them.

Spend enough on my other vices to start gambling too much.

I used to keep records of my bets.

2009 I was up £5000

2010 I was down £3000

2011 I was up £800

2012 I was down £1700

2013 I stopped keeping records, as I didnt bet a lot, Id guess I was down a few hundred, 2014, again no records, but with the Independence disaster, and my complete inability to win anything, Im probably in the region of £2000 down.

My successful year was mainly thanks to bookies introductory offers.

Madrid -1 at 2/1 and arsenal evens two singles and a double £50 on and 200 back means gambling is decent again. Then a tenner on Merlin's Millions on the hills website turned into £150. Happy days.

Motherwell (+1) @ 7/4 at pittodrie tomorow is decent value for money in my opinion.

Motherwell are pish, but Aberdeen haven't been much better? And Motherwell have a pretty good record at pittodrie in recent years.

Motherwell haven't lost at pittodrie since November 2008, and Aberdeen have only managed one league win at fir park in that time, although that was the most recent fixture...

Is bad, don't do it.

Only if you don't know how to do it properly :-))

Key is in the word gamble (betting on a chance outcome). Learn from what the bookies do. They don't gamble, They operate a business whereby they offer and take bets based on a thorough understanding of odds (probability), randomness, reversion to the mean and intrinsic value. But above all that they also understand psychology and that most people gamble because it's more important to them to be able to brag that they called it correctly than to be consistently profitable (what Freud called the ego). To those people it's all about being right more often than being wrong, regardless of whether they make any real money or not.

Successful gamblers understand they will probably be wrong more often than they will be right (that their strike rate is immaterial) because by only betting to value odds and staking their bets properly they accumulate steady and consistent profits.

There are stats aplenty that show (across the spectrum of categories) favourites in horse races only win between 25-35% of races. Yet people still blindly bet a favourite at odds of less than 4/1. That's not to say a fave at shorter odds, or even odds-on, isn't the genuine odds favourite. But it says you cannot come out ahead by blindly betting favourites - and it helps explain why bookies make money consistently.

Only if you don't know how to do it properly :-))

Key is in the word gamble (betting on a chance outcome). Learn from what the bookies do. They don't gamble, They operate a business whereby they offer and take bets based on a thorough understanding of odds (probability), randomness, reversion to the mean and intrinsic value. But above all that they also understand psychology and that most people gamble because it's more important to them to be able to brag that they called it correctly than to be consistently profitable (what Freud called the ego). To those people it's all about being right more often than being wrong, regardless of whether they make any real money or not.

Successful gamblers understand they will probably be wrong more often than they will be right (that their strike rate is immaterial) because by only betting to value odds and staking their bets properly they accumulate steady and consistent profits.

There are stats aplenty that show (across the spectrum of categories) favourites in horse races only win between 25-35% of races. Yet people still blindly bet a favourite at odds of less than 4/1. That's not to say a fave at shorter odds, or even odds-on, isn't the genuine odds favourite. But it says you cannot come out ahead by blindly betting favourites - and it helps explain why bookies make money consistently.

Thats_plenty.jpg

Took a punt about seven months ago, after a year of very unsexy sex on demand, that I'd obviously taken enough balls to the balls at fives to ruin any chances of a Thistle Junior coming along so decided to buy a Cooper S. Probably down to some sort of psychological regression coming to terms with being a Jaffa but before the V5 in my name has even hit the mat Mrs Whistle is throwing up all over the shop.

Had a flyer too that I could reduce the Scottish Gas DD's around that time after the mild winter only to find my wife now has the heating on full tw@t on a daily basis as it's got a bit parky. Understandable really as every window in the gaff is wide open due to the dog; me; the Glade Winter Fjord Plug-in turned to 11 after she heard the dog fart once last December with the living room constantly now smelling like an elf on the pull and; anything edible which is even remotely tasty making her projectile vomit. One such occasion, after I'd made my household renowned Bolognese out a jar but with liberal amounts of fresh peppers chucked in, she turned white at one look and ran for the bathroom. Within 5 seconds of reaching the toilet shouted to me that she was ok and started making her way back to the kitchen- thought to myself 'Bet you aren't' and sure enough within two seconds she'd turned around and sprayed the bathroom walls, floor, towels, my toothbrush, etc with copious amounts of vomit. Not a great win; we argued a little about who should tidy it up as I thought the abject stupidity of having just a cursory glance at the bowl before deciding all was clear negated me any responsibility. On mediation via NetMums the threat of an angry flash mob turning up outside, most of whom would like to remove parts of me I'd become rather attached to with a text vote open regards which of a wide variety of blunt objects would be utilised, cleared my judgment allowing contemplation of 7 months of dry chicken and rice.

Last month my Mrs woke me in a total panic, fear dripping from her shrill voice, in the middle of the night. Took a drowsy gamble that she'd heard a burglar, or worse Oscar had popped round and was about to start enquiring if rooms were occupied in his usual manner, so leapt naked drenched in sweat from beneath our 564 toggle duvet. Still remember the strange sensation of the cold night breeze making my plums shrivel whilst simultaneously pain shooting through me due to burning my arse on the scolding hot radiator. Assuming the Daniel Son karate pose that had led me to my Yellow Belted glory back in the day I earnestly tried to elicit a 'fight' response from deep within rather than the 'jump oot the windae pronto' response that was threatening to consume me. 'Whistle! We haven't even got bumpers for the cot! Are you going toilet - can you get me a water?' As my heart returned to ground level I pointed out it was 5 months before baby would be in a cot and, more pertinently, Mothercare aren't open at 3 in the f**king morning! She wished to continue this conversation, comparing our state of readiness to my brother's wife, but wanting to sleep before 7 am a week on Tuesday I told her to shut up. Not a wise manoeuvre and Mount Crazy exploded like the Icelandic volcano.

Not wanting to cause travel chaos for winter sun seekers I capitulated and agreed to go to Mothercare with her that week in the hope the lid would unflip thus reverting to just the usual mild steam from the ears on the hour. I again lost a bet with my happy, but now annoyingly smug wife, that half of Mothercare would fit in the Mini if we put the seats down and shoogled the shopping around a bit. I cursed that stupid f**king car all the way home, all the way back to the store in my brother's more practical vehicle and all the way home again.

I won a bet with the Mrs that, after she'd gone rogue and reneged on the original dusted pink/intense biscuit combo for nursery, instead going for what can only be described 'Eurovision Pink', that it would be overtly loud unless the latest scan revealed we were possibly having a transvestite. Pyric victory as Intense Biscuit wasn't intense enough to kill the two walls I managed to do Tranny Pink, before collapsing from a migraine, in less than 3 coats.

Wagered the wife would change her mind on the swivel chair for nursery we were buying. Foolishly told her the 3 piece was paid so got dragged to DFS. I took her up to the ex-display stuff, situated one stop from the skip where not even trainee sales staff venture, in the hope that something thousands of sweaty arses had tried before may take her fancy. Nope, she was adamant we were going to an even smaller section of the store - the full price section. Sales staff were all over us now: one was taking the order; one was on coffee; the token lass who is usually hidden in the back for admin roles, aftersales arse slapping and 80's innuendo was allowed out on day release on the strict understanding she could only speak about babies and; one lad phoning head office to let them know Dundee was the first store in history to sell someone a full price item. I'm expecting balloons to drop from the ceiling and my face to be trending on Twitter as the orange salesman in a shirt two sizes less than required takes a selfie for posterity #DFSXmasBashSorted #Mug with even Darwin Award Winners pissing themselves - 'I know I stapled my bollocks to my thigh but look at what this bell end has gone and done!'

During halftime in the Poland game took an absolute flyer that I could investigate the safari mating noises emanating from the bathroom before the second half kicked off. It was like a science practical - speed of light lets me realise first what was causing my Mrs physiognomy to contort like a gurning champion has ceased to be an issue. This is followed by the speed of sound as the chunty nearly cracks after a direct hit from her depth charger. It's at this point I realise she's started taking the Iron tablets even though I've been subjected to eating more spinach than even Popeye after getting a great deal on Laterooms and planning on using it to Tantric sex the sh!t out of Olive Oil over a bank holiday weekend. We then enter an inane conversation that only couples can whilst she reloads the shoots to go U-Boat hunting again but after about 60 seconds it smashes in to me like a car crash - the speed of smell. It's like the HMS Albion has allowed the crew leave to drink nothing but Guinness, it's facilities have subsequently packed in on return so they've docked off Carnoustie Beach, all rowed ashore pure pegging, our house is the first to answer and whilst the sailor who shouted 'Shotgun' gets the throne the other 599 grew impatient and just shat in the bath. I was determined to remain conscious though as ironically it's the only room in the house with a closed window so I need to fling it open before paint starts peeling from the walls because there's no way I'm letting her back behind a Dulux colour wheel any time soon.

With my head light from lack of oxygen I stretch to the window and realise a searing pain in my gonads all of a sudden. It's not totally unpleasant as takes my mind off the smell. On looking down though I realise the wife has hold of them and is looking me square in the eye 'You and me Now!'. I'm about to argue as the football will be back on but she reads this and squeezes tighter to the point a second child may still be possible before I can counter.

I know I'm doomed to miss at least 10 more minutes as her fat ankles, my angry bell end being inches from our baby and the smell of shite pure hanging from her are total turnoffs. I go straight in at number three from the bank - Geography teacher, field trip to Warwick Castle, leather trousers, no bra and almost dry humping the guide. My mum told the story of the 24 single sock wash week after that excursion to every lady entering my life; even a random lass I got paired with at uni for only one project - we got 12/15 but understandably didn't maintain contact. No good - number two the cougar from first work who wanted to give the 19 year old me a lift 25 miles totally out of her way after a fancy dress party where she went as a school girl whilst her husband was away with the army. I said 'no thanks' not of fear of him but fear she would totally ruin me! Still no good so fail safe number 1 is out; Scotland could be winning by now so don't let me down. Part time yoga teacher who only wears short skirts and has demonstrated the splits in the office. It usually ends with me bending her over the photocopier, taking a scan of her sexually ecstatic coupon and emailing the resultant 'ImYourDaddy' titled document around the office. On this occasion though I've emailed the office, the claims folk in Edinburgh, our partners in Singapore and the back office folk in Mumbai using their full names rather than Dave 27 and everything. This has gone from a sexual fantasy to an Office Junior role and is getting me no place - Scotland could be kicking off v Ireland by now!

I realise I've had my eyes scrunched up way too long and she'll know the crack if she clocks me. On opening them, things get worse as I see a little hand popping out of her belly in a sign that is universally understood to mean Stop. Not even born yet and I have to disappoint her as, if I do alight, her black widow mother is likely to kill me on the spot. Hang in there baby I'll finish this for both of us - then it hits me - it is so obvious it is untrue - romance isn't dead - I'll pretend I'm making love to my wife before she had the ankles of an elephant and shat like one too. I'm about to get back on it with added gusto, tongue out to the left, when I hear what goes straight in to the top spot of worst sex talk between us ever and there's some sizable competition for that accolade:

5) Ceiling could do a lick of paint

4) Has that f***ing dog farted again!

3) What time's Strictly?

2) Your mum prefers your brother's wife to me.

And straight in at number one - a snore. I'm not sure to start with so retract the tongue slowing the pace but second time it is beyond doubt. I'm busting a gut back here, baby already hates my guts and she's fallen asleep. Even I draw the line and withdraw defeated and deflated. Remembering my objective, I'm out of the room naked before she's finished mumbling that it was 'amazing', and sadly I mentally chalk it up, before bounding down the stairs four at a time. I get to the tele in time to see we're winning but just as Poland's second unfolds and my Scotland 2-1 is up the swanny!

I've gone for ICT, Stoke Draw, Real and Chelsea this weekend so probably best to stay away from those based on my form this year.

Mini Cooper S 2006, 70,000 miles - PM me if interested. May swap for a Picasso.

Edited by ThistleWhistle