Abandoned Places In Scotland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Abandoned Places In Scotland

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Celtic cross hidden in the woods in the area of Dun 5 miles west of Montrose. This is a memorial to the village of Burnside of Dun which was abandoned sometime after WW1.The stones of the old houses can be seen amounst the trees but not much else remains of the village.No one really knows why it was abandoned.

There is another just south of Montrose where my mother was born. It was a fishtown called Usan where at its hight had 500 inhabitants now only a family of salmond fishers.

I was going to post a photo of the ruined village but it says I cant do so in this community.

The village where Bill and Bob Shankly were born had to be abandoned owing to mining subsidence didn't it ?

Glenbuck just outside Muirkirk. It was obliterated by open-cast mining. There were still a few houses left in the '80s; I cycled through what was left of the village. There's a memorial to Bob just off the Muirkirk to Douglas road (at the entrance to the road that at one time led to Glenbuck). Edited by Charlie Endell

Glenbuck just outside Muirkirk. It was obliterated by open-cast mining. There were still a few houses left in the '80s; I cycled through what was left of the village. There's a memorial to Bob just off the Muirkirk to Douglas road (at the entrance to the road that at one time led to Glenbuck).

:ok: for setting me right.

Very sad that Glenbuck went that way. Was there no effort to try and save at least part of it back in the day ?

:ok: for setting me right.

Very sad that Glenbuck went that way. Was there no effort to try and save at least part of it back in the day ?

I think by the '80s all that was left were a few nondescript cottages - it was about 30 years ago, so my memory of it is vague. Open-cast mining was / is big in the area - I'm sure Scotland's largest open-cast mine was just just over the hills in Coalburn - a wee village wouldn't have stood a chance, even with it being the birthplace of the great Bob.

I'm pretty sure the memorial to Bob was paid for by Liverpool fans.

Edited by Charlie Endell

There is a Celtic cross hidden in the woods in the area of Dun 5 miles west of Montrose. This is a memorial to the village of Burnside of Dun which was abandoned sometime after WW1.The stones of the old houses can be seen amounst the trees but not much else remains of the village.No one really knows why it was abandoned.

There is another just south of Montrose where my mother was born. It was a fishtown called Usan where at its hight had 500 inhabitants now only a family of salmond fishers.

I was going to post a photo of the ruined village but it says I cant do so in this community.

Not far away on St. Cyrus beach, isn't there an abandoned settlement also? Hidden in amongst the tall grass just off the beach. I seem to remember an old ruined church with a graveyard and a couple of old fishing houses.