Wasps - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wasps

ibelieve!!!

Saw them using the example of London Irish playing at Reading.

Part of me can see why they would consider this move.... London has never really taken to Wasps (though they draw massive crowds at Twickenham for the opening weekend London Derbies) and bar Northampton, there is a massive untapped rugby support in this area looking for a club to support, plus they played a few European games at Coventry few years back, and drew good crowds.

Guest flumax

bar Northampton, there is a massive untapped rugby support in this area looking for a club to support, .

Hmmm you are forgetting that one of the most successful club sides in the professional era, Leicester tigers, are less than 25 miles away.

Hmmm you are forgetting that one of the most successful club sides in the professional era, Leicester tigers, are less than 25 miles away.

Also one of the great old amateur rugby clubs in Coventry, plus Worcester (relegated from top flight last year) very close by

Oxford and Gloucester only an hour away as well.

Edited by biffer

I can see a "Merger" between Wasps and Coventry RFC, with Coventry taking the place of Wasps in the top flight.

(local team, in a local ground), with the Wasps "brand" dying.

A bit like Lindon Welsh with London Scottish.

J

London Scottish are still going though. They're currently third in the Championship (second tier in England)

London Scottish are the "Oldco", they sold themselves (and Richmond did) to London Irish (I ment London Irish earlier).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-union-walkinshaw-getting-away-with-merger-1098511.html

I'm guessing somthing similar may be afoot. A bit like NFL franchises.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

London Scottish are the "Oldco", they sold themselves (and Richmond did) to London Irish (I ment London Irish earlier).http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-union-walkinshaw-getting-away-with-merger-1098511.html

I'm guessing somthing similar may be afoot. A bit like NFL franchises.

J

The pro side was sold to L'Oirish, but the amateur side remained and worked their way back up through the divisions.

The pro side was sold to L'Oirish, but the amateur side remained and worked their way back up through the divisions.

Yip, got a mate who played for them (L,Scottish).

Was just thinking there will be some Jiggery Pokery going on, with it being an easy "in" to ditch the Wasps brand and use the Coventry name. Much easier to fill a stadium if they are cheering the local team.

J