Singapore / Kho Samui / Bangkok - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Singapore / Kho Samui / Bangkok

The Kilt

agreed way too much. Samui and Phangan are on the other side of the thai peninsula as well from Krabi and phuket. then chang mai is right up inland. seems like madness to me. one of the best bits of the islands is the chance to chill out a bit. even getting to kho tao from bankok will take most of the day surely?

BKK > Kho Tao - overnight bus 9pm - 8.45 am - Flight + Ferry was going to be 7-8 hours during day so going with bus

only booked 1st night in BKK - rest will book when get there

10.40am flight tomorrow from Cape Town

BKK > Kho Tao - overnight bus 9pm - 8.45 am - Flight + Ferry was going to be 7-8 hours during day so going with bus

only booked 1st night in BKK - rest will book when get there

10.40am flight tomorrow from Cape Town

Fair enough but I would spend a bit more time in some of the islands.

• 4 weeks later...

Flying to Oz via Singapore on the ya and Kuala Lumpur on the way back. I'll spend a night in Singapore on the way and maybe 1 or 2 in KL on the way back. Will have about 5/6 nights and was looking at Vietnam and Angora Watt s potential destinations. Just wondering if there was anyone that has been or any other suggestions before I book up. Cheers

Angkor Wat is an incredible place. You have the big main temple, which is great to look at. However, I much prefer the smaller satellite ones - especially the one with the overgrown trees. That is amazing.

The closet town is Siem Reap, however there isn't really anything else there to warrant more than your visit to Angkor Watt. Depending on how much of a tourist buff you are, you could get away with one night in Siem Reap, and spend the whole day at AW.

There is nothing in Phnom Penh, apart from the crazy traffic (I would go there just to try to cross the road once). Apart from one temple and a poor museum, then there is nothing else worth staying more than a night for. You can drive (get driven) to Siem Reap - it'll take about 6 hours and it is an experience. Cambodian folk are really friendly.

I was seriously disappointed in Ho Chi Minh City - don't like the city, the people or the attitude. I haven't been anywhere else in Vietnam, but I doubt I'll go back to find out if it is better.

Edited by Brummie Hibs

Flying to Oz via Singapore on the ya and Kuala Lumpur on the way back. I'll spend a night in Singapore on the way and maybe 1 or 2 in KL on the way back. Will have about 5/6 nights and was looking at Vietnam and Angora Watt s potential destinations. Just wondering if there was anyone that has been or any other suggestions before I book up. Cheers

Vietnam is an amazing place. Visited there last year whilst on a trip to Singapore. Ho Ch Minh City and Hoi An I went to. Have to disagree with brummiehibs as I thought it was an amazing place. The City was a real eye opener granted but we did a private tour on the back of motorbikes and the lads that took us really couldn't have been nicer. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Angus_Young

To OP As some have said it's very expensive in places but it can be done a bit cheaper and it's well worth getting out into the local areas. Some of my highlights/points of note. p.s most of these revolve around food, my apologies :-))

I ate at Clarke Quay and it was good but very expensive. I personally loved the Hawker centres because you could try lots of different things and it didn't cost a small fortune. The Reverse Bungee is well worth a shot for the insanity and great views.

The two Hawker centres I went to was East Coast and Newton Circus. East Coast was a bit bigger and had more variety with Newton focusing more on seafood. The chilli crab is superb and I also had the black pepper one. You get in a total state eating it but it's very good. If you dont know what a Hawker centre is (I didn't) basically you get a table number and just go round various stalls ordering a few different things fro the table and everyone digs in. I think the large bottles of beer were around £3.50

Maxwell Thai food Centre. The Chilli Seabass here was amazing.

Mustafa Indian Centre (go to restaurant on the roof) and even if you don't need anything have a wander into the supermarket on one of the floors. the indian quarter was a lot of fun on a Friday night as I recall.
China Town - again very laid back but rammed at the same time. Head into the market area and there are loads of bars dotted about that do cracking food. Great place to go if you want to sit and have a few beers one day. We sat there all day one saturday and got pished. I had the luxury of quite a while in the city though so didn;t feel like I was wasting a day. Also make sure you try Bak Kwa. There are various stalls in China Town.

Go to Ku De Ta on the top deck of Marina Bay Sands Hotel. One of the coolest bars in the world.

Wander around the Arab Quarter, Arab Street, Haji Lane, Kandahar Street etc. Beautiful old part of town with funky bars which are a lot cheaper than the sky high drink prices elsewhere in the city.

Go to the zoo, it's really damn good. The elephant show is amazing

If you have youngsters with you, Universal Studios was good. I personally thought that was about the only thing worth doing on Sentosa Island, others may well disagree.

Go to raffles for a Sling and peanuts and prepare to be underwhelmed.

Go to Botanic Gardens......if you like flowers and plants that is, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Walk down Orchard Road at a weekday lunchtime admiring the sheer mayhem of it. I went into a few shops for a laugh. Now I like a nice polo but £400 in the Dior shop was just hilarious.

that's all I can really think of just now!!

Edited by Angus_Young